Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 01:29 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There is nothing good about the gun trade. Guns have always been an annoyance in this country but now they have become a major issue. It's time to severely curtail the gun business.
Not gonna happen. Find a new cause to champion. May I suggest one that doesn't involve a RIGHT enshrined in the Constitution? Like maybe Save The Whales? Adopt A Highway? Books for Prisoners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 01:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
This has nothing to do with the sale of guns and everything to do with the demise of the crack era and better policing tactics in major cities where these murders were happening. Everyone knows this. NYC had 2,245 murders in 1991 and down to 536 in 2010. Go look up why those murders went down, it's not because more drug dealers had guns.
I think it's because the thugs were given their death penalty in utero.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Well the use of the internet has also skyrocketed at the same time, did the internet cause the crime to go down??
Wow. Another hysteric trying to tell us that the presence of the internet, will have the same effect on crime rates, as the presence of law-abiding citizens with guns. Where do these loons come from?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:39 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
This has nothing to do with the sale of guns
Got any evidence to back up this bit of wishful thinking?

Quote:
Everyone knows this.
The Soviet state-run newspaper Pravda always used this assertion as "proof" that what they said was true. Especially when it wasn't true. Is that all you have?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not gonna happen. Find a new cause to champion. May I suggest one that doesn't involve a RIGHT enshrined in the Constitution?
Lol, LaPierre said this morning that part of the problem is video games and music videos. Don't they involve a RIGHT enshrined in the Constitution? Why, yes. Yes they do. That old thorn in the side of the finger shaking righties who want the left to shut up: The freedom of speech. Maybe all the fondlers need to get on the same page if they're going to run with the rights of the Constitution as their talking point. Because right now they are funking Bill of Rights 101.

My goodness how the righties hate it when anyone else exercises a Constitutional right. Why, just in this thread the OP tried to re-direct their efforts because he doesn't like what they have to say. Uproarious!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not gonna happen. Find a new cause to champion. May I suggest one that doesn't involve a RIGHT enshrined in the Constitution? Like maybe Save The Whales? Adopt A Highway? Books for Prisoners?
Amendments were meant to be amended. That's why the are called amendments.

The time for gun rights has passed. I see hunting rifles only in the future with very limited capabilities.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Wow. Another hysteric trying to tell us that the presence of the internet, will have the same effect on crime rates, as the presence of law-abiding citizens with guns. Where do these loons come from?
Pointing out that correlation does not equal cause is hysterics??? Explain, please.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Lol, LaPierre said this morning that part of the problem is video games and music videos. Don't they involve a RIGHT enshrined in the Constitution? Why, yes. Yes they do. Maybe all the fondlers need to get on the same page if they're going to run with the rights of the Constitution as their talking point. Because right now they are funking Bill of Rights 101.
I think you've skewed quite a few things in this post. The 2nd Amendment specifically guarantees the right own firearms. The 1st Amendment does not specifically guarantee the right video games or music. The judicial system is set up to adjudicate exactly what falls underneath the umbrella of "rights." While I doubt that severe restrictions on video games would pass Constutitional muster (if they are proposed at all), I do believe that your attempt to equate right to firearms to the right to own video games is quite a long stretch.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:

The time for gun rights has passed. I see hunting rifles only in the future with very limited capabilities.
I see a knee-jerk reactionary.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:

Do you truly see an amendment coming? The last amendment passed in 1992 - but it took over 100 years to gain approval. Before that it 1971 and was something so much easier to agree on - the voting age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies