Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I'm sure they will make certain that their children are born in the U.S. (thus securing citizenship in this country for their children) before heading back "home" to India.
So what if they do? My kids are going to be born in Ireland to ensure they get citizenship as well. They'll be American regardless.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Almond eyes:

Round eyes
Ok....then my eyes are oval. Im Swedish.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Quote:
Truthfully, I really don't see what his issue is. I am all for him identifying as mixed, because that's what he'd like to be called and that's what he is.

I do however believe that his anger is misdirected. Perhaps he was abandoned by his father, and feels a great deal of resentment towards blacks for his father's actions.
I don't know if you're talking about me...
And I don't know if I fit the bill (Did my father abandon me?)...

But, it would be a disservice to my mother to call myself black. She raised me, put food on the table,, etc etc.

I've talked to her a bit about it, and she's hinted at not particularly liking her children being referred to as only black. It has nothing to do with her 'racism',...she married probably the blackest guy you can marry...rather, I think it's just that she'd appreciate if her kids, if no one else, recognized her contribution to us.

As for me being resentful towards a father who wasn't there...that's just kid stuff. I know he did what he could...no man doesn't...particularly his type..

And I can't really project his failings, which really are selfishly minded, on to a whole race of people. First of all, black divides such that he himself isn't black....I mean, he is, but in my mind he's dad..so it's different.

Really, though, I don't think I'm worthy of the title of black. At least, his type of black...my black is weaker. His black he earned by doing stuff, living a life, that I didn't...perhaps couldn't.

It's a credit towards "actual" black people. A sign of deference, to not call myself black, knowing very well that many don't consider me so, and they have the right to do so.

What no one can take away from me though is that I have both black blood and white blood pumping through my veins. The one argument you'll never win is that I have a white mom and a black dad. That's a universal...it's a fact...regardless of anyone and everyone.

But, as for, 'am I black'? That's an argument that can and does go both ways depending on who is judging. Same with, 'am I white?'

If anything, being half white is harder for me. You have a whole race of people who insist on me being not white, when a whole bunch of other people consider you white. But their problems aren't with me, they're with each other...so I keep out of it. The truth, though, is they're both right...and wrong...and ignorant of each others, and their own, intentions.

Last edited by dub dub II; 12-27-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Truthfully, I really don't see what his issue is. I am all for him identifying as mixed, because that's what he'd like to be called and that's what he is.

I do however believe that his anger is misdirected. Perhaps he was abandoned by his father, and feels a great deal of resentment towards blacks for his father's actions.
Could be. I don't care what he calls himself either. Just don't take your issues out on me.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 PM

734 posts, read 932,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I don't know if you're talking about me...
And I don't know if I fit the bill (Did my father abandon me?)...

But, it would be a disservice to my mother to call myself black. She raised me, put food on the table,, etc etc.

I've talked to her a bit about it, and she's hinted at not particularly liking her children being referred to as only black. It has nothing to do with her 'racism',...she married probably the blackest guy you can marry...rather, I think it's just that she'd appreciate if her kids, if no one else, recognized her contribution to us.

As for me being resentful towards a father who wasn't there...that's just kid stuff. I know he did what he could...no man doesn't...particularly his type..

And I can't really project his failings, which really are selfishly minded, on to a whole race of people. First of all, black divides such that he himself isn't black....I mean, he is, but in my mind he's dad..so it's different.

Really, though, I don't think I'm worthy of the title of black. At least, his type of black...my black is weaker. His black he earned by doing stuff, living a life, that I didn't...perhaps couldn't.

It's a credit towards "actual" black people. A sign of deference, to not call myself black, knowing very well that many don't consider me so, and they have the right to do so.

What no one can take away from me though is that I have both black blood and white blood pumping through my veins. The one argument you'll never win is that I have a white mom and a black dad. That's a universal...it's a fact...regardless of anyone and everyone.

But, as for, 'am I black'? That's an argument that can and does go both ways depending on who is judging. Same with, 'am I white?'

If anything, being half white is harder for me. You have a whole race of people who insist on me being not white, when a whole bunch of other people consider you white. But their problems aren't with me, they're with each other...so I keep out of it. The truth, though, is they're both right...and wrong...and ignorant of each others, and their own, intentions.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I seriously think you would have less issues with blacks, if your dad had participated in your upbringing. It's too bad that he wasn't there for you or your mom.

Anyhow, there's no need to explain why you identify as mixed. You have every right to view yourself as biracial. I simply do not understand why some biracial individuals tend to unleash their frustration onto black folks. Truth be told, blacks didn't create the "one drop rule," nor did blacks have any role in enforcing it.

The good news is, a new day is upon us. Biracial individuals are free to identify with every aspect of their racial makeup. Stop worrying about what other people think, and you'll be a far happier individual.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I seriously think you would have less issues with blacks, if your dad had participated in your upbringing. It's too bad that he wasn't there for you or your mom.

Anyhow, there's no need to explain why you identify as mixed. You have every right to view yourself as biracial. I simply do not understand why some biracial individuals tend to unleash their frustration onto black folks. Truth be told, blacks didn't create the "one drop rule," nor did blacks have any role in enforcing it.
Ah, maybe because it is only blacks ones promoting the one drop rule today and insisting that anyone with so much as a deep tan is black. Also, they are the only ones who get upset and throw fits when a brown person says they aren't black. When a brown person says they aren't white, white people don't flip out...but blacks? It's "Uncle Tom this" or "Uncle Ruckus that".

Oh, and I was raised by my black father in a black neighborhood around mostly black people, and I know I am not black. Likewise if I was raised around white people, I would know I am not white. Anyone who thinks blacks accept mixed people easily is on crack. The only reasons people like Obama get a pass is because they are darker than average mixed people and can pass as black easily, while people like me can't.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Probably because they're too black and can't pass the paper bag test. "But I'm half Sicilian! " they wail in futile protest.......
Yes and I'm also too white to be accepted by "da brotha's" in "da hood," so what is your point?

Like I've been saying, neither whites nor blacks accept us fully.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
His issues stem from living around impoverished (ignorant) folks. He really needs to get a better job, so that he can make inroads into a desirable community.

Every day poor folks like Victorian do not have access to the likes of Jack and Jill and the links. Membership into such organizations are by invitation only. One must have a professional/upper income parent who was a member, or a close relative who knows someone that's part of the organization and even then, there's no guarantee of admission.
I am a leftist, and it is hard to get by in America, I agree. That being said, NO ONE IN AMERICA CAN NOT AFFORD TO STOP BEING GHETTO.

What, can they not afford a belt to stop their pants from hanging to their ankles? Why not do what I did if you want to learn something: GO TO THE DAMN LIBRARY! Speaking proper English is a good idea too. One can easily learn proper English just by watching television...documentaries that is, not Black Evil Television.

And I now make enough and live in suburb outside Seattle. And guess what? I still see blacks, who are not raised in the ghetto, doing everything they can to emulate the ghetto lifestyle.

"Ghetto" is a choice, not circumstances. One may not be able to afford healthcare or childcare or former education, but EVERYONE ON EARTH CAN AFFORD TO BEHAVE THEMSELVES IF THEY SO CHOOSE.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I'm sorry, but name me a human being that is more effected by 12% of his/her DNA than they are 88% of their DNA.

Again, I NEVER CLAIMED BEING NON-BLACK MAKES ME SPECIAL!! Get that in your mind because I am not. Blacks have a different experience from us mixed race people. We are not better, not worse, just different. How F*****ing hard is that to understand?
LMAO...yea, you're so different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
:thumbup: +1000000

They don't want to understand. Holding ourselves apart because we are different is offensive to them.

They (the ones here whining) have such low self esteem that anything they consider not wanting to be black upsets them.

They are probably foaming at the mouth right now about you "wanting to be white." Lol
Holding yourselves apart?

Hey, if that helps you sleep at night.

Anyway, enough of this dumbass thread.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:50 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Yes and I'm also too white to be accepted by "da brotha's" in "da hood," so what is your point?

Like I've been saying, neither whites nor blacks accept us fully.
I'm not from da hood, so I don't know anything about your issues there. But I do believe you'd have issues anywhere; hence the artificial bubble you've constructed for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies