Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:26 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times

Advertisements

We have much bigger issues in this country than gay people. In fact, I'm not sure why they are even an issue for this country. Get real. I'm more concerned about people not following the legal means of coming to the US and the pregnant teen than 2 gay guys nailing each other.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:38 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Oh, come on now, why don't you who hate us gay people just give it up. You moan and groan that there are threads about gay this and gay that. You yourselves create these threads, claiming to want honest opinions, but all you want is a venue to vent your unfounded hatred of us gay people. YOU do not care about any reason or proof we provide as to why we deserve fair and equal treatment by the federal government concerning fair and equal marriage rights and benefits. We have tried telling you why and you dismiss all as coming from biased people. Marriage is a committment between two people. Two people who care about each other, make a life together, own property together, the sex of the two people is not and should not matter. Having children is not a requirement for any of the rights or benefits, tradition is not required, fertility is not required. But telling you, the op and the rest is pointless, you refuse to see our side one iota.

All we want is the right to join together with a federal civil marriagee contract and partake of the federal rights and benefits afforded all couples in the US who choose to marry. No more rights, no less, just the rights we should be getting for being a tax paying US citizen of our free country, the land of the free, not the land of the straight.
Message from the OP: You're paranoid and delusional, or you don't read, if you think the OP is against gay marriage (no offense)

Last edited by Clintone; 12-25-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 12-25-2012, 03:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Who really cares about this issue? And why?

Gay people should have the right to get married, and be as miserable as everyone else. Have at it.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:28 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
We have ample proof that fatherlessness is a huge contributing factor in multple problems in society.
Which has what, precisely, to do with gay marriage?

Old 12-25-2012, 04:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Who really cares about this issue? And why?

Gay people should have the right to get married, and be as miserable as everyone else. Have at it.
I care about this issue.

I want loving same-sex couples who desire to be in a legally recognized marriage to realize their dreams and aspirations.

Civil marriage is a civil right in my view.

LGBT people deserve to be treated with dignity, respect, and afforded equality in this country.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:49 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Nothing. It's a red herring and a completely separate issue.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:52 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
We have ample proof that fatherlessness is a huge contributing factor in multple problems in society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Nothing. It's a red herring and a completely separate issue.
Arkansas had created a law during 2008, where only married couples could adopt children, which barred homosexual parents from adopting, due to them not being able to marry.

Evidently the Arkansas Supreme court struck it down:

The Arkansas Supreme Court today struck down a state law that barred unmarried gay and straight couples who “cohabit with a sexual partner” from adopting or serving as foster parents.
The law, approved by voters in a 2008 ballot initiative, violates constitutional privacy rights, the court held.
Arkansas Supreme Court Expands Gay Adoption Rights - Law Blog - WSJ

Arizona, in 2011, seems to have given priority in adoptions to married couples...they seemed to have switched back and forth on the legalization of gay marriage in the past:

In addition, Arizona still defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman. However, in 2006, Arizona was the first state that voted down a proposition that banned gay marriage. In all other cases, similar propositions have been passed in other states. In 2008, Arizona did pass Proposition 102, which stated that only a union between a man and a woman would be recognized in that state.
http://marriage.laws.com/gay/state-laws/arizona

The new law doesn't necessarily say homosexuals can't adopt kids -- but it states that Arizona would prefer that married couples be given higher consideration for adoptions than non-married people, if all other factors are equal.
http://www.towleroad.com/2011/04/ari...ys-in-ado.html

There may or may not be other examples.

Last edited by Clintone; 12-25-2012 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 09:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
I don't particularly care what the current state of sociology or psychology tells us is the 'best' parenting relationship because not all children will be raised in that ideal, if it even exists. Though I don't place common sense above true science [the earth does move and is not flat, contrary to common sense], common sense tells me that children who are wanted by their parents, regardless of gender, have a better chance of being brought up well.
Have to agree. I wanted to bring this up to illustrate. I have a friend who was brought up by a straight mother and gay father. She has a few siblings. They live in another town so I do not know how many but I think there are six kids in all. From the get-go both her mom and dad knew the score. They had a good relationship. The dad was a professor at a university the mom was, I think, a nurse. Their marriage lasted something like forty years until the dad passed away.

The kids as soon as they were old enough to understand the deal, understood the deal. My friend said it was no big deal. They always felt very loved and wanted and were happy. What the parents did or didn't do was done outside the perimeters of the kids' world.

Happy family? For sure. The kids all grew up well adjusted. All but my friend have families of their own. She liked the single life. They are very close knit.

Point is, a family is a family. And it's nobody's business but theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies