Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,122,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If we use it all in the next 40 years it will not be longed lived. Why not use it consevatively so it will be around for many future generations, not just ours???
Again...The US Is Sitting On A 200-Year Supply Of Oil..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
No I Luv the planet...I just don't subscribe to environmentalist fanatics/lunatics propaganda to drive energy prices upward to cause unnecessary hardship on the middle class and poor!!

The U.S. being forced to devote its military to preserving access to oil in the Middle East is because of a reliance on oil. Energy prices can be halved if your average household can rely on renewable energy.

Renewable energy is democratic. The sun shines for everyone. That is why big oil is blocking it with its enormous lobby efforts. In areas of the U.S. a private company can now install rooftop solar power with no money down and charge the customer less money per month to pay for it than the old electricity bill. These services could eventually create a utility that largely bypasses old power companies, just as cell phones have bypassed landline phone companies.

Mr XXX, would you rather rely on an energy source that pollutes the planet or a clean source of energy that is ultimately nearly free for you and your family?

Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Even Mr. XXX's source is ridiculous! The Cato Institute is a well-known, right wing, politically conservative think tank pushing an obvious pro-coal/oil agenda. Can you say KOCH BROTHERS?

HAHAHAH!
And your obviously a paid Al Gore shill!!!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times
Quote:
And your obviously a paid Al Gore shill!!!
Where are all these jobs where you are paid to post on the internet? I'd like me a job like that !

And you didn't answer my question Mr. XXX.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,714 times
If we discovered photovoltaic cells or high-efficiency wind-turbines then as well, you could make the same argument.

Fossil Fuels didn't save us--the Industrial Revolution did.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Where are all these jobs where you are paid to post on the internet? I'd like me a job like that !
I wish i knew!!!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,910 times
Quote:
Again...The US Is Sitting On A 200-Year Supply Of Oil..
200 year supply for one country. Do you know how many countries there are in the world?

Do you really think oil companies are not going to sell oil to other countries???

You love oil so much that you are in a hurry to deplete it. That's like a rich guy saying I love money so much I'm gong to spend it all so I have nothing left. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
No matter how much you love fossil fuels, they are a limited resource,
That's true if we consider the world as a whole, not so if consider just the US and it's needs into the future.

Quote:
and eventually, due to market forces and innovation, the world will rely on them less and less.
Agree but as yet we have nothing that even remotely competitive with fossil fuels.

Quote:
Already countries like Germany, Norway and even China have reduced their reliance on fossil fuels immensely.
Germany has one the highest electric rates in the Western world and recently announced they will be building many new coal plants. I believe their electric rates are second only to Denmark who coincidentally has the highest percentage of electric production from wind mills and is also the largest manufacturer of them.

As far as China goes they are also putting up a new coal plant every week or two, within the last decade alone their coal consumption has increased the total amount we burn in year. They are currently using about 5 biiilion tons per year compared to the 1 billion tons we consume. At their current rate of consumption they will have no coal left in 3 decades or so. They really have no choice in the matter where renewables are concerned, this is the case with many nations. They have limited or no domestic resources of their own

Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
In areas of the U.S. a private company can now install rooftop solar power with no money down and charge the customer less money per month to pay for it than the old electricity bill.
This is all based on subsidies and mandates, it varies by state but in general the owner of the panels is getting about a 50% tax credit for their initial cost 30% from the feds and 20% from the state. They sell the electric to the building owner for small profit or perhaps even at cost BUT they generate what is called a green credit. That green credit is sold to power distributors under mandate from the state to provide X amount of electric from renewble resources.

The average consumer is not only paying tax dollars to support the subsidy but is also paying increased rates in their electric bill to support the mandates.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Do you really think oil companies are not going to sell oil to other countries???
As much as I support the coal industry we need to begin to consider big tariffs on any natural resource leaving this country. Export of coal is on the rise dramatically, Countries like China are more than willing to burn it if we're going to regulate it out of existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies