Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:07 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

So much for gun regulation, does not exist, we need meaningful legislation.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PR- 436-11
December 14, 2011

MAYOR BLOOMBERG ANNOUNCES RESULTS OF FIRST EVER NATIONAL INVESTIGATION INTO ILLEGAL ONLINE GUN SALES

62 Percent of Private Sellers Agree to Sell Illegally - a Felony under Federal Law

Undercover Videos of Illegal Gun Sales and Full Report Available at www.nyc.gov

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly and Chief Policy Advisor John Feinblatt today announced the results of an investigation into internet gun sales, which found a vast and largely unregulated market for illegal guns, with 62 percent of private sellers willing to commit a felony by selling firearms to people who likely could not pass a background check. The investigation probed 10 websites that had 25,000 guns available for purchase and investigators contacted 125 private online gun sellers located in 14 states. The investigation included sellers on Craigslist, which prohibits the sale of firearms in its site according to its posted policies. The investigators clearly noted they probably could not pass a background check during each interaction with a seller. Videos of the illegal sales, including where the investigator meets the seller and the weapon and cash is exchanged, and a report on online gun sales – “Point, Click, Fire” – are available at www.nyc.gov. The Mayor unveiled the videos and the results of the investigation at City Hall, where some of the illegally purchased guns were displayed, including an illegally sold Ruger P95 9mm handgun – the exact make and model of the weapon a career criminal used to murder New York City Police Officer Peter Figoski earlier this week.

clear majority of the sellers – 77 of 125 private sellers – failed the integrity test by agreeing to sell to a purchaser who said he probably couldn’t pass a background check. Private sellers on Craigslist failed the integrity test at the highest rate, despite the fact that the site says that it prohibits the listing of weapons on its server. On the five websites where investigators contacted the most sellers, an illegal sale was agreed to:
  • Craigslist.com: 82 percent of the time
  • Glocktalk.com: 78 percent
  • Gunlistings.org: 77 percent
  • KSL.com: 67 percent
  • Armslist.com: 54 percent
NYC.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So much for gun regulation, does not exist, we need meaningful legislation.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PR- 436-11
December 14, 2011

MAYOR BLOOMBERG ANNOUNCES RESULTS OF FIRST EVER NATIONAL INVESTIGATION INTO ILLEGAL ONLINE GUN SALES

62 Percent of Private Sellers Agree to Sell Illegally - a Felony under Federal Law

Undercover Videos of Illegal Gun Sales and Full Report Available at www.nyc.gov

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly and Chief Policy Advisor John Feinblatt today announced the results of an investigation into internet gun sales, which found a vast and largely unregulated market for illegal guns, with 62 percent of private sellers willing to commit a felony by selling firearms to people who likely could not pass a background check. The investigation probed 10 websites that had 25,000 guns available for purchase and investigators contacted 125 private online gun sellers located in 14 states. The investigation included sellers on Craigslist, which prohibits the sale of firearms in its site according to its posted policies. The investigators clearly noted they probably could not pass a background check during each interaction with a seller. Videos of the illegal sales, including where the investigator meets the seller and the weapon and cash is exchanged, and a report on online gun sales – “Point, Click, Fire” – are available at www.nyc.gov. The Mayor unveiled the videos and the results of the investigation at City Hall, where some of the illegally purchased guns were displayed, including an illegally sold Ruger P95 9mm handgun – the exact make and model of the weapon a career criminal used to murder New York City Police Officer Peter Figoski earlier this week.

clear majority of the sellers – 77 of 125 private sellers – failed the integrity test by agreeing to sell to a purchaser who said he probably couldn’t pass a background check. Private sellers on Craigslist failed the integrity test at the highest rate, despite the fact that the site says that it prohibits the listing of weapons on its server. On the five websites where investigators contacted the most sellers, an illegal sale was agreed to:
  • Craigslist.com: 82 percent of the time
  • Glocktalk.com: 78 percent
  • Gunlistings.org: 77 percent
  • KSL.com: 67 percent
  • Armslist.com: 54 percent
NYC.gov

agreeing and actually doing it is something different. I have seen the tactic lots of times. agree to sell a firearm to a person, and when the check clears they send the firearm to the nearest FFL holder near them and then tell them to pick up their firearm there. no matter how you put it, most people dont want to break federal laws concerning firearms, no matter how unconstitutional they are.

bloomberg is just too much of an idiot to see this. he is just looking for his next vote and doesnt really give a crap about anyone but himself.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
If we could shut down the Internet, this criminal activity would not occur.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,136,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
agreeing and actually doing it is something different. I have seen the tactic lots of times. agree to sell a firearm to a person, and when the check clears they send the firearm to the nearest FFL holder near them and then tell them to pick up their firearm there. no matter how you put it, most people dont want to break federal laws concerning firearms, no matter how unconstitutional they are.

bloomberg is just too much of an idiot to see this. he is just looking for his next vote and doesnt really give a crap about anyone but himself.
Bloomberg is beyond stupid. This will have about the same effect as banning big sugary drinks.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If we could shut down the Internet, this criminal activity would not occur.
yeah right, but I think if the feds could get awy with shutting it down, they would do exactly that.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:37 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Isnt there enough going on in NY to keep Bloomberg busy?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Isnt there enough going on in NY to keep Bloomberg busy?

nah, he still wants the feds to pick up the whole tab for sandy. I have a great idea, lets move most of the population of nyc into all those fema trailers just sitting down in the south. then maybe something will happen.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
odd I have never seen any guns for sale on NH craigs list.. i don't think guns are allowed for sale on craigs list. I call BS to that.

I never heard of anyone getting busted either for this.... Evidently the BATFE doesn't give a rats ass or this is all BS pure and simple.

And with uin state face to face buys are legal, and i never heard of a crime where FTF buy was made .. Another lefty epic fail. Why don't you people go get toilet paper registered or something.

We already know your ideas on quality life murdering 1 million + pre-borns.

Just quit pretending your sorry about the 26..... You would abort them no problem given the chance.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:57 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
I don't get this.

Unless the asking price is significantly above the market price, I can't understand why anyone would agree to this. I would NEVER sell a firearm to someone who admitted to me they couldn't pass a background check, first, I would assume it was a government trap, but even if it wasn't, there are PLENTY of people out there who want firearms that finding one who is legal, or at the very least, hasn't TOLD ME they're not, would not be difficult.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,184,958 times
Bloomberg....did't you already learn your lesson? LMAO

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies