Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times

Advertisements

Here's my take on this mess we've gotten ourselves into.
GUNS: We don't need access to assault rifles. An assault rifle is NOT a semi auto 22 that's used for plinking, It's not a bolt action 30/06 deer rifle, and its not just any "black scary looking gun", nor is it a semi auto shotgun used for hunting. I see no problem with a waiting period for a rifle, such as used to buy handguns. And I have no problem with requiring background checks at gun shows for any sales. That wouldn't have helped this last case but might stop another.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS: This is one of those things I feel will aid in our downfall. There are people who are mentally unstable and not only should not be allowed to buy a gun---they should be institutionalized. The public isn't safe with some of these wackos roaming the streets. They should be called what they are and put away. Obviously I'm not politically correct and refuse to be.

RELGION: Put god back in the schools and public places. So what if your an atheist. Then ignore him. See, to turn the tables, your actions offend me and I want god back in this country and I really don't care whose god he is. nowadays it seems its wrong to believe so we have a generation that has no need to answer to "him". You see, perhaps in the past some wacko might stop short from killing a bunch of people because even though in the short term (this life) it's against the law but in the long term (eternity) he may believe he'll have to answer for his sins. The tipping point could be that. Now, it seems, it is common for people to believe that once your dead---your dead. Just pure nothingness, so there is no care as to how many people some wack job takes out.

VIDEO GAMES/TV: Come on. The violence and graffics have become very real and kids are exposed to these 24/7. I grew up in the 70's and I saw my share of killing on TV but it was typically the bad guys, war movies which depicted historical battles, science fiction with non-existing aliens, monsters, and cowboys and Indians in the old west. These movies were also only on at night and weekends during certain hours. Nowadays its 24/7 violence. If you don't want to watch a slash em up/shoot em up movie that just shows regular people killing regular people you can play these video games in which you kill ordinary people over and over again while trying to beat your previous score. I think these images are so ingrained in the heads of some that they can't differentiate between fiction and reality. On the games the ones they shot are back to kill again. All one has to do is hit restart. It doesn't happen that way in real life and I wonder how many of these sickos go into these shooting sprees thinking its a game but after seeing the blood and realizing that the ones they kill won't get up they decide to off themselves.

THE MEDEA, INTERNET, AND 24/7 "NEWS": In the past we had newspapers and the 10:00 news. Local news was reported. How many of us didn't even go beyond the front page? If someone killed 3 people in California we would not find out about it here in MD. There would be bigger issues to report in the small amount of space/time available for national events. Now you have multi cable news channels and the internet. We hear of every shooting as it happens and feel the world is going to end. Then the reporters sensationalize every tragedy and plaster the killers face and name all over, making him a celebrity. It's sick! That just makes another wacko with nothing want to one up the last wacko to gain fame.

ENFORCEMENT: Lock the bastards up and only brake out the key when they're on the way to the gallows. Then let them hang in public so others might think twice. No more slap on the wrists. If you kill somebody on purpose you should pay the price.

MEDICATION: For Christ's sake stop putting everybody on medication and claiming they have some kind of disorder. Just because some kid doesn't pay attention in class doesn't mean he need pills for the rest of his life. Perhaps the teacher is just BORING. Perhaps they couldn't sleep the night before because - get this- HE WASN"T TIRED!!!!! Stop drugging our kids.

FEAR: Stop spreading fear like everyone is bad. Go outside and play. Let your kids use their imagination. Talk to people. Turn off the stupid TV that along with violence shows all these doomsday programs in which the world is going to end with the next storm.

I better go now because I am the most optimistic person in the world but as I type I see we need help. But it can be done. Let's return family values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Here's my take on this mess we've gotten ourselves into.
GUNS: We don't need access to assault rifles. An assault rifle is NOT a semi auto 22 that's used for plinking, It's not a bolt action 30/06 deer rifle, and its not just any "black scary looking gun", nor is it a semi auto shotgun used for hunting. I see no problem with a waiting period for a rifle, such as used to buy handguns. And I have no problem with requiring background checks at gun shows for any sales. That wouldn't have helped this last case but might stop another.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS: This is one of those things I feel will aid in our downfall. There are people who are mentally unstable and not only should not be allowed to buy a gun---they should be institutionalized. The public isn't safe with some of these wackos roaming the streets. They should be called what they are and put away. Obviously I'm not politically correct and refuse to be.

RELGION: Put god back in the schools and public places. So what if your an atheist. Then ignore him. See, to turn the tables, your actions offend me and I want god back in this country and I really don't care whose god he is. nowadays it seems its wrong to believe so we have a generation that has no need to answer to "him". You see, perhaps in the past some wacko might stop short from killing a bunch of people because even though in the short term (this life) it's against the law but in the long term (eternity) he may believe he'll have to answer for his sins. The tipping point could be that. Now, it seems, it is common for people to believe that once your dead---your dead. Just pure nothingness, so there is no care as to how many people some wack job takes out.

VIDEO GAMES/TV: Come on. The violence and graffics have become very real and kids are exposed to these 24/7. I grew up in the 70's and I saw my share of killing on TV but it was typically the bad guys, war movies which depicted historical battles, science fiction with non-existing aliens, monsters, and cowboys and Indians in the old west. These movies were also only on at night and weekends during certain hours. Nowadays its 24/7 violence. If you don't want to watch a slash em up/shoot em up movie that just shows regular people killing regular people you can play these video games in which you kill ordinary people over and over again while trying to beat your previous score. I think these images are so ingrained in the heads of some that they can't differentiate between fiction and reality. On the games the ones they shot are back to kill again. All one has to do is hit restart. It doesn't happen that way in real life and I wonder how many of these sickos go into these shooting sprees thinking its a game but after seeing the blood and realizing that the ones they kill won't get up they decide to off themselves.

THE MEDEA, INTERNET, AND 24/7 "NEWS": In the past we had newspapers and the 10:00 news. Local news was reported. How many of us didn't even go beyond the front page? If someone killed 3 people in California we would not find out about it here in MD. There would be bigger issues to report in the small amount of space/time available for national events. Now you have multi cable news channels and the internet. We hear of every shooting as it happens and feel the world is going to end. Then the reporters sensationalize every tragedy and plaster the killers face and name all over, making him a celebrity. It's sick! That just makes another wacko with nothing want to one up the last wacko to gain fame.

ENFORCEMENT: Lock the bastards up and only brake out the key when they're on the way to the gallows. Then let them hang in public so others might think twice. No more slap on the wrists. If you kill somebody on purpose you should pay the price.

MEDICATION: For Christ's sake stop putting everybody on medication and claiming they have some kind of disorder. Just because some kid doesn't pay attention in class doesn't mean he need pills for the rest of his life. Perhaps the teacher is just BORING. Perhaps they couldn't sleep the night before because - get this- HE WASN"T TIRED!!!!! Stop drugging our kids.

FEAR: Stop spreading fear like everyone is bad. Go outside and play. Let your kids use their imagination. Talk to people. Turn off the stupid TV that along with violence shows all these doomsday programs in which the world is going to end with the next storm.

I better go now because I am the most optimistic person in the world but as I type I see we need help. But it can be done. Let's return family values.
Is this a joke thread? Your post sounds like something from the Onion, or the Tea Party

Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Is that a joke reply? I am serious. Those are my thoughts. You don't have to agree!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 PM

490 posts, read 650,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Is this a joke thread? Your post sounds like something from the Onion, or the Tea Party
Why does it have to be a joke thread? He makes some good points and some questionable ones. It's called a conversation. Give him a break.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
Why does it have to be a joke thread? He makes some good points and some questionable ones. It's called a conversation. Give him a break.
He claims that religion needs to be put back in schools yet supports public hangings and locking up the mentally ill. Then he goes on to say that video games promote violence. I mean WTF

What religion is he talking about, Satanism?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
He claims that religion needs to be put back in schools yet supports public hangings and locking up the mentally ill. Then he goes on to say that video games promote violence. I mean WTF

What religion is he talking about, Satanism?
Then debate the merits of the argument but flippant answers is not debate.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Then debate the merits of the argument but flippant answers is not debate.
His take is full of contradictions, I honestly wouldn't know where to start.

Our culture is violent, so lets bring back public hangings. I mean, how do you debate with that, seriously??

Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
hey, your kind and loving god let a bunch of kids die because some people in this country don't 'believe'

In fact, as an atheist, I find this part of your post pretty stupid. I'd never in a million years think of doing something like what Adam Lanza or Dylan Klebold + Eric Harris or Cho Seung-Hui did. This is despite not believing in afterlife consequences.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
hey, your kind and loving god let a bunch of kids die because some people in this country don't 'believe'

In fact, as an atheist, I find this part of your post pretty stupid. I'd never in a million years think of doing something like what Adam Lanza or Dylan Klebold + Eric Harris or Cho Seung-Hui did. This is despite not believing in afterlife consequences.
I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic, and I find it interesting that me as an agnostic has no desire for public hanging, yet some religious Christians are advocating such nonsense.

Bible in one hand, noose and gun in another, is that the way it works out?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:52 PM

As I said. I'm not politically correct. That is my take. I think we all have our ideas as to how to fix things. Perhaps some we'll agree on and some we won't. try to look for common ground and go from there. BTW, there we go again with bringing up these sickos names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies