Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times

Advertisements

If we're going to look at studies and statistics... they should break it out by race to see where the real problem lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
guns never killed anybody. they are just a chunk of metal. i love the logic, i didnt shoot him that evil white man that made the bullet that came out of my gun, killed him.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:36 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If we're going to look at studies and statistics... they should break it out by race to see where the real problem lies.
This is for all homicide which would include by gun.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Trends by race

This isn't broken down by age, but I believe black children are also at much higher risk dying from homicide than white children.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:41 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,885,583 times
So are we to assume the casualties of war were killed by weapons other than guns?

Old 12-22-2012, 06:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
....and half the guns in the world are owned by Americans.

Every two weeks we bury a child from gun violence.

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence : Media
And what numbers far outweigh those? Why that would be the 100 million killed since the beginning of the 20th century in genocide after genocide. Time after time those people were systematically disarmed or faced opposition who were far better armed then the victims.

Since the beginning of the 20th century there's been no time including the present where genocide was not occurring on planet Earth.

In fact America is about the only nation that hasn't had its own genocidal history. The closest we got was slavery and once former slaves were armed and allowed by law to have those arms that problem ceased to exist.

People are inherently evil/bad/selfish and the only thing that keeps humans in check is a micro and macro MAD policy.

You want to come in my home and kill me and my family for whatever reason you deem viable. Fine, but you're going to face an equal and opposite reaction and quite frankly you might not achieve any of your goals and you'll also end up 6 ft under.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:15 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
guns never killed anybody. they are just a chunk of metal. i love the logic, i didnt shoot him that evil white man that made the bullet that came out of my gun, killed him.
I was just cleaning my knife & he ran around the corner, right into it. 17 times. Same logic........

Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Quote:

I don't care about the 16 years old drug gang banger who gets whacked.....but it's a shame for the people who get killed accidentally.

90% of these "children" are drug gang members.

Take the urban effect out of the equation and we have an extremely safe nation.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Quote:

worthless stats. Half of these are suicides, many, if not most of whom would just choose another method if guns were not available

We lost 447,000 in WWII alone. Frankly it seems a bit disrerespectful to lump in together someone who commits suicde, or for that matter a gang-banger fighting over drug turf, with someone who sacrificed his/her life so that you could have the freedom to post tripe on the internet.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:56 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
<snip>

Research has shown that "Guns kept in homes are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal accidental shooting, criminal assault, or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense."

<snip>

True, but think about it. It means that for all these gun owners who think they need their guns for self-defense, it's more likely that the guns in their home will be involved in an accidental shooting, criminal assault, or suicide attempt.
Firstly to have an accidental shooting one must first own a gun... If no one had a gun the number of accidental shootings would be zero. Secondly it's well established that legal gun ownership follows certain demographic patterns which may be less represented in crime statistics. Offender surveys have consistently proven that the vast majority of criminals who are committing crimes will avoid entering a home where they suspect a gun and it's owner to be present (i.e. the home owners fit the demographic pattern, crime is not random) thus there can be no use of that gun for self defense since the only time they may be victims of crime is when nobody is present.

So by those that do not own a gun cannot be involved with an accidental shooting. The don't have a gun to accidentally shoot. If they do not fit the demographic profile of a gun owner, they are not flagged as a risk to have a gun by a criminal. Therefore those people have no risk of being involved in an accidental shooting, but more likely to be present when a crime is committed, and obviously cannot use their gun for self defense since they do not own one.

The interesting area for more study would be those who legally own a gun who are demographically dissimilar. In those cases are there more crimes committed to these people when present and if so what are the defensive handgun use statistics? Also is their risk of accidental shooting higher than their risk of being the victim of a crime.

A similar area for study may be those who are demographically similar to gun owners who do not own guns, is their risk of crime higher that a gun owner who also fits the demographic group.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times
Quote:
Let's not do NOTHING by stymying any meaningful change by harping on arguments around apples and oranges. There are murders of all kind all over the world every day. If you want to work against abortion or unjust wars or child hunger/death due to big powerful ag with your legislators, that would be commendable. Gun control is a separate issue.
Let's not compare apples and oranges, says the person who opened the thread by comparing gun deaths to war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies