Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,912,503 times

Advertisements

So it appears we will go over this cliff technically, as in no deal will be reached before January 1st. Right now, Obama has the best position IMO. What he can do, once tax rates officially change, is bring Republicans to the table and keep the Bush tax rates permanent for the "98%." Republicans would be foolish not to take him up on the offer. Furthermore, Obama can do what George W didn't and make these tax brackets for the 98% permanent: victory for Obama.

BUT, this is where Obama can do wrong: if he uses his obviously higher leverage to push for more spending as well. If I were Obama, I would allow the budget cuts to go through, lest we forget that the majority of Americans ALSO want to see meaningful cuts in Federal spending in addition to tax increases on the rich.

Obama "controls his own destiny" so to speak in regard to political positioning. If he raises taxes on the 2% and allows the budget cuts through, he wins this going away, makes the Republicans look stupid in the process and doing what the majority of Americans want, but if he uses this as an oppurtunity to extract spending concessions, then I wouldnt' be so sure as to mark a (D) victory in 2014: at that point, we'll be around 18 trillion in debt.

Either way, ball is in his court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,999,629 times
The House definitely handed control fully to Obama. JB is in a bad spot, as would be anyone running an insane asylum, but he did err saying it is now up to Obama and Reid. When the leader of any chamber says that, it is equal to an NFL coach saying "Nothing I can do about the outcome".

Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,912,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The House definitely handed control fully to Obama. JB is in a bad spot, as would be anyone running an insane asylum, but he did err saying it is now up to Obama and Reid. When the leader of any chamber says that, it is equal to an NFL coach saying "Nothing I can do about the outcome".
Well like I said, most Americans want something around a 2-3:1 spending cut/tax increase. Obama and the Dems can still mess up for themselves if they dont' act in some regard to spending. They have won the tax fight clearly, but they can certainly screw up any victory margins they win over the GOP with regard to taxes if they don't act on spending.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,999,957 times
Yea. Obama's going to "win". Americans are going to see their SS benefits cut by 7%. That's a "win".

It's freaking insane that the "liberal" position is getting your benefits cut by 7% so that the ultra wealthy in this country don't have to sacrifice as much.

And middle class Americans actually vote for the GOP that is pushing these cuts on them?

Craziest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,697,281 times
I'm having a hard time deciding if Boehner pulled this off on purpose. I think he did. I think it was planned.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,999,629 times
One or two reduced January paychecks will = thousands of phone calls to Congressmen = 535 coming back to vote for the first offer from the WH with their tail between their legs.

I do not blame JB; it was up to Cantor to get a reasonable quantity of TP votes, so adding those to JB's Establisment GOP votes, plus a tiny qty of fiscally conserv Dems would get to 218.

The look of glee on Cantor's face bespoke a traitor to his party interested in self-promotion amongst his wing nut base. But he is stupid, since that base was smashed in the 2012 election despite 7.9% unemployment, 14.7% U6. That base needs the independent vote, and a Grand Bargain II b/w JB and the WH, with both moving some from their last offer, was the GOP path out of the wilderness.

Last edited by bobtn; 12-21-2012 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 09:10 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,162,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yea. Obama's going to "win". Americans are going to see their SS benefits cut by 7%. That's a "win".

It's freaking insane that the "liberal" position is getting your benefits cut by 7% so that the ultra wealthy in this country don't have to sacrifice as much.

And middle class Americans actually vote for the GOP that is pushing these cuts on them?

Craziest thing I've ever seen in my life.
Pelosi and Hoyer keeping an open mind to cuts to entitlement programs - The Hill

Nancy Pelosi won't even definitively defend Social Security.

Elections have consequences. You voted for this President, and i'm sure you support Nancy Pelosi. So.....now what? Buyers remorse?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,999,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Pelosi and Hoyer keeping an open mind to cuts to entitlement programs - The Hill

Nancy Pelosi won't even definitively defend Social Security.

Elections have consequences. You voted for this President, and i'm sure you support Nancy Pelosi. So.....now what? Buyers remorse?
Stupid as ever, you think I voted for Obama. Try using the search feature here before you open your mouth.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Obama can't control his wild spending. The national debt is just going to keep rapidly rising under Obama.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,043,490 times
It would be nice if the country could win for once. Is that too much to ask of our so called leaders? Apparently so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies