Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 04:10 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You should have ended your post with the words: "I really don't know anything about guns, except that they go bang". A 12 gauge shotgun with a 3/4 choke? There is no such thing. There are shoguns that have chokes, there are shoguns that shoot a 2-3/4" shell, but no such thing as what you mentioned. To kill a deer with a 44-40 rifle, while that is certainly possible, you need to be very very close. The only time they work well at over 75 yards is in the movies. The length of a rifle barrel has nothing to do with accuracy once a scope sight is installed. Some knowledge about firearms is always useful if you are trying to impress anyone.
HowToBreakClays.com Guns

Choke

Quote:
Unless your gun is a dedicated skeet shooter's tool, you will probably find that the barrel(s) of your gun are choked, which means that the barrel's inside diameter is smaller at the muzzle end. The idea of this is to constrict the shot string as it leaves the barrel to produce a tighter shot pattern at a greater distance, for instance a 30inch pattern can be brought down to a 12inch circle. A fixed choke gun has the inside of its barrel bored out with a long funnel shape towards the muzzle when it is made, a multi choke gun has several shorter funnel shaped tubes which can be screwed into the muzzle end of the barrel to provide any constriction the shooter thinks necessary.
Choke of any shotgun is calculated by measuring the nominal bore of the barrel, (12g is 0.729 of an inch), then adding a constriction of up to 40 thousandths of an inch, therefore cylinder is the same as the bore, 1/4 choke is the nominal bore less 10thou, 1/2 choke is the nominal bore less 20thou, 3/4 choke is the nominal bore less 30thou and full choke is the nominal bore less 40thou. There are other systems which include extra full chokes and intermediate chokes, star markings, notch marks and different names, to find out exactly what you have on your gun, go to your friendly, neighbourhood gunsmith or have a look below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 04:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Gun nuts use the same fallacies as christians do to defend their faith/possessions.

A real question is "What are you scared of?"

The answer is simple, they are scared of black people. So far everyone I have spoken with that are defending their rights to grizzly arms, are all white folk.
Yes sir, right on! I mean, here we have another gun owning white guy afraid of black folks:

And of course this white Christian gun nut here as well:

Quote:
I live in SA rated in the top 10 for violent crime and I feel safer here with less gunz in circulation than I would in the US. So far no one has provided any stats as to how private ownership has reduced or prevented crime which normally is perpetuated with stolen legal arms or illegal arms.
You can "feel" whatever you want, but facts are facts:

Quote:
Add to that the mentality of a perp trouncing a gun, he usually has nothing to lose, even his own life and the idea that you could draw a concealed weapon and defend yourself is ludicrous.

Usually a criminal with a gun wants to take your money or you life and does not have a death wish. Only in rare occasions do we have mad shooters who want to die.

Quote:
Do what the chicken littles do here in SA, erect 10' walls with razor wire and electric fencing, floodlights and security gates and Spanish styled burglar proofing. Odd thing is here the folk are usually accosted at their driveway while waiting for the auto gates to open.

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.

No, I would just walk around with my little glock 27 at my side, with no fear at all.

And speaking of fear, during the civil rights movement the KKK, many of whom were police themselves, tried to use fear and intimidation against blacks. Many blacks armed themselves and neutralized the threat of Klan violence, like the Deacons for Defense and Justice:

Deacons for Defense and Justice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I guess they too were "racist white gun nuts" who should be disarmed by white liberals?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:12 PM

164 posts, read 260,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Is there any fundamental reason why one would need this for defense over a 9mm handgun? Will this person be any less safe with a hand gun over this? Clearly the person is either showing off, or has other intentions aside from home defense.
Americans do not need fundamental reasons to exercise their rights and guns are not only for defense in the home.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It seems your premise here is that "anti-gunners" are just ignorant about firearms and purely driven by emotion. You seem to expect them to condemn any "scary" looking gun, even if it is not really scary.

You are wrong.

Look at what gun control advocates actually say, instead of what the NRA says they say. We don't object to certain guns based on what they look like. We object to certain guns based on what they can do.
Unfortunately, that is not reflected in the laws that result. In california, this rifle is banned...

while this one is not...

the top rifle fires the round on the right, the bottom rifle fires the round on the left... both as fast as you can pull the trigger.

The same ignorance that went into writing that law went into concluding that it needed to be written.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboluv View Post
Unfortunately, that is not reflected in the laws that result. In california, this rifle is banned...

while this one is not...

the top rifle fires the round on the right, the bottom rifle fires the round on the left... both as fast as you can pull the trigger.

The same ignorance that went into writing that law went into concluding that it needed to be written.
But the nut cases are going to buy the one at the top. Do you need to buy that one? I mean really?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:42 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
But the nut cases are going to buy the one at the top. Do you need to buy that one? I mean really?
3,000,000 people own an AR of some kind. How many have been involved in crimes?

Here's a hint: Fewer than 1% of all murders are committed with weapons that qualify as an "assault weapon" under the '94 ban. More people are killed with knives.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I would like to have one on hand when the nut cases come calling, of course.... and if you were having dinner at my place when they did... you'd be glad I had it.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
How about posting misleading data and propaganda over and over and over and over and over...?

Since 1982, according to the liberal Mother Jones, there were 979 people murdered or injured in "mass shootings" in the U.S. and not all of those were "assault" rifles nor did they all have high capcity clips.

That's 32.63 people injured or killed in mass shootings a year.

The chance that you're going to die or be injured by a mass shooting is approximately .00003159% in any given year.

Just for comparison the chances that you'll die in an unintentional vehicle accident in 2009 were .01569653%.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdf

Also, there are 30 deaths per year involving sky diving.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:47 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It seems your premise here is that "anti-gunners" are just ignorant about firearms and purely driven by emotion. You seem to expect them to condemn any "scary" looking gun, even if it is not really scary.

You are wrong.

Look at what gun control advocates actually say, instead of what the NRA says they say. We don't object to certain guns based on what they look like. We object to certain guns based on what they can do.
"A person who acts without reason reacts to what he does not know, but a person that uses reason to makes wise choices about things that he does"

Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboluv View Post
I would like to have one on hand when the nut cases come calling, of course.... and if you were having dinner at my place when they did... you'd be glad I had it.
I rest my case. I live an a country where I don't worry about crap like that when I'm having dinner. Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies