Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Whats the big deal...Typical Government worker...

Formal Reprimand Issued To Flatulent Federal Worker | The Smoking Gun
Jeez. I know the government has the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, but I didn't know it has a strategic gas reserve as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Undoubtedly, all of the hostility directed towards government employees is deserved. The majority of people who serve their federal, state, or local town government have a sole purpose in life to **** people off.
I'm a public librarian... please explain how I pi-- people off, or why I would even want to do that? Do you know what a librarian does, what educational requirements the job holds, or that we're mostly government employees too?

Quote:
Secondly, it is assumed that the government employee is lazy. This is a fairly accurate assumption. While not true for each and every employee, it is correct for most. When you become employed by the government, what usually happens is you become part of a union. This is a good thing for the employee, because from this point on, he or she has job security. As long as you do not do something enormously stupid, chances are you will never be fired. Lectured, yes. A bad mark on your permanent record, maybe. Pressured to quit, certainly. But if you have stamina and balls, then you have a job for the rest of your life. As soon as you get comfy, the slack begins. Hour lunches turn into hour and a half lunches. Work starts at 9:00 AM, but if you get here 9:30 AM, you're still on time. Go figure. And best of all, you get "wash up time" which means that at 4:50 PM every day you are excused to go "wash up", which means you get to bail and get on the T early, as opposed to the rest of the other poor schmucks working around Government Center who get out at 5:00 PM.
"Not true for each and every employee" - in my experiences, I would say it's not true for MOST of us.

We are forced to join the unions, but that doesn't keep a person from being fired, and certainly doesn't allow us to act as we please. I also don't get long lunch breaks, 30 minutes if I'm lucky, and usually get called away from breaks to answer reference questions (since I'm the only librarian at one of the branches where I work). I work almost every weekend, 3 nights/week until 8 or 9pm, and only get two consecutive days off ONCE A MONTH if that. And since I work for a county system, I sometimes have to drive 30+ miles (each way) on my own dime, to fill in extra shifts when other branches are short-staffed. How about you? What is your work schedule like, and do you have to work nights & weekends without overtime pay? I do.

Quote:
Lastly, resentment. I do believe some people are jealous of the so called high life that the government employees take advantage of. Plenty of people try to acquire one of these positions, but usually people get promoted from within. Unless you are related to someone, or sleep with someone, your chances of getting a job here are slim to none.
BS. I've never heard of such a thing, and government jobs are REQUIRED to be posted to the public, unless it's an internal transfer from the same position. I didn't know or sleep with anyone at my current library, and got my name out there by volunteering first, then doing extra-help work in addition to my then-current job. Once they knew I was a reliable and efficient worker, I interviewed for a few different permanent positions, and eventually nailed the one I have now. Besides, you can't even apply for a librarian position without the MLIS (Master of Library & Information Science), so it's not like some yahoo could just sleep with the boss and get hired. Even with the non-librarian jobs, I've met very few government employees who got their jobs through nepotism.

And so forth... I'm sorry, but these stereotypes are really getting tiring, and whoever wrote this is a d-bag. Plain and simple. All of that being said, however, I do love my job! We're underpaid, overworked, under-appreciated, and downright insulted/abused at times - but I love what I do, and value the services we provide to our community. Please share, how do you enrich the community or contribute to society in your job? Do you even have a job?

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-22-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I could only wish I had a cushy government job...Maybe if I became a community organizer doing absolutely nothing except leeching money...I could go straight to the top...
He writes as I was sitting at the reference desk HARD AT WORK. Irony, LOL.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:12 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
We had a woman from France think should could fart in the office one day, (she had not lived here very long) and it really pissed a lot of people off. She was very matter of fact, she didn't see the harm in it. She was persona non grata from then on.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
We had a woman from France think should could fart in the office one day, (she had not lived here very long) and it really pissed a lot of people off. She was very matter of fact, she didn't see the harm in it. She was persona non grata from then on.
Hey, toots happen! My old boss, a usually modest/well-behaved middle-aged woman, once farted in front of me by accident... and I totally had to suppress a laugh, as she declared "oh my, excuse me!" No matter how old you get, farts are always funny to most of us.

Now, if they're constantly smelling up the workplace, that's a whole different story. But honestly, I'd rather have that than a perfume/cologne abuser (esp since I'm highly allergic).

Old 12-23-2012, 12:18 AM

Speaking of farts... I think my dog needs a formal reprimand right about now.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Speaking of farts... I think my dog needs a formal reprimand right about now.
ROTFLMAO.. You reminded me of something that happened 45 years ago.

We had a Doberman, and my dad used to take him with us in a VW bus to the store. He used to stand between the front seats, behind the gear shift.

One morning, My sister and I was riding to the store with my dad and Brandy, (the Dobie), and all of a sudden my sister elbowed me and and pointed at Brandy's behind, it was quivering and then we started laughing as he farted. My dad was all about, "What's so funny", and as we tried to tell him the dog was farting, he smelled the gas, and promptly blamed us for the the NASTY.

My sister and I still laugh to this day about it. (And yes, it DID smell nasty).

Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
ROTFLMAO.. You reminded me of something that happened 45 years ago.

We had a Doberman, and my dad used to take him with us in a VW bus to the store. He used to stand between the front seats, behind the gear shift.

One morning, My sister and I was riding to the store with my dad and Brandy, (the Dobie), and all of a sudden my sister elbowed me and and pointed at Brandy's behind, it was quivering and then we started laughing as he farted. My dad was all about, "What's so funny", and as we tried to tell him the dog was farting, he smelled the gas, and promptly blamed us for the the NASTY.

My sister and I still laugh to this day about it. (And yes, it DID smell nasty).

I'm laughing now.

Been there done that. Dog farts are the worst.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Yeah really...the following is confession of a typical government employee....

First, a little background on why we have such a bad rap:

Undoubtedly, all of the hostility directed towards government employees is deserved. The majority of people who serve their federal, state, or local town government have a sole purpose in life to **** people off. Meter maids give you parking tickets. Cops, well... cops can be pleasant if you give them a doughnut or even a donut, but most are not like Chief Wiggum and usually are present only to lecture you about doing something bad or illegal. Then, majority of politicians are government employees because they get elected to a public office they are not exactly well liked.

Secondly, it is assumed that the government employee is lazy. This is a fairly accurate assumption. While not true for each and every employee, it is correct for most. When you become employed by the government, what usually happens is you become part of a union. This is a good thing for the employee, because from this point on, he or she has job security. As long as you do not do something enormously stupid, chances are you will never be fired. Lectured, yes. A bad mark on your permanent record, maybe. Pressured to quit, certainly. But if you have stamina and balls, then you have a job for the rest of your life. As soon as you get comfy, the slack begins. Hour lunches turn into hour and a half lunches. Work starts at 9:00 AM, but if you get here 9:30 AM, you're still on time. Go figure. And best of all, you get "wash up time" which means that at 4:50 PM every day you are excused to go "wash up", which means you get to bail and get on the T early, as opposed to the rest of the other poor schmucks working around Government Center who get out at 5:00 PM. You would think that the government employees are leaving early as you see them running out of City Hall at this time, but in fact, the people who are leaving early are already home because they left anywhere around 4:30 PM. So counting smoking breaks (which you learn to take even if you don't smoke), regularly scheduled 15-minute breaks, getting in late, leaving early, extended lunch, and of course social gatherings around the water cooler... the average employee may work approximately four hours, while being paid for seven. This is the epitome of being lazy.

Lastly, resentment. I do believe some people are jealous of the so called high life that the government employees take advantage of. Plenty of people try to acquire one of these positions, but usually people get promoted from within. Unless you are related to someone, or sleep with someone, your chances of getting a job here are slim to none. And no... I didn't sleep with anyone (this time) to get my job. I took a co-op position which most any loser can acquire for a small fee. Close enough for government work is so true. Half assed is standard around here. You get a small amount of power to bully the average citizens. As they say, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. This all contributes to the bitter and pompous attitude of the government employee.

Now, don't get me wrong. I dread being a government employee. It is not the ideal work environment. We get 13 paid holidays, the internet connection is pretty fast, and you can slack consistently, but there's no free snacks, no fooseball and there is the fear of being a government employee for the rest of your life. I want out. But I am also perplexed, because I don't actively pursue another job. I just sit and gripe and node on the taxpayer's buck. I think I am on my way to being a really great government employee. So if you run into me, ask me how the job search goes. In the meantime, I am a government employee. Hear me snore.... ROAR. I mean roar."
All cynical, yet typical bull$***! I teach in a Middle School. My day is regulated by bells. I can't even go to a restroom when I feel the urge. There is NEVER time to slack, and whenever the economy is booming, they can't get enough people to do my job. I go to work daily, 30 minutes early, to get my work done. I spend plenty of evenings and weekends doing unpaid, but required, (and expected) school work. It's easy to start crap. It's a lot harder to back it up! OP you are an A$$hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies