Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times

Advertisements

How exactly is an unarmed ex-Marine wearing the functional equivalent of a Halloween costume going to increase safety?

IMO, this is just another immature man-child trying to realize his 15 minutes of fame by exploiting a tragedy and the right wing/Fox News fetish for all things guns and military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Fear of retribution is exactly what keeps people safe across the world. Without laws and a system of punishment, the human beast would become the most savage beast again. Look back through history, focusing on societal breakdowns after wars and disasters, and you will quickly realize that our enforced societal rules are the only thing that keeps civilization from falling back into a survival of the fittest mode.

Plain and simply, if we did not have a police force and a set of laws for them to enforce, your chances of walking to the corner market and making it back home safely would rapidly diminish.

If you truly believe that firearms are not a part of the overall deterrent to criminals, then you should be starting a movement to have all police forces across the United States disarmed. After all, the vast majority of Americans are not violent criminals, and disarming the police force will prove that we don't need guns to protect ourselves or our families.

Now, onto a more personal note. I've worked in areas of both Jacksonville, FL and St. Louis, MO that the police literally do not regularly patrol. The only time they show up in those areas is in response to emergency calls. Trust me, it isn't because there is no crime there. I've seen people breaking into houses and cars in broad daylight in some of these areas. My firearm has come in quite handy a few times, although to date I've never had to actually fire it at a person. It has, however, proven to be a deterrent when I demonstrated that I was willing to do so. Please, feel free to tell me once again that fear of retribution isn't what keeps us safe.

There is no way a police force could stop 310million would be criminals who are only held back by the thought of getting caught.

Do you know how many crimes a criminal actually committs before they get caught? If the only thing standing between most people and criminal behavior was the threat of a jail sentence we'd have a hellish society.

No what keeps us safe is that most people are not criminals, and don't want to be criminals. This has been true for ALL of human history. If the only relationships human beings were able to form were exploitive and violent, then human beings wouldn't form societies.

Sure having a police is important and so are laws, but the idea that what's keeping my next door neighbor from robbing me and rapping my wife is fear of retribution is a ridiculous thought.

Do better, your analysis of human behavior is very, very off by a mile.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I agree with you. That's why nothing will happen.

Police aren't liable. Everyone else is.

You've identified another block in the tower of why nothing will change.

I'm sorry and only wish it weren't so!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The accusation is not that, but relentless fighting towards what promote their cause. Was Nancy Lanza a responsible gun owner? Or, a coward?
You tell me was she! who will determine who is and isn't. I know what i think, but who the hell am i.

What do you feel is the just that promotes their cause.

I am interesting in hearing, just what determines what promotes this cause. Absouletly many contributing factors.

Yes there are many people who i feel should not own a gun.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
There is no way a police force could stop 310million would be criminals who are only held back by the thought of getting caught.

Do you know how many crimes a criminal actually committs before they get caught? If the only thing standing between most people and criminal behavior was the threat of a jail sentence we'd have a hellish society.

No what keeps us safe is that most people are not criminals, and don't want to be criminals. This has been true for ALL of human history. If the only relationships human beings were able to form were exploitive and violent, then human beings wouldn't form societies.

Sure having a police is important and so are laws, but the idea that what's keeping my next door neighbor from robbing me and rapping my wife is fear of retribution is a ridiculous thought.

Do better, your analysis of human behavior is very, very off by a mile.
History disagrees with you, as do most people who have studied history.

At no point did I claim that all people are criminals. My point is that without laws and especially without someone to enforce those laws, the criminals would be much more dangerous than they currently are. Seriously, all you need to do is read a history book. The history of the human race has been a history of coercion by force.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:15 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The man did no such thing. He very likely signed up for the same reasons most do; couldn't find a job, liked the thought of adventure, liked the team concept, needed someone to tell him when to brush his teeth and last but not least, knew he needed some discipline to get himself focused.

Blank check my azz! No one signs up abrogating their belief in the right and desire to live. That's just the bullcrap some ex-military use to give themselves some cachet and garner adulation.

Some still living veterans signed up during the world wars for cry'n out loud and didn't intend for their service to comprise a blank cheque for anything and wouldn't think of using that bullcrap to pull some respect out of thin air.

The man's a poser who claims his kiddies are afraid to go to school. You really think he's the only parent who would do that if their kiddies were actualy expressing fear in any quantitative amounts? He's fabricated a supposed fear to allow himself to pose on the front steps and get a few handshakes.
Thank you for showing us your true colors.

I was working as an auto mechanic, race car mechanic, I had an nhra/ahra ticket, and baby grand, nascar tkt. I didn't NEED to join when I did, but I joined, as an engineman, and was assigned to a diesel electric submarine. I signed up because I felt a need to give something to our great country. Who are you to say this Marine didn't do the same.

As for a blank check, whether you desire your service to comprise a blank check for your life, it is what is is, by the very nature of being in the armed forces.

If his kids are afraid of going to school, and his being out there makes a difference for his kids, that's what being a parent means. In fact that's what being a grown up means. it means you do the right thing, and you do what's necessary to raise your children the best way possible. If they need dad to dress up and stand there, and he does that for them, more power to him.

Your attempt as well as others, to denigrate this man doing the right thing, first for his country, whatever the reason, and for his kids, is asinine.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
What? no gun, no 2 way radio, no pepper spray, no baton, just himself. He must be a lean mean killing machine all by his lonesome. Perfect target for someone else who might have a bushmaster.
how dumb.
Of course not, thanks to people like you it would be illegal for him to have more. Why should he need more than that? According to you liberal nuts no one needs a gun to defend themselves or others.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times
So he did it not because he genuinely thought that standing around in uniform would actually stop a crazed gunman, but to ease his kid's mind about going to school? Good on him. Kids should never be afraid of going to school, even in the face of sporadic danger. At least he's showing that he cares, and that alone counts for a lot.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Another idiot FORMER marine in a uniform means nothing.
So he's dressed up impersonating a marine.

He's a civilian, he is not a SGT, perhaps he WAS, but he IS not.
What the fawk is wrong with you Cha-Cha-Cha?

He's an E-6........

You don't know d*** about Marines.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...77/USMC-E6.svg

Keep up the good work Mac!

Semper Fi~

Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You are never a FORMER marine, once a Marine, ALWAYS a marine.

Why do you wish to denigrate him? Why call him an idiot? The man wrote a blank check to the Unites States of America offering his life to defend our country. You can at least respect that, whether or not you agree with it.
Can the entitlement rhetoric.
He took a job and got paid for it.
He is no longer in the service, he has no clout except in his own head.

He's just a clown wearing a costume; the same as I would be for wearing my old uniform.
The military is not special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies