Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Would you as a gun owner support closing the loop hole on face to face private sales and require all sales have back ground checks? This would not restrict anything you can buy and sell it would just require that if you own a gun and want to sell it you have to go through a dealer or police dept. to do the back ground check. If in the new law it was written that you could not be charged for any part of it, so no cost to you but a bit of time to meet your buyer at a dealer or police dept. to do a back ground check You would get a a paper that said you sold this gun to so and so and they passed the check. Would you support this one piece of regulation or not. If not please tell me your rational on why not?
Yes. I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 10:53 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
To answer the OP: Yes, I would accept that. I would actually accept a number of restrictions - with two caveats.

(1) We put a time limit on it, like the previous ban had, and the law would be repealed if significant reductions in loss of life had not occurred. Because I am knowingly submitting to having my rights eroded in exchange for saving lives. If lives are not saved, then no deal.

(2) There is a systematic, well planned, and generally impossible for modern bureaucracy approach to getting rid of the illegal guns. I, as a good guy, am in good faith submitting to some restrictions; in return, you had GD well better hold up your end and get rid of the guns held illegally by people who take lives.
Fair arguments. However, with regards to #1, I would say, the sunset clause should apply for a period greater than just 5-10 years. In fact, perhaps a generation (20 years).

Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
No gun should be sold to ANYONE who hasn't passed a background check, period. To make sure this occurs gun sales should only be allowed from licensed gun dealers. No internet sales, no second hand sales, and no gun shows where no background check or waiting period happens.

That's the only sane thing to do and, yes, all of this is completely constitutional.
Yeah, I fail to see the difference between a brand new gun purchased from a dealer and a 5 year old gun purchased on Craig's list.

This is how it goes.

Seller-"The price is $250 and please show proof you have no criminal record.

Buyer-"How about $400?

Seller"sold"

Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,184,958 times
If I hear abouit how unlawful gun shows are one more time...I'm gonna smash this keyboard to pieces.

I vote you attend one for yourself to see how unlawful they are....that is if all the LEOs inside and undercover BATF don't kick your lying ass MFs!

Old 12-24-2012, 10:57 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,184,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Yeah, I fail to see the difference between a brand new gun purchased from a dealer and a 5 year old gun purchased on Craig's list.

This is how it goes.

Seller-"The price is $250 and please show proof you have no criminal record.

Buyer-"How about $400?

Seller"sold"
You must have missed firearms can't be sold on Craigs List.

Way to go spouting off about thing you have no f***ing clue over though.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
If I hear abouit how unlawful gun shows are one more time...I'm gonna smash this keyboard to pieces.
I suspect that the next time you hear about it, also might come from you.

Please proceed.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
itlltickleurinnerds nope i am not going to support anything but the law. There is plenty of law, and no enforcement. Stop creating more stupid laws that can not or will not be enforced.

There is NO paper LAW that is self enforcing.. I have never broken any law that would make ME a Prohibited Person.

There is no reason for me to take back ground check after back ground check for each gun I buy either, but I do because in NH that is the LAW.

I like face to face sales of guns to other state residents I KNOW sometimes, where there is no back ground check. I know these people, face to face and also create 2 bills of sale so I know where the gun went 30 years later.

Why i do that is because if the gun does get used in a crime I am not the last guy in line.

Since I don't make the rules I don't care what other sellers do.

Would you have links to crimes where FTF sales guns were used in crimes?

I know that answer....... NO you don't.

Once more I will remind you that you are the worst kind of gun owner. I hope that when your state begins confiscation you are one of the first victims to the Police State you built. That will serve you right.

What crimes have you personally committed, other than maybe you are a psyco and should have your guns removed???

Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Would you as a gun owner support closing the loop hole on face to face private sales and require all sales have back ground checks?
In principal, yes. However, there presently exists no mechanism to do so. Even if I decided I wanted to do a background check on a prospective purchaser of my privately owned firearm even though it's not required, I couldn't, since I'm not an FFL and do not have access to the system.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
List all the Mass Killings background checks would have stopped.
Did you know Mass has a book of nothing but gun laws 25,000 pages thick? That Judges can't even figure what it all means?

A mess of convoluted laws no one can interpret period. That makes as much sense as a mountain made of BS.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:02 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Rented Ryder trucks can be weapons of Mass Destruction as well.

Faked ID, here are your guns Mr. Criminal.

Keep your incrementalist destruction of my freedoms and rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies