Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Wow, I'm impressed. Six success stories in 15 years. Now lets look at how many thousands of people got accidentally shot in the last 15 years.

1. Your video is not a proper controlled example. It has already been shown that it is biased in its testing to produce the result it was looking for.

2. The poster provided "some" examples, it is by no means the total number of cases.

3. Please do provide some numbers of people accidentally shot. I do believe there is some data out there for such, just as there is some data concerning crimes that were stopped by people with guns.

Fair warning though, there is a ton of crap out there that tries to mislead concerning the data, make sure you look very closely at their sources and methodology. Also make sure to properly compare like evaluations between such. Note that even though they may be like in what they evaluate, they will also be lacking many other variables which may effect the data (ie, you won't be able to make any conclusions concerning it).

If you are truly honest in this pursuit, then I think you may be surprised at what you find. There was an author of a commonly cited book that did research on gun control. He started out as an advocate of it, but changed his position after extensive research into the issue.

I am not saying you will be convinced to a given side, but if you do extensive research and come out thinking there is conclusive support for gun control advocacy, then you might as well not bother because you have already made up your mind before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Then as the most armed developed country, you would think that we would have the least number of gun related homicides or homicides in general, but instead we rank as the higest developed nation just above Armenia and India.
I won't state conclusively that more guns = less crime, that is a huge argument in and of itself. I will say that having the number of guns that we do and our crime rates not being significant within our population (number of guns vs people and incidents with them) combined with evaluating the number of crimes in other countries, it would suggest that guns are likely not the issue of crime itself.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
The right to carry a concealed weapon doesn't guarantee anyone that they will NOT be robbed or killed by another shooter. It only guarantees us the right to have the opportunity to defend ourselves (and others). That is all that we ask.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I am not saying you will be convinced to a given side, but if you do extensive research and come out thinking there is conclusive support for gun control advocacy, then you might as well not bother because you have already made up your mind before.
If you search the relevant literature you will find more critical critiques of John Lott and Gary Kleck's (the authors that your refer to without citing than their is research supporting their positions.

Just one for example below.

http://www.bmsg.org/pdfs/myths.pdf

Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world.

What a crock of BS.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If you search the relevant literature you will find more critical critiques of John Lott and Gary Kleck's (the authors that your refer to without citing than their is research supporting their positions.

Just one for example below.

http://www.bmsg.org/pdfs/myths.pdf

Sure, but keep in mind none are conclusive. I am not arguing that one side is conclusive over another, with the data available and the many research attempts out there, few attend to the numerous variables that also show correlation to occurrence.

So while I think that none of the research proves a given side, I do think both prove that neither side is conclusive to reliable point.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,342 times
Quote:
I like this one much better.......

Steven Seagal is Out for Justice - YouTube

Seagal and Team shooting Belsco POST Target - YouTube

Steven Segal shooting a match head off a match - YouTube

Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
The average criminal with a gun isn't a highly trained SWAT team member or firearms instructor. This was a highly staged demonstration, carefully choreographed by an anti-gun so-called "news" program. In spite of which, the CCW holders got in some solid hits, and bought time for the unarmed to escape. Instead of being methodically slaughtered one at a time.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The average criminal with a gun isn't a highly trained SWAT team member or firearms instructor. This was a highly staged demonstration, carefully choreographed by an anti-gun so-called "news" program. In spite of which, the CCW holders got in some solid hits, and bought time for the unarmed to escape. Instead of being methodically slaughtered one at a time.
The real truth is that a dedicated CCW holder practices MORE than LEOs and even the SWAT team. I've seen several ex-military guys laugh at a SWAT team member in a gun shop before. He couldn't field strip an AR without trouble and grunting.

In short...your "title" has nothing to do with your skills. It's who took the time to learn all they could and practices the most. Like say......200 rounds a WEEK MINIMUM.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
Quote:
Wow, I'm impressed. Six success stories in 15 years. Now lets look at how many thousands of people got accidentally shot in the last 15 years.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies