Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
You look like Rachel Ray.

And in my opinion - outside your grand child's complexion - she doesn't look much like you.
SPARE ME the whole "mixed kids never look like the white mother/father" line. I don't look like my mother...but I am the spitting image of my grandfather, all the way down to the cheekbones and those dark Sicilian circles under the eyes. I look so much like a browner, stockier version of a young Joe Pesci that majority of blacks don't think I'm black when they first meet me, and neither does just about anyone else.

Also, I don't look anything like my father or anyone on his side of the family, as many mixed people often never look like their black side either.

Quote:
What do you consider:

Mariah Carey
Halle Berry
Alicia Keys
?
Mixed, mixed and mixed.

Quote:
All three have white mommas. The first two their mommas were blonde haired women.
Okay, and this guy (Martin Gore of Depeche Mode) had a black father...is he black because of the "one drop rule written by long dead racist that we all must follow forever"

Old 12-27-2012, 03:30 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
If I must categorize myself, I prefer the term multiracial, end of subject. I don't have a direct ancestor of any race, but rather a family with a history of racial mixing. My father is a mixed race Brazilian. My mom has ancestry from Jamaica, Scotland, Mohawk, Arawak and African. I am proud of carrying traits from all of the races.

My daughters are also half Mexican-American. Their pics are in my profile -- one is lighter than the other, but they are both sisters.

As kumbayah as it sounds, I wish we could just move on past race and looks.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Apparently you haven't been in many rural areas.

I recall that the Irish and Italians were heavily discriminated.

David Hennessy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not just in rural America. My grandfather went through that stuff in the North East.

Not to mention gays, women, Latinos, Asians etc who are discriminated against.

The issue is, a certain segment of black America is convinced that they are the only ones on Earth who have ever been targeted by bigotry. Really...do blacks in America think they have it just as bad as the Roma (Gypsies) of Europe?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Not just in rural America. My grandfather went through that stuff in the North East.

The issue is, a certain segment of black America is convinced that they are the only ones on Earth who have ever been targeted by bigotry. Really...do blacks in America think they have it just as bad as the Roma (Gypsies) of Europe?
I agree. I only have experience outside if the rural areas though.

I grew up with the same "everyone hates us, the cops hate black people" mentality. The first time I saw it happening to white people I was absolutely stunned.

I like Bill Cosby. White people may have knocked you down a long time ago but why the **** are you still down? (Paraphrase)

Old 12-27-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You did the same thing when you said that black Americans shouldn't be claiming to be mixed because they're too African to do so............

I said it makes little sense. I also said it makes little sense for people like Jackie Kennedy, with one black ancestor way back, to call herself mixed instead of...does that make me anti-white? (notice how that point gets conveniently ignored even though I said it a dozen times )

I am pro-consistency. If someone is overwhelmingly one thing with a little of something else, that person is the thing they are. Just as I would never try to join some native tribe organization because of a ancestor way back who was Native American (I practice what I preach) it would be odd for J. Edgar Hoover or some other white with an ancient black ancestor or some black person with an ancient white ancestor to call themselves anything but black.

They had a show in the UK where they tested white people's DNA and found that many had non-English DNA...but they were still white.

If you look it AND identify as it, you are it. I neither look black nor identify as black...so what am I?

Nick Griffin DNA Test - YouTube

Old 12-27-2012, 03:51 PM

215 posts, read 182,368 times
Quote:

Okay, and this guy (Martin Gore of Depeche Mode) had a black father...is he black because of the "one drop rule written by long dead racist that we all must follow forever"
Is his dad 1/4 black? Clearly the guy's hair is dyed. I would have to see his dad.

Julian Bond (civil rights proponent) is "black" but clearly he has a ton of European blood. His phenotype would not be so pronounced if otherwise: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...GIbaqgH7noDIDw

Same with Thurgood Marshall, the first "black" SCOTUS: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&bpcl=40096503

I've seen old white guys that are darker than both of them. So yeah unfortunately the "one drop rule" does still play a role in this country.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
When EVERYONE is treated equally by everyone else in this nation, I would have absolutely no problem with doing away with racial/ethnic categories. But far too many people still have far too many prejudices for true equality...all one has to do is look at the venom spewed daily/hourly on this forum in general regarding Black people (and in particular with President Obama and the First Lady Michelle Obama)to know that America is NOT a colorblind society.
And if blacks treated everyone as their own, I would have no problem with being called black. There is an issue that WE ALL KNOW EXISTS but that few are willing to say out loud: BLACKS ARE NOT LIKE GERMANS WITH ONE, MONOLITHIC GROUP, BUT ARE LIKE THE ASIANS WITH MANY GROUPS WHO DON'T GET ALONG.

African Immigrants and black Americans are well known to not like each other:

African vs. African American: Same Color, Different Views : Tell Me More : NPR

And like I keep saying, blacks and mixed people are not the same. No one is better than the other, just saying, we are different.

Quote:
Racism starts with those who believe that their arbitruary racial characteristics make them "better" than another group. I am glad that the government tracks racial statistics. This data is important in terms of gauging where we are and where we need to go.
And guess what? Racism and culturalism are two different things. The reason so many people have issue with black Americans is often not their race, but their culture. That is why Nigerian Americans do so much better than black Americans.
Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Lastly, I find it ironic that the same people who want to do away with checking race boxes are the same ones who openly express their disdain for people in the other boxes.
That I agree with. Yes, racism does exist, but I feel it is not as bad as others would admit and it is different for different people. Like I said, being white does come with certain privileges...and so does being mixed: Americans rank mixed race people ahead of blacks socially | theGrio

What I define myself as wont change anything: I don't look black or white and hence, people treat me as I look (mixed or brown Latino) and not black or white.

I just wish more boxed to check would be like the census, where you can pick more than one...and, for that matter, they should ask nation of origin. Maybe that way more black Americans would get to college and not just the usual armada of African immigrants or West Indians.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:03 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:

The Jews of Europe did. That's irrelevant, however, as we're talking about America.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm all for removing the checkbox for race and ethnicity off every government form, every finanical aid application, and job application. Racism starts with the government -- if you notice public schools will insist that a race box be checked -- why?

So that if they get sued for discrimination, they can go back and have a record of who they accepted. You get no benefits for who you are, they just want to keep a record so they can prove no one gets a benefit...or that's how it's suppose to work.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The Jews of Europe did. That's irrelevant, however, as we're talking about America.
Jews in America were discrimimated against too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies