Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 02:32 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The definition is clear. Those rifles designed to kill people. How is that for simple. We will leave it to the technical committee to work the details.

And any time you think filling in swimming pools is a simple thing I invite you to try it....
How about hammers, clubs, and fists? Are they made to kill as well?

FBI: More People Killed with Fists & Hammers Than with Rifles & Shotguns)

FBI: Hammers, Clubs Kill More People Than Rifles, Shotguns « CBS DC

Old 05-31-2014, 02:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
That is the whole point of the second, history has proven that you have a reasonable expectation that you may have to do just that. You may have to hold off multiple intruders, you may have to protect a neighborhood.

I know I am going to get the whole "that can't happen here" response, but history has proven that peaceful societies can face major upheaval over night. What about disaster areas, a PDW style rifle seems wholly appropriate. It is well known that thugs become roving gangs in those scenarios. There are plenty of possibilities that people could face way more widespread disasters... if you disarm everyone but the criminals who have small to medium caliber semi-auto rifles already, they are incredibly vulnerable and the criminals have nothing to fear.

The fact that under present circumstances the greater risk is from small groups of people or individuals doing home invasions and such doesn't negate the fact that circumstances change, and history shows they can change very rapidly.

What do you think about 9mm semi-auto sub-machine guns like the p90 or the MP5? They seem like very appropriate home defense weapons, especially if you are facing multiple intruders.

(I know 9mm is not the "stock" caliber of these guns, but as with most guns like this, there are all kind of variants.)
I would think the issue on any urban suburban weapon is range and penetration. The air marshall armament is probably the sort of thing to use. Very limited penetration of walls.

Natural disasters may lead to roving gangs but they may in fact be the police. If NOLA is any model the gangs you would have had to fight to maintain possession of your weapon were the police...who were well armed and armored. I would think that curse may well lead to a very bad outcome even if you are right...Correct and dead. I am aware of very few home invasions where there were multiple armed intruders. I am sure it happens but it is statistically very rare. And what do you use for a planning case? The 99.95 limit? If so you need to be able to stand off an armed vehicle.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
The definition is clear. Those rifles designed to kill people. How is that for simple. We will leave it to the technical committee to work the details.

And any time you think filling in swimming pools is a simple thing I invite you to try it....
Actually firearms are designed to deliver a projectile at a distance accurately and reliably. Some more so than others.
It can be argued that the 1911 was designed specifically for killing people. Filipino's to be exact, but Mr. Browning was a genius and loved his craft. He simply tried to design the perfect semiautomatic handgun. I believe he succeeded.
Rifles. All are designed for reliability and accuracy. To place a projectile repeatedly in the same place.
Military weapons, meaning fully automatic capable. Designed for reliability and accuracy. A weapon is useless if it can't hit what you aim at or has a problem feeding ammunition.

Your pool comment. No lie. They never seem to stop settling.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:13 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstladdiebrad1953 View Post
Um,the U.S. left,being rational human beings,unlike the tea baggers,and 995 of other "re-thuglicans",hate being the world's only armed madhouse.9A book title,incidentally.)
Also,the ONLY Western nation stepped in state-sponsored murder,or,as the Troglodytes justify this insanity,"Capital punishment!!!!!"

What in the world did you happen to BLURT out?

Old 05-31-2014, 05:18 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
The definition is clear.
TRANSLATION: I just made it up.

Quote:
Those rifles designed to kill people.
TRANSLATION: I know this has been debunked in this forum at least a dozen times, but maybe enough time has passed that I can tell the same lie again and get away with it, hoping that someone believes me.

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 05-31-2014 at 06:01 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 05:32 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Has anyone actually MET a person in real-life who "wants to take guns away from everyone?"

I've lived my whole life in "blue states" that are predominately run by "liberals," and I can't say I've ever met anyone like that. I've met people who don't want to own a gun for personal reasons, and I've met plenty of people who - rightly - want some degree of gun control and ID to try to minimize needless crimes and violence (criminals buying guns, people with mental health problems buying guns, etc.), but I've never met somebody who "wants to get rid of all guns." Aside from perhaps the elite at the top who - regardless of party - would like to see the citizens disarmed, I'm not convinced these "disarm America" people actually exist in numbers greater than other inconsequential fringe groups (Flat-Earthers, people who believe that they've been abducted by aliens, etc.)

On the other hand, despite living in "liberal-land," I've met no shortage of people with gun-fetishes: people who to kill: "those people," NATO troops, the "guberment," "communists," and so on. Those are the people who I KNOW exist, and, quite frankly, they are a messed up group.

For the record, I support the 2nd Amendment, though I do believe that guns, like cars, shouldn't just be handed out with no questions asked (no ID, no training, etc.)

The topic of automobiles isn't enumerated in the Constitution.
You claim to support the 2A but with stipulations. You just infringed on the right to bear arms by asking for ID and suggesting training. What training does one need other than to have another demonstrate how the gun works and watch to see if the weapon operates properly? The person acquiring the weapon should have enough sense to know not to act stupid with it - training doesn't accomplish that task as the owner of the weapon is still human; flawed to no end.
How many more stipulations are you willing to recommend?

Old 05-31-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
TRANSLATION: I just made it up.

TRANSLATION: I know this has been debunked in this forum at least a dozen times, but maybe enough time has passed that I can tell the same lie again and get away with it, hoping that someone believes me.
Of course I just made it up. That is a given. YOu had to consider it for most of a day before you could understand what was plainly stated?

The definition itself is elegantly clear and simple. One can ask nothing more of a definition.

A definition cannot be debunked. It is. And the fact you wish to keep the discussion murky simply betrays your lack of a good argument.

The basic indictment leading to this term and its definition is that gunnies deliberately obfuscate the discussion by concentrating on "assault rifle" rather than any real issue.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The topic of automobiles isn't enumerated in the Constitution.
You claim to support the 2A but with stipulations. You just infringed on the right to bear arms by asking for ID and suggesting training. What training does one need other than to have another demonstrate how the gun works and watch to see if the weapon operates properly? The person acquiring the weapon should have enough sense to know not to act stupid with it - training doesn't accomplish that task as the owner of the weapon is still human; flawed to no end.
How many more stipulations are you willing to recommend?
Sorry but that issue was settled by the USSC. It said that reasonable regulation is allowable under the second.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
The definition itself is elegantly clear and simple. One can ask nothing more of a definition.
Accuracy would be nice. But fanatics such as yourself have never minded leaving that out. Lying about something to forward an agenda, is so common for you, you probably never even notice you're doing it.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Accuracy would be nice. But fanatics such as yourself have never minded leaving that out. Lying about something to forward an agenda, is so common for you, you probably never even notice you're doing it.
You have no point. You have not the faintest idea what I believe or don't. You have not the faintest idea of what agenda I support. A complete and simple definition is totally accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies