Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM

922 posts, read 1,907,420 times

Advertisements

As children I was taught to defend myself. Telling a teacher about a bully was not going to help. I was taught to never start it; but I would end it swiftly. I had a guy stab a woman, was going to do it again, I STOPPED the guy, then called 911
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 PM

24,426 posts, read 17,170,302 times
It is amazing how cut and dry the gun topic is, you have the anti gunners on one side an the pro 2nd amendment on the other. History has shown us that stuff happens and the guy with the gun is usually left standing be it some loser kicking in the door intent on harming his ex gun wielding wife or some government locking down on its own people.
Should everyone have a gun NO but those who are a good and lawful citizens YES
This country was built with determination in heart and a gun in hand and I feel that it is my duty as a American to own a gun and know how to shoot it straight.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM

283 posts, read 507,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Take a moment to lookup sights such as gunssavelives.net or keepandbears.com
Read some of the storys about the average person using a gun to stop a crime. "It takes A good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun."
I liked the story of a man using his revolver to shoot back at a criminal on a shooting spree; saving a cops life. oh yeah the cop was pinned down while holding his ar-15.
Some years ago I was able to stop a killing. A man stabbing of a woman, the guy had a knife, I had a gun. you know the old saying dont we.

Your examples are lame.

First of all: anything from a "pro gun" website is going to be very biased and hardly fair and objective. Gee? Do ya think a site named "gunssaveslives.net would maybe, just possibly be a wee bit slanted toward anti-gun control?

Also: for every example of a "good guy" regular citizen who saved a life because he had a carry permit and shot the bod guy, there are thousands of people killed every year by bad guys who all-too-easily got hold of a firearm.
Your examples are as lame as the old story that people who smoke and eat like crap love to tell. It usually goes something like, "Yeah, my ol' grandaddy smoked a pack of cigarettes, drank a pint of whiskey, and ate bacon and eggs every day and he lived to be 97!"
What they fail to mention is that thousand of people who do those things DIE every year!

You examples were the same deal: you are taking a rare exception to the rule and trying to make it sound like it's the norm.

Wake-up: every country that has firearm laws stricter than ours also has lower homicide rates. ANd that's per capita too, not just total deaths per year, so don't try the old: "Yeah but the U.S. is much bigger......"

Blah blah blah. YOu freakin' gun nuts need to get your head out of the sand: We need stricter gun control laws. There's no reason on God's Green Earth that someone like you or I should be able to buy an assault rifle.
Ask any cop--our keepers of law and order--how they feel about our gun control laws.

The second amendment? Please. If the founding fathers were magically brought to life and transported to today's country and saw our crime rates they would undeniably, without a doubt in my mind, tell you that they were talking about guns for citizens in a VERY, VERY DIFFERENT TIME. When a militia was needed to ensure the peace. There is no need for that now!!!

Peace.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
Your examples are lame.

First of all: anything from a "pro gun" website is going to be very biased and hardly fair and objective. Gee? Do ya think a site named "gunssaveslives.net would maybe, just possibly be a wee bit slanted toward anti-gun control?

No more slanted than then watching Chris Mathews, or Diane Sawyer or the like. Just the other side of the coin.

Also: for every example of a "good guy" regular citizen who saved a life because he had a carry permit and shot the bod guy, there are thousands of people killed every year by bad guys who all-too-easily got hold of a firearm.

So is that why Great Britain is considering outlawing kitchen knives now? They have already banned British citizens ownership of fire arms. Kitchens knives are the next step I guess. Then what, base ball bats? Tire irons?

Your examples are as lame as the old story that people who smoke and eat like crap love to tell. It usually goes something like, "Yeah, my ol' grandaddy smoked a pack of cigarettes, drank a pint of whiskey, and ate bacon and eggs every day and he lived to be 97!"
What they fail to mention is that thousand of people who do those things DIE every year!

Yes thousands of people die every year, and thousands don't. It is a dangerous world we live in. Slips trips and falls are the biggest accident causing injuries in the home. I supposed to you would like to regulate and legislate that too.

You examples were the same deal: you are taking a rare exception to the rule and trying to make it sound like it's the norm.

Wake-up: every country that has firearm laws stricter than ours also has lower homicide rates. ANd that's per capita too, not just total deaths per year, so don't try the old: "Yeah but the U.S. is much bigger......"

This statement is just not true. Where do you get your facts from. Back this up please.

Blah blah blah. YOu freakin' gun nuts need to get your head out of the sand: We need stricter gun control laws. There's no reason on God's Green Earth that someone like you or I should be able to buy an assault rifle.
Ask any cop--our keepers of law and order--how they feel about our gun control laws.

And what do you expect more anti gun laws to do? Tell me? Are criminals going to stop being criminals because it is illegal? Are murderers going to stop murdering because it is illegal? Chicago has one of the strictest anti gun laws in the country. They topped 500 homicide deaths in 2012. Mostly gun related, with guns that are illegal to own. Explain to me how well the anti gun laws are working out for them please?

The second amendment? Please. If the founding fathers were magically brought to life and transported to today's country and saw our crime rates they would undeniably, without a doubt in my mind, tell you that they were talking about guns for citizens in a VERY, VERY DIFFERENT TIME. When a militia was needed to ensure the peace. There is no need for that now!!!

There were no handouts back then either. The government back then didn't control the people like they do today providing food, clothing, shelter and medicine. Today if you don't want to work, no problem, don't have food to feed yourself no problem, the government will take care of you. People then were truly free, not like today. Our fore fathers are turning in there graves with what we have done to the country they gave us. The high taxes we pay today compared to then, the rampant waste of our money by our elected officials. Corruption at every level, professional politicians who become fat cats with the pork barrel spending of our money, $16 trillion in debt? Please! We have ruined what they gave us. If they were magically brought to this time I think they would be talking about a revolt against the government. Which is the entire reason why the second amendment to the constitution was created. A fore thought then for a need today.

Peace.
Wake up America. Do we really want to go where we are being led?

Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,252,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
Your examples are lame.

Peace.
1. Please provide sources or proof that thousands of people die for every time a gun is used legally.
[SIZE=3]* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]* Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders.[13] [14] [15] Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.[16][/SIZE]
2. Many countries do have a lower violent crime rate and many countries have a higher one, but that has always been the case - even with comparable gun laws the USA was more violent. Can you demonstrate that comparable countries have shown decreases in violent crime when they have implemented gun control?

3. Will you please provide examples of where and when gun control has worked? What happened to D.C. when they implemented their gun ban?

4. Guess what? You and I can't buy an "assault" rifle. Fully automatic and selective fire "machine" guns are restricted to the government, licensed dealers, and the cartels.
5. WA police forces led the charge against gun control some time back.
6.6. Looks like the homicide rate was much, much higher back then

PGO = Private Gun Ownership

Maybe if the USA gave equal opportunity to blacks and whites from the start we would have lower crime, but that isn't how things turned out.

Gun Control - Just Facts
Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Long term trends and patterns

[SIZE=2][SIZE=3][SIZE=4][SIZE=3]"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and Punishment (1764).

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

"The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." (Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8)

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of The United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..." (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, at 86-87 (Peirce & Hale, eds., Boston, 1850))

Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,343,341 times
if guns were evil we would never give them to police and soldiers.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 PM

593 posts, read 1,410,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg View Post
Wake up America. Do we really want to go where we are being led?
I sure don't!

One side says the other side is "sheeple", what we don't realize is that we are all being led somewhere we might not want to go with a carrot dangling in front of us on a stick. We all have a right to say what we want, but one side is heavily armed and has been making veiled threats lately. You are holding the rest of America hostage. I don't think the founding fathers would have wanted that, do you?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,726,234 times
[SIZE=3]We law abiding sane peaceful gun owners are not holding anyone hostage and we have no desire to do so. We only want to be able to be adequately armed in order to protect ourselves, our families and anyone else being violently assaulted.[/SIZE]

Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM

24,426 posts, read 17,170,302 times
Since I posted a few have chimed in to prove my point that this gun issue is a debate about extremes. Lickety Split for example wants em all gone and lycos679 gave us some nice graphics that are pro gun.
I keep reading "the founding fathers never meant for the 2nd amendment to (fill in the blank)" from anti gunners and it got me thinking about then and now. This is still a very touchy subject in America and I don't know why since it was ended over 150 years ago but slavery was a practise in the 1700's and some of the founding fathers had slaves. Look to today and most of the homicides in the US according to one of the charts lycos679 posted happen to black men. It is true black people are a minority and I think they are their own worse enemy. Their culture has breed or some may argue the white mans culture has trapped them but I say if they chose to, think Obama, a black guy can certainly apply himself. The trouble is the black culture of ghetto rap music, the clothes, the attitude, the gun toting, drug pushing, baby making jerk offs that shoot each other with guns they stole or bought illegally. The movies, the music and current pop culture has perpetuated this attitude into mainstream America.
The people of the inner cities both black and white need more education and that will lead to oppurtunity for them and keep them off the paths of destruction and prison. Calling all black and whites that fall into it, STOP living up to the stereotype!
I'm sure if the founding fathers came back today they would be shocked at not only the gun violence but the lack of human respect for one another.
The media needs to get on board and stop sensationalising the crimes of gun violence and start representing civility which is won and assured by the gun.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,128,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'm sure if the founding fathers came back today they would be shocked at not only the gun violence but the lack of human respect for one another.
Well since you are sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies