Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You hide behind Orwellian new speak. The trick of the left
LOL - "Orwellian new speak"? - You mean FACTS?

The FACT is, even with the smaller than expected INCREASE, this year is producing the MOST Holiday spending EVER - more than LAST YEAR, more than the YEAR BEFORE, more than any year under Bush, under Clinton, under Reagan, under ANY President ever. It WAS a smaller than expected increase, but it was still an INCREASE (and the holiday season is NOT over YET). Is the SIZE of the increase disappointing? Of course - as I said, lots of uncertainty right now - but it's STILL an increase (which is a FAR CRY from the "economy crashing").

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Who didn't know that?

The msm tried their best to show a booming retail season.

To quote Chris Matthews.....Matthews: My Job Is To Make Obama Presidency a Success | NewsBusters.org

Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
the economy is crashing and the dems ignore it
Oh really!

Durable-goods orders jump in November

Quote:
December 21, 2012

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — Orders for long-lasting goods jumped in November, in data suggesting a surprisingly strong and broad increase in corporate spending, according to a report released Friday.

The Commerce Department said durable-goods orders increased 0.7% in November, and importantly, upwardly revised October’s reading to growth of 1.1% from a previously estimated 0.5% advance.

Economists polled by MarketWatch had forecast just a 0.1% advance for November.

“For the second straight month, transportation orders were a drag but the five other major durable sectors – primary metals, fabricated metals, machinery, tech, electrical equipment – all posted gains,” said Jonathan Basile, director of economics at Credit Suisse.

For all the hand-wringing about the fiscal cliff as well as recent turmoil in Europe and China, the statistics — in this report at least — suggest that companies did not exhibit restraint.
New Home Sales Report Continues Run of Positive Housing Data

Quote:
Commerce Department report on New Home Sales for September suggests housing market recovery.

The first economic report to be released on Wednesday was the October Flash U.S. Purchasing Managers’ Index from Markit Economics. This is a relatively new report from Markit, which should not
confused with the monthly PMI report from the Institute for Supply Management. Economists were expecting the October PMI to remain at 51.5 (above 50 indicates expansion). Although the report set the figure at 51.3, the “flash” report is, by its nature, preliminary. As a result, we may find that the final figure does indeed remain at 51.5, since the Federal Reserve’s Industrial Production report for September indicated an increase of 0.2 percent

From the report:

The Markit Flash U.S. Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index™ (PMI™) signalled only a modest improvement in U.S. manufacturing business conditions in October. At 51.3, the preliminary ‘flash’ PMI reading which is based on around 85% of usual monthly replies, was only marginally higher than the three-year low of 51.1 recorded in September.

The Commerce Department’s Census Bureau released an upbeat report on New Home Sales for September. The fact that this report suggests a recovery in the residential real estate market is supported by last week’s positive report on new home construction – or “initial housing starts”. Economists had been expecting an increase in new home sales to a seasonally-adjusted annual rate (SAAR) of 385,000. The report indicated a SAAR of 389,000.
Consumer Confidence and Spending Are Rising, Economic Reports Show

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — A flurry of reports on Thursday showed that American consumers were growing more confident and spending more, strengthening a still-weak economy just five days before the presidential election.

Consumer confidence surged in October to its highest level in nearly five years. Americans were encouraged by recent declines in the unemployment rate. And they responded by spending more on cars and trucks, at retail businesses and on goods produced in the nation’s factories.

Still, businesses remain nervous about where the economy is headed and that could affect hiring. The October jobs report, to be released Friday, is expected to show another month of tepid job growth. Hurricane Sandy could also slow economic growth slightly in the final months of 2012.

On Thursday the stock market welcomed the signs of improved economic health. The Dow Jones industrial average closed up 136.16 points, or 1.04 percent, at 13232.62, and broader indexes also increased.

“U.S. economic data are at least all moving in the right direction,” Robert Kavcic, an economist at BMO Capital Markets, said in a note to clients.[/b]
I realize that conservatives live in an alternate reality where the world is going to end because Barack Obama is President of the United States.

But things are looking up for people that live in the real world.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
i disagree i brought it up . But over the years you have used personal attacks so back to ignore
Awwww...an attack....

Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No, you just apparently fail at reading comprehension.

Even failing to comprehend Orwell's 1984. Which is assigned to 6th graders.
lets see here you claim that the smallest increase sine the last recession is a sign things are getting better.
There have been many years since 2008 .If things were getting better than spending would be up at much higher levels. If things are getting better why such a small increase .
Very Orwellian

Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
All I caught from that was retail spending increased 0.7% and that's somehow a bad thing.
If you are a conservative it's impossible for there to be ANY positive economic progress while Barack Obama is President of the United States.

It just doesn't fit the ideology, facts be damned!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:01 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, read the post I replied to and see a partisan comment in every sentence. It is what it is bubba.

And you continue here

And here

See what I mean?

So, you are for tax hikes.

I think there are other ways, but maybe that's just me.
Refusing to recognize what is apparent is not political partisanship. But, whatever floats your boat.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Weakest retail since 2008?

I don't know...over two weeks ago I went to a mall just to pick up dog food and could not find a place to park! Literally! I had to leave and hope the dog food would last until after Christmas.

All the stores and malls where I live have been jammed since Thanksgiving. I doubt people were going and fighting traffic and waiting for a parking place just to 'look'.

Then again, I'm in a blue state...

Old 12-26-2012, 08:03 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
lets see here you claim that the smallest increase sine the last recession is a sign things are getting better.
There have been many years since 2008 .If things were getting better than spending would be up at much higher levels. If things are getting better why such a small increase .
Very Orwellian
Unless all years are a tie, if there are ANY years with an increase, there ALWAYS has to be a year that's the SMALLEST INCREASE, just as there ALWAYS has to be a year that's the LARGEST increase (if only one year increased they could even be the same year). That's the way MATH WORKS. If you have more than one year of INCREASE (and we have 3 OF THEM in the last 4 years) at least one has to be the BIGGEST INCREASE (and we actually have 2 that are tied for that position) and at least one has to be the SMALLEST INCREASE. That's the way MATH and LOGIC work. This year is the smallest of the increases - so what? It's STILL an INCREASE - and more Holiday spending than ANY year in history.

Ken

Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Refusing to recognize what is apparent is not political partisanship.
You just said you are refusing to recognize what is apparent. Well, at least you are honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies