Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 01:06 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times

Advertisements

Of course the rest of the world thinks we are kooks:

Here is a good site that the articles revolve on regularly. No editorial stance, just reprints from around the world.
The gun kook stuff has been a hot topic lately.

Watching America

Old 12-29-2012, 01:22 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101
Your facts and figures sterilize the fact that even with the lower murder rate 35 people a day are killed by guns in the USA,10-12K per year.Would that kind of per capita rate be acceptable in your country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
And 270 people per day are killed by their Doctors in the US due to medical errors... where is the outcry for more training and stricter controls over Physicians?

Even using the Brady Gun Control numbers, there are over 100,000 lives saved per year by use of firearms in their defense, that is almost 10 times the number taken by firearms... do we just let those 100,000 die without a way to defend themselves? (The actual number isn't really known but according to most reliable sources, is actually between 800,000 and 2.5 million uses of firearms in self defense per year in the US). Even your anti-gun proponents numbers support firearms as effective self-defense, you just are too blind to comprehend that fact.
People are killed by various means throughout the world every day, this topic is about the world view of Americans and their guns not their doctors, feel free to start your own topic on other issues you feel are important..
Your claim of 100K people being saved by guns is suspect, gotta link?, and if indeed you can prove 100K -2-5 million people are saved by guns in the USA every year it paints a very dreary picture of just how pervasive the gun culture is in America.
Now in a topic themed Worlds view of guns in America it seems you've only given a bunch of questionable presumably NRA stats with no relevant world view at all.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
The gun culture is odd to me. So is the notion of police officers on campuses, the loony suggestion of armed teachers.... None of this is freedom. Its not an environment I'd want my children gaining their education in.

Honestly, it makes me appreciate where I live, and prompted us to think about our own legislation and its impacts.

I'm not going to say what US should do - as its a domestic issue, but I do think something has to be done. This can no longer be ignored.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
We Americans are armed to the teeth because every country on Planet Earth hates us for our freedoms and are a continually threat to all of our freedoms.

I for one don't want to share my freedom fries with any foreigner so I carry 6 weapons with me no matter where I go.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
We Americans are armed to the teeth because every country on Planet Earth hates us for our freedoms and are a continually threat to all of our freedoms.

I for one don't want to share my freedom fries with any foreigner so I carry 6 weapons with me no matter where I go.
Just WTF does that mean? Didn't GW Idiot spout that sh*t as well? You carry 6 weapons wherever you go? That is total BS.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Most over used term of the month: "armed to the teeth"

Yea everyones running around with Ak-47s, spare pistol strapped to their ankles, guard towers outside every home... welcome to America

Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Default Precisly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
or, you can look at syria or chechnya:

This is moral relativism and largely absurd. I, too, am a northerner, and i also grew up on military bases... Next to no soldiers have any desire to fire upon their own countrymen and i'd find it hard to believe that many of them would obey an order to fire upon american civilians given the order to, unless they were some sort of armed revolutionary force.

I find the moral views that dominate politics in the south to be as immoral and backwards as many southerners find mine to be. By your rationale, a nothern boy who is deployed to and doesn't feel any real kinship towards the south is probably about as apt to fire on a civilian as a southern boy deployed to the north who doesn't really feel any kinship with anyone.

This is one of the major reasons that the national guard is supposed to mobilized by the governor - you have the california national guard, the texas national guard, the massachusetts national guard, etc. - so that in the event that troops are mobilized, they're comprised predominantly of soldiers who live in that state and community.

And that's the caveat to this...

If you take out a tank but you lose 1,000 people for that one... Well, what did you really gain?

i think this is definitely a large part of it, and why even people who don't like guns don't generally support a sweeping, wholesale ban on them.
^ this^

Old 12-29-2012, 02:16 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post

LOL.
That whole freedom fries thing was pretty funny

Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
LOL.
That whole freedom fries thing was pretty funny
It was funny. But I couldn't get any intelligent replies when I asked if the US would send back the Statue of Liberty that was a gift from France. No one seemed to know where it came from.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Just WTF does that mean? Didn't GW Idiot spout that sh*t as well? You carry 6 weapons wherever you go? That is total BS.
A man with no sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies