Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yes you do, you know me.
You have a issue with getting a back ground check? Why? i would like it so my lic / permit works like it does in NY for just one part..... In NY once you have a permit you don't need to wait for Brady or have NICS run again.

You just shop and buy if you want and walk out with your new gun... The hassle ends once you have the lic / permit or what ever they call it. The part i won't do is the NY state registry by make and serial number.

So dm me if you prefer, but i would like to know the 'why'?

One time people in NICS MASS refused to bother with any check. I had to wait for NICS time to run out and then i got the gun anyway.

I knew about a waiver and filed one in NH. Now Nics goes fast... A few seconds time and NICS is done and I have what i bought. Right now fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
I don't have a concealed carry permit, although it would be pretty easy to obtain one in the "shall-issue" state where I reside. Open carry, on the other hand, doesn't require a permit here.

I've never felt the need to carry a gun, concealed or otherwise, day or night, whilst out and about in the town where I live (only about 85,000 in population), and I quite like it that way.

Nonetheless, concealed carry doesn't frighten me, and it shouldn't be difficult for a person who may be particularly vulnerable to violent crime in their community to acquire a means to protect themselves with force that may, frankly, be necessary in a given situation. There's absolutely nothing outlandish in believing that law enforcement won't always be immediately available to assist a potential victim. This isn't hard, folks.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
If you only had 12 hours of combined use of force, range and scenario training then you weren't a real cop....and no I don't need to hear your alleged credentials because I wont believe you.
Don't take my word for it, go look up the California POST training requirements. It may vary from state to state, but that was what the requirements were in the mid 90's and the one I attended was rated the best POST academy in the nation at the time due to its instructors, director, and its content.

If you think police officers have 100's of hours of training with their weapons before they hit the streets, then you a naive.

Here, let me help you out a bit:

http://www.lcle.la.gov/programs/post.asp

Quote:
Level 1 - Certification for Basic Law Enforcement Peace Officers
The student will complete a training course with a minimum of 360 hours for full certification. Level 1 certification requires that the student meet the POSTrequirements for firearm certification.

Basic Firearms Qualification:
  1. On a 25-yard range, equipped with POST approved P-1 targets, the student, given a pistol or revolver, holster and 240 rounds of ammunition, will fire the POST firearms qualification course at least four times. Scores must be averaged and the student must:
    1. Fire all courses in the required stage time;
    2. Use the correct body position for each course of fire;
    3. Fire the entire course using double action only, except in case of single action only semi-automatic pistols;
    4. Fire no more than the specified number of rounds per stage;
    5. Fire each course at a distance not appreciably lesser nor greater than that specified;
    6. Achieve an average score of not less than 96 out of a possible 120, which is 80% or above;
    7. Have all targets graded and final score computed by a POST-certified firearms instructor.
The fire arm training portion involves basically two trips to the range. The first day is a combination of instruction and practice. Which is broken up between stance shooting with your hand gun as well as some shot gun use as well. You will go through a few boxes of ammo during this. The second day is testing where you have to meet the above requirements.

the point is, if you think that a new police officer is some crack shot, then you are sadly mistaken. They are taught the above and they are required to pass the qualification and a use of force test. This is very similar to some CCW permits (minus all the technical shooting positions and qualifications, but that also depends on the instructor of the CCW).

So, like I said... if we go by your "belief" in their training, then no basic certified officers are qualified to carry a gun.

Notice the full certification (this includes all instruction to be a police officer) hours spent is 360. Only a small portion is spent in this area.

Last edited by Nomander; 12-21-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default How Could Anyone Be Against Concealed Weapons Permts?

They aren't mandatory. Anyone who doesn't want one will not be coerced into getting one.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You have a issue with getting a back ground check? Why? i would like it so my lic / permit works like it does in NY for just one part..... In NY once you have a permit you don't need to wait for Brady or have NICS run again.

You just shop and buy if you want and walk out with your new gun... The hassle ends once you have the lic / permit or what ever they call it. The part i won't do is the NY state registry by make and serial number.

So dm me if you prefer, but i would like to know the 'why'?

One time people in NICS MASS refused to bother with any check. I had to wait for NICS time to run out and then i got the gun anyway.

I knew about a waiver and filed one in NH. Now Nics goes fast... A few seconds time and NICS is done and I have what i bought. Right now fast.

I dont think anyone should have to go through any kind of background check. the criminals already do not follow the law. why should the already law abiding have to jump through hoops and rings in order to do someting the crooks already dont have to.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:34 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Chances are, criminals prefer concealed weapons.
Until they pull them out to intimidate their victim.

And I'm sure they all have permits.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I don't know any gun owner that would have any issue with that...
I disagree. Do you have to do background check to sell your car, which kills a lot more people then guns, to someone else? Maybe the prospective buyer has had their license revoked or suspender for vehicular manslaughter.

Maybe they have a drinking problem and have been DUI's. etc., etc.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Our court system disagrees with you, in fact, in Moore v Madigan, a federal court ruled (last week) that the Second Amendment protects (protects, not grants) the right of an individual to carry a loaded firearm in public.

Also, why would the founding fathers have been trying to trick us into thinking the second amendment was an individual right? The Second Amendment is in the Bill of Rights. If you argue that the second amendment does not protect individual rights, it's literally the only amendment in the Bill of Rights that doesn't guard individual liberty. That doesn't make sense.

Also, regarding the Second Amendment, you go ahead and try to change it. Any amendment of the Constitution requires 2/3 of both houses of congress and a 3/4 of the states to vote for it. That's not going to happen.
That's why the gun grabbers have NEVER tried.

They use the liberal legislators to pass useless laws.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,094 times
People who do not understand something will not see the use in it. Marijuana as some evil drug the same as many people did with alcohol in the 20s. You have the gun owners of which I am one on one side that many are hard headed and if you don't just love guns your an ass and not worthy to breath the air. Much like Col. Jessup on a few good men. Then you have people who have never held a gun, and only know them as a death ray that kill just by pointing one and make people go crazy and want to kill when held. Both are radical and will not even talk to each other about anything. Much like congress today.

I don't like the idea of a ban. I will say that even though its very convince to buy and sell in a state where I can meet someone in a parking lot and buy and sell a gun, its a huge loop hole for criminals or underage people to buy a gun. I think I can meet anti gun people on that point. I can be inconvenienced that much to help in the problem. Will it stop all criminal act? No but it could stop some.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
NO ONE has a GOD given right to carry lethal weapons. Not sure about why it is the law of the land..... that is a matter of how the 2nd amendment has been interpreted....... many here believe it was intended to make sure we have a armed militia and the commers were included after the fact to make the amendment seem like it meant that individuals have the right to bear arms. A amendment is exactly that and can be "Amended"..... NO Amendment is absolute and must take into account the times we live in and change to suit that time.
I have lived most of my life wthout any need to carry a weapon.... not sure why anyone needs to in a civilised society........ maybe in Iran, Iraq etc but not in a Country with a "rule of Law" as here.
You are not sure why anyone needs to carry in a civilized society. Try to hear the words spoken by this woman who really believes that if she had had her gun in her purse that fateful day her parents would have lived beyond that day along with many others.

Survivor of 1991 Shooting Gives Impassioned Testimony Against Gun Control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies