Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:41 PM

919 posts, read 1,899,475 times

Advertisements

Take a moment to lookup sights such as gunssavelives.net or keepandbears.com
Read some of the storys about the average person using a gun to stop a crime. "It takes A good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun."
I liked the story of a man using his revolver to shoot back at a criminal on a shooting spree; saving a cops life. oh yeah the cop was pinned down while holding his ar-15.
Some years ago I was able to stop a killing. A man stabbing of a woman, the guy had a knife, I had a gun. you know the old saying dont we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 PM

919 posts, read 1,899,475 times
My point to this thread was not if we can take on the army. It is a fact that there are plenty of stories of private citizens using guns to defend against bad guys, not bad goverment. Like that gal last year that had 2 guys breaking in to her trailer. there was a baby to care for. As they pushed past the door, barricaded by the couch she shot one with a shotgun. good guy with gun over bad guy. Anybody ever had to defend yourself or others with a gun?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM

254 posts, read 433,481 times
Mark6052, I get a smile on my face every time I read the Armed Citizen in my NRA mag. Stories from around the US giving a blurb on someone who is a victim of a crime. The victim of the crime thankfully has a firearm that they use to defend themselves and their family. Sometimes the bad guy(s) are fatally injured. How did acting like a scumbag work out for you after you broke into that house.....

Old 12-22-2012, 12:57 PM

14,286 posts, read 14,054,558 times
You know, this whole argument that we need guns to protect us from our own government is an interesting insight into many people. If you don't know much about psychology than I'd encourage you to look up the meaning of "paranoid" and "paranoia". A few questions for people who believe this is a legitimate reason to have guns:

1. When was the last time our government was a dictatorship?
2. Who is the last President that tried to confiscate your gun or guns?
3. Who elects the people who run our government?
4. Who has the power to vote against and defeat any legislator, congressman, governor, or president in our country?
5. The Supreme Court of what country has upheld a personal right to bear arms?

I actually own a couple of rifles. My purpose for owning them is that target shooting is a hobby of mine. I can also see someone in some areas of the country wanting to own a gun as protection against prowlers or intruders. The person I'm most sympathetic with in this respect would be the owner of a convenience or service station which is not infrequently robbed.

The idea that you need guns to protect yourself from our government here in the United States is so embarrassingly paranoid that its not worthy of discussion by intelligent rational people.

Sorry, if any of you draw conclusions about yourselves based on this. There's a saying in life that "if the shoe fits than....."

Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,610,661 times
OK Let me get this out first: I'm a gun owner, a hunter, an avid outdoorsman and I'm an NRA Member.
Alot of the arguments I've been hearing from pro gun people are just plain stupid.
The whole if he didin't have a gun he would have used something else is a lousy argument. A weekling with a knife or hammer or bat is still a coward and a weekling, yes he might get a few but others could run, you can't run faster than bullets...

Old 12-22-2012, 02:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,922,297 times
I will tell you all something my dad and gd would tell us if someone breaks into your house , there are two things you will do , you will call someone who has a gun and then you will call the police . So yes i have a gun in my house and i also will always live with a dog . I have been a victime of violent crime and i will not let anyone have my gun unless they pry it from my cold dead hand . People kill people . Guns dont grow arms and legs and kill people .

Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM

23,314 posts, read 23,678,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You know, this whole argument that we need guns to protect us from our own government is an interesting insight into many people. If you don't know much about psychology than I'd encourage you to look up the meaning of "paranoid" and "paranoia". A few questions for people who believe this is a legitimate reason to have guns:

4. Who has the power to vote against and defeat any legislator, congressman, governor, or president in our country?

I actually own a couple of rifles. My purpose for owning them is that target shooting is a hobby of mine. I can also see someone in some areas of the country wanting to own a gun as protection against prowlers or intruders. The person I'm most sympathetic with in this respect would be the owner of a convenience or service station which is not infrequently robbed.

The idea that you need guns to protect yourself from our government here in the United States is so embarrassingly paranoid that its not worthy of discussion by intelligent rational people.

Sorry, if any of you draw conclusions about yourselves based on this. There's a saying in life that "if the shoe fits than....."
If you're done using your crystal ball, I'd like to borrow it to find out the winning keno numbers at Caesars Palace for the next 10,000 games.

I suggest you review history a bit more. Not only this country's, but also that of other countries. Nobody can predict the future.

World War I was nicknamed "the war to end all wars." After it ended, people thought it unthinkable that such a large scale conflict could ever possibly erupt again. But less than two decades later, we were all at it again.

You can't predict the future any better than Miss Cleo, and your failure to acknowledge or accept that governments have a habit of turning on their people, coupled with your insistence that our founders didn't know what they were doing is an utter embarrassment.

Which other rights protected by the Bill of Rights is outdated? What else would you like to see repealed? The 4th? How about the 1st? Should we require you to get a speaking license before purchasing an Internet account? After all, Charles Manson used only his words, so it's perfectly obvious that having the freedom to say what you like can lead to the death of many innocent people, right? And he didn't even have the Internet to use back then. Certainly, the problem is many hundreds of times worse now. BAN FREE SPEECH!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:46 PM

3,523 posts, read 2,812,554 times
Quote:

1. just prior to 1776

2. Clinton with the Assault weapons ban

3. The Main stream media, Big unions, multi-national companies ( 90% of the media in America is owned by only 6 giant companies) yea we may mark the ballot but there feeding us the disimformation.

4. The American people ( assuming they know the truth see above)

5. Ours, But the Scotus can and has considered reviewing past decisions

Did it ever occur to you that Our (America's) strong belief in the 2nd amendment and our possesion of weapons has been the greatest deterent of a president or legislator or military leader from ever attemping to become a dictator?
If you so trust your government to always be free and democratic then you should have no problem doing away with the 1st amendment, what could possible go wrong with that, right.
call me paranoid if you want (that is your right) but I'll just hold on to my guns.

bill

Old 12-22-2012, 03:52 PM

76 posts, read 136,820 times
Quote:
Let's not forget the Japanese-American Internment of 1942. Guns probably wouldn't have helped, but the US government certainly felt those people were better off in prison camps. Which goes to show, and as George Carlin was fond of saying, 'rights aren't rights if someone can take them away. They're privileges. That's all we've ever had in this country, is a bill of temporary privileges. And if you read the news even badly, you know that every year the list gets shorter and shorter. ... The government doesn't care about you, or your children, or your rights, or your welfare or your safety. ... It's interested in its own power. That's the only thing. Keeping it and expanding it wherever possible.'

...hence the need for privately-owned arms and armaments in the hands of We, the People.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:15 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,582,841 times
Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that Our (America's) strong belief in the 2nd amendment and our possesion of weapons has been the greatest deterent of a president or legislator or military leader from ever attemping to become a dictator?
No; if anything, it probably makes that task easier. The president just has to swing a large group of people to his side and have them act as his own personal militia. Sort of like what Saddam did in Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies