Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,718,262 times

Advertisements

The reality is that a school district such as the one in which I worked, Anchorage School District, has 100+ schools. That means 100+ security officers. Let's just say $60K each. That's $6M.

I'm all for it, but there is a budget issue.

Now think of this in terms of districts that barely can keep up-to-date textbooks. From where will that $ come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 01:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,268,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So what you're both saying is that, as per usual, the Washington, D.C. elite deserve to have special privileges that are not only unavailable to the rest of us, but illegal for the rest of us as well. Do you not see the hypocrisy of our government passing laws that prohibit firearms at schools and then sending their children to a school that employs armed guards?

Quite frankly, I don't care how high profile their children are. The fact that they are surrounded by armed guards while schools across the nation are vulnerable to attack by nutjobs is outrageous. In a similar vein, who wants to bet that there will be special exemption for these security personnel if an "assault weapons" ban gets passed?
In most cases monetary resources for schools are controlled by LOCAL SCHOOL BOARDS. If local school boards want to make the financial commitment to increase the level of security in their schools it's up to the people IN THE LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT to provide those resources.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:22 PM

3,394 posts, read 3,428,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The Official Conservative Motto: "Whine About Meaningless BS While Ignoring Things That Actually Matter"

Just WHEN has Obama EVER stated people who can afford it shouldn't send their kids to private schools?
So the poor dont deserve the same protection as the rich when it comes to their kids safety! Ok i understand what you are saying! I dont agree with it but i understand your point!

Old 12-25-2012, 02:32 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,375,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
So the poor dont deserve the same protection as the rich when it comes to their kids safety! Ok i understand what you are saying! I dont agree with it but i understand your point!
You may as well have said that poor don't deserve the same level of protection as the rich who drive Mercedes with 24 airbags. If you can afford better you can pay better. Generally if it's free it may be good but usually not exceptional.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:36 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,268,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
The irony of your post is that most inner city schools have metal detectors and a security staff. In many cities the kids actually have BETTER security than in suburban schools.

The school districts in cities are WILLING to pay for that level of security.

Suburban school districts have the "That sort of thing doesn't happen here" attitude and don't even consider it.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,375,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The irony of your post is that most inner city schools have metal detectors and a security staff. In many cities the kids actually have BETTER security than in suburban schools.

The school districts in cities are WILLING to pay for that level of security.

Suburban school districts have the "That sort of thing doesn't happen here" attitude and don't even consider it.
Drop the mic, you just served this thread.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,464,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Get it right. It's the school with 11 armed guards. Not just his daughter. Sidwell Friends, school of the elite of D.C.- kids of senators, congressmen, CEO's, lobbyists and bascially the BSD's of D.C. It's generally a destination for these people because the school is used to having high profile kids there.

So your false outrage is disingenuous. You may as well be outraged that a steak knife is sharp.
In other words, kids who are more likely to be targeted by people with an agenda.
The parents of these kids pay about $34,000 per child for tuition which includes security.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,718,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
In most cases monetary resources for schools are controlled by LOCAL SCHOOL BOARDS. If local school boards want to make the financial commitment to increase the level of security in their schools it's up to the people IN THE LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT to provide those resources.
^^^^^^This!

Old 12-25-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

The Presidents daughters are no more important than any other girls in the country.
Like it or not, their parents are as it relates to national security.

The rare U.S. president with school age children enrolled them in private schools with superior security. This is not unique to Obama.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

Too bad the children of Newtown aren't the sons and daughters of the liberal elite. Perhaps then liberals would give a darn about them.
And the only way to demonstrate giving a darn is to mandate every teacher, in every school be armed with an AR-15?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies