Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Reputation: 7608

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Maybe that's because criminals know the house has guns.
Firearms by law, must be locked up. Criminals that break into houses aren't usually armed, unless it's a drug house.

I think criminals don't usually have a gun, because they aren't expecting any one to be armed and ready to shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2013, 12:47 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Reputation: 6509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Firearms by law, must be locked up. Criminals that break into houses aren't usually armed, unless it's a drug house.

I think criminals don't usually have a gun, because they aren't expecting any one to be armed and ready to shoot.
Your wrong.

Firearms do not have to be locked up. The heller decision actually said it is unconstitutional to require someone to keep their guns locked up or disassembled in their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Reputation: 7608
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Your wrong.

Firearms do not have to be locked up. The heller decision actually said it is unconstitutional to require someone to keep their guns locked up or disassembled in their home.
I'm talking about New Zealand. I asked a question earlier in the thread - would everyone being armed in NZ, mean that NZ's murder rate would go down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 02:49 PM
 
510 posts, read 889,111 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Firearms by law, must be locked up. Criminals that break into houses aren't usually armed, unless it's a drug house.

I think criminals don't usually have a gun, because they aren't expecting any one to be armed and ready to shoot.
Maybe the case there, but where I'm at most of the criminals breaking in for home invasions are armed. There is however a number of them that use air guns, airsoft guns, replicas and toys in their pursuits; mostly because those are cheap and the real ones can be sold for a lot of money. The Mexican drug cartels buy guns off the druggy criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Reputation: 40736
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Take a moment to lookup sights such as gunssavelives.net or keepandbears.com
Read some of the storys about the average person using a gun to stop a crime. "It takes A good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun."
I liked the story of a man using his revolver to shoot back at a criminal on a shooting spree; saving a cops life. oh yeah the cop was pinned down while holding his ar-15.
Some years ago I was able to stop a killing. A man stabbing of a woman, the guy had a knife, I had a gun. you know the old saying dont we.


Guns don't save lives, people save lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 03:42 PM
 
10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Reputation: 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
1.5 million people are saved by guns every year according to the justice department under Clinton. Your 1,499,840 on people saved every year.

Guns Save Lives - Wayne Allyn Root - [page]

Sorry I couldn't view that very well. The big ad for the new book by Glenn Beck kept blocking the screen. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 03:43 PM
 
10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Reputation: 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
Maybe the case there, but where I'm at most of the criminals breaking in for home invasions are armed. There is however a number of them that use air guns, airsoft guns, replicas and toys in their pursuits; mostly because those are cheap and the real ones can be sold for a lot of money. The Mexican drug cartels buy guns off the druggy criminals.
Home invasions are a very uncommon occurrence unless you're in the drug trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 03:50 PM
 
10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Reputation: 4784
The Violence Prevention Center reported that in that in 2010 “there were only 230 justifiable homicides involving a private citizen using a firearm” reported to the F.B.I.’s Uniform Crime Reports.

Compare that with the number of criminal gun homicides in the same year: 8,275. (That’s not counting gun suicides or unintentional shootings.)

Or compare it with the number of Americans killed by guns since Newtown: 3,531."

The NRA says that guns are used a million times a year for self-defense, but they do not say how they obtain that number other than conjecture. And I would suspect that many of those incidents of "self-defense" are the variety where a homeowner hears a weird noise in the middle of the night, creeps around the house with their rifle, and thinks, "good, I scared the intruders away."


Gun Self-Defense Statistics - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 PM
 
26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Reputation: 8094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The Violence Prevention Center reported that in that in 2010 “there were only 230 justifiable homicides involving a private citizen using a firearm” reported to the F.B.I.’s Uniform Crime Reports.

Compare that with the number of criminal gun homicides in the same year: 8,275. (That’s not counting gun suicides or unintentional shootings.)

Or compare it with the number of Americans killed by guns since Newtown: 3,531."

The NRA says that guns are used a million times a year for self-defense, but they do not say how they obtain that number other than conjecture. And I would suspect that many of those incidents of "self-defense" are the variety where a homeowner hears a weird noise in the middle of the night, creeps around the house with their rifle, and thinks, "good, I scared the intruders away."


Gun Self-Defense Statistics - NYTimes.com
Actually Brady Co. said that not NRA. NRA's number is over 2 million.

Even we take the lowest number from the hardcore antigun people, it still saves a magnitude amount of people than it murders.

Not sure what your point is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 04:31 PM
 
10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Reputation: 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Actually Brady Co. said that not NRA. NRA's number is over 2 million.

Even we take the lowest number from the hardcore antigun people, it still saves a magnitude amount of people than it murders.

Not sure what your point is.
No, I was referring to the NRA, not the Brady campaign. I know they say 2 million, but that is clearly ludicrous, so I said "over a million."

There is no recent high-quality data on how often guns are legitimately used for self-defense. And researchers have noted that even when surveys are done, on further analysis it shows that most of the occasions reported as self-defense are escalating arguments in which someone finally pulls a gun.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/g...3#.UXMX8qJyGHg

Last edited by ellemint; 04-20-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top