Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
That little statement got my attention. sorry to burst your bubble rastus.........but I was spit on while wearing my class "A's" walking through the airport in san francisco to catch my plane home after being processed at Oakland out of active duty.I had just spent a year in vietnam.Your posts til now have a common thread of "show me the Proof".............I am here to tell you it DID happen.......
So where were you when books were being written trying to document cases of Vietnem Vets being spit on as they came home? How is it that all of sudden and in one day multiple (anonymous) people conveniently show up testifying to personal experiences for which historians and authors have been unable to find genuine evidence?

Well, that's actually pretty typical of Urban Legends. It is also not unheard of for people to manufacture memories based on the repetition of Urban Legends. I myself am a vet who joined the Army before the end of the war, but was still in basic when it ended. I served through the 70s and into 1983 with countless Vietnam Vets... and not one of them has ever told me of a similar experience. With the exception of some girls who threw some flowers at me once in about 1975, I never experienced any derision or abuse for being a soldier... even from people who were actively pacifist. It may not have been very easy to get dates in uniform in 1974, but that's hardly the equivalent of being spat upon.

There are good social and psychological reasons for the invention and proliferation of that particular tale. But if you were actually ever spat upon, then you are one of a tiny, tiny minority of people who have managed to have their experience inflated by time and retelling into a common myth. What an astounding coincidence that we are blessed with your presence here right when "we need it."

That said, you also are mistaken that my posts "have a common thread of "show me proof." Being aware that there is no such thing as "proof" for most anything, I make it a general rule to avoid such demands. I ask for evidence, sure. But on an anonymous internet forum? Never "proof."

And finally... "rastus?" Seriously? I mean, how much effort does it take to appear racist and clueless with a single word?

Hint: I'm not black. I hope your aim with a mini-gun was better than your aim with a insult. Then again, it was a mini-gun. Who needs to actually be able to aim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
you would be right except for one thing. Kerry lied about the atrociteis..........He made it ALL up
Oh?

American Experience | PBS | The My Lai Massacre

We are among the only nations in the world that has ever had the moral courage and integrity to hold trials and convict our own war criminals. The downside is that we can never again pretend that there were none, and that American soldiers have never committed any.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
So where were you when books were being written trying to document cases of Vietnem Vets being spit on as they came home? How is it that all of sudden and in one day multiple (anonymous) people conveniently show up testifying to personal experiences for which historians and authors have been unable to find genuine evidence?

Well, that's actually pretty typical of Urban Legends. It is also not unheard of for people to manufacture memories based on the repetition of Urban Legends. I myself am a vet who joined the Army before the end of the war, but was still in basic when it ended. I served through the 70s and into 1983 with countless Vietnam Vets... and not one of them has ever told me of a similar experience. With the exception of some girls who threw some flowers at me once in about 1975, I never experienced any derision or abuse for being a soldier... even from people who were actively pacifist. It may not have been very easy to get dates in uniform in 1974, but that's hardly the equivalent of being spat upon.

There are good social and psychological reasons for the invention and proliferation of that particular tale. But if you were actually ever spat upon, then you are one of a tiny, tiny minority of people who have managed to have their experience inflated by time and retelling into a common myth. What an astounding coincidence that we are blessed with your presence here right when "we need it."

You really make a lot of assumptions about me and history without a lot of input from others.Actually,until I began using the internet {sometime in the80's}I was unaware that anyone had done a study on vietnam vets being spit on.Until then, I had never been called a liar about it happening to me.I have news for you. that incident is burned into my memory.A friend I had served with in the same unit in vietnam and I were DEROS'ed home the same day and also discharged. We lived about 40 miles apart in Illinois.We both were walking through the airport,side by side to our plane home.Two Girls who appeared to be our age,in cut-offs and long hair,were walking toward us.They did not seem to be paying attention to us. so when they were a few feet from us,I said"hello girls".They both looked at us, immediately looked disgusted,spit on us,and said" F**K you you Baby-killers",and kept going.My friend and I both looked at each other,and shook our heads and kept going............
Make it up?? why? It happened. As to your "research",I have been called a liar about this more times than I can count.So I have searched for this research. Most of it is from one guy who happens to have belonged to a war protest group.He wrote a book saying it is a myth.So he interviewed all 2 million of us?

That said, you also are mistaken that my posts "have a common thread of "show me proof." Being aware that there is no such thing as "proof" for most anything, I make it a general rule to avoid such demands. I ask for evidence, sure. But on an anonymous internet forum? Never "proof."

And finally... "rastus?" Seriously? I mean, how much effort does it take to appear racist and clueless with a single word?

Hint: I'm not black. I hope your aim with a mini-gun was better than your aim with a insult. Then again, it was a mini-gun. Who needs to actually be able to aim?
Just for your info............I never used a mini gun. I used an M-60. What insult?? I just use that name when I don't know someone elses name........

Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Oh?

American Experience | PBS | The My Lai Massacre

We are among the only nations in the world that has ever had the moral courage and integrity to hold trials and convict our own war criminals. The downside is that we can never again pretend that there were none, and that American soldiers have never committed any.

Reading comprehension 101.I never said american soldiers never committed any atrocities.I said the ones Kerry said happened DID NOT...........he co-erced some of those guys into lying,and he exaggerated the rest.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Just for your info............I never used a mini gun. I used an M-60. What insult?? I just use that name when I don't know someone elses name........
Hmmmm.... Apparently reading comprehension is a problem for you since all poster's user names are right up there for everyone to see.

So let's see. We're supposed to believe what you claim about Kerry while you also claim you used a pejorative name for Blacks to refer to someone.... because you don't know the poster's name. Yes that carries weight.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hmmmm.... Apparently reading comprehension is a problem for you since all poster's user names are right up there for everyone to see.

So let's see. We're supposed to believe what you claim about Kerry while you also claim you used a pejorative name for Blacks to refer to someone.... because you don't know the poster's name. Yes that carries weight.

Thats crazy........ first time I ever heard of someone actually named "Historian dude"............

Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, while Kerry was "finagling" his bronze and silver stars, Bush/Chaney/Rumsfeld were "finagling" their way out of the armed forces.
You need to replace Mr Rumsfeld's name. He served in the United States Navy during the years 1954-1957, then transferred to the Naval Reserve.

You could replace Mr Rumsfeld's name with VP Biden's.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Thats crazy........ first time I ever heard of someone actually named "Historian dude"............
Well, ok. "Jeffdoorgunner."

Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Heaven forbid we should have a Secretary of State who is ANTI-WAR !!!!

What this country really needs is another Condolezza Rice ... who ignores her terrorism expert Richard A. Clarkes Jan 2001 urgent memo about meeting on Al Qaeda, and then lies us into an unnecessary war with Iraq!

How many Americans died in Iraq? 4000? 5000? How many Americans died in 9/11? 3000?

So .... if you are trying to find blood on the hands of a former Secretary of State ... look no further than your own party!!!
++ yes.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
And here we have an example of leftism, telling someone to read history to see who was on the right side of an issue.

History will tell you what happened, not what to think about what happened. What you've been reading is propaganda disguised as history.

Kerry did have every right to throw his medals over the fence. And we have every right to consider him a POS for doing so.

And while you're sitting there being amazed at people not agreeing with you, you might consider the fact that your opinions are not absolute truths. As foreign a concept as it might be to you, other people really are allowed to think what they want even if it differs from you.
Well in terms of history it really doesn't get anymore accurate and meaningful than when the secretary of defense indicates he was wrong and the war was a mistake, what does your history tell you regarding the war, or should I say police action? I think 40 years after the war ended we have the ability to judge with some objectivity, maybe you thought they should all be good soldiers when they came home and go off into the sunset.

Still stunning that you harbor such hatred for someone that did not start the war, did not fund it and did not cast a vote to continue the draft. You are perfectly willing to critcize people like Kerry but not a word on the congressmen that not only voted to continue the war, but avoided Vietnam through their political connections. Your anger is misdirected to say the least, maybe someday you will have the opportunity to throw your own medals over the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies