Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 AM

362 posts, read 559,923 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one concerned that any journalist would spout, in this great country whose foundation is "freedom of speech, religion, and press", that another journalistic venue needs censorship?

That a proclaimed "liberal" is in favor of silencing others (of course, for the good of this great country) is a hypocritical road that should not be taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
Am I the only one concerned that any journalist would spout, in this great country whose foundation is "freedom of speech, religion, and press", that another journalistic venue needs censorship?

That a proclaimed "liberal" is in favor of silencing others (of course, for the good of this great country) is a hypocritical road that should not be taken.
Criticism is not censorship

Old 12-26-2012, 11:59 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and of course you do realize more people watch FOX than any other cable network don't you? In fact not just a majority but a huge one. So, I guess that means those who watch are clueless and the handful that do not watch FOX are the only ones that know what is happening...
No, it just means there are more idiots that spends their days (and nights) in front of the boob tube.

No surprise there - people with more education and who have careers tend to not spend as much time watching t.v. as do the "angry white guy (woman)" crowds, who probably only get out of their recliners long enough to cash their Social Security checks and to yell at the neighbor kids to "get off my lawn!"

Old 12-26-2012, 12:03 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:

Um, again... Koppel is NOT a liberal!

Secondly, who said anything about censorship??? Straw man much?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and of course you do realize more people watch FOX than any other cable network don't you? In fact not just a majority but a huge one. So, I guess that means those who watch are clueless and the handful that do not watch FOX are the only ones that know what is happening...

Good lord. Not another one.

You do realize that CABLE NEWS is only a FRACTION of the news watching public? Or are you too one who believes the "Fox News is #1" hype?

On an average night 20 million will watch national NON-CABLE network news shows: ABC, NBC, CBS.

Fox News averages 2 million, and is known for being THE conservative news channel.

The "Liberal Media" options are more diverse, with just as many or more viewers splitting their time among the remaining options: MSNBC, CNN, HLN

Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM

362 posts, read 559,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Criticism is not censorship
Really? So the intent of criticism is not to bring about change to the behavior being criticized?
My mistake.

Mine was more of a rhetorical question anyway. Maybe I overthink things, but I always was taught tolerance of differing opinions. It is good to be able to see both sides of the argument, and for right now, FOX News seems to be the only one giving insight on the conservative viewpoint.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:18 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Really? So the intent of criticism is not to bring about change to the behavior being criticized?
My mistake.
Um. Again. That's criticism. CENSORSHIP is to call to BAN Fox News, which he did not say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727
Mine was more of a rhetorical question anyway. Maybe I overthink things, but I always was taught tolerance of differing opinions. It is good to be able to see both sides of the argument, and for right now, FOX News seems to be the only one giving insight on the conservative viewpoint.

It serves its purpose well.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
My mistake.

No, criticism is criticism, nothing more, nothing less. Do you think film critics expect actors or directors to take their advice and change? Do music critics expect bands to change and make a different music?

If you really expect people to change because of your criticism you will be sorely dissapointed.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
No, criticism is criticism, nothing more, nothing less. Do you think film critics expect actors or directors to take their advice and change? Do music critics expect bands to change and make a different music?

If you really expect people to change because of your criticism you will be sorely dissapointed.
FLgirl's argument is actally sillier than that. Using your analogy, FLgirl is arguing that film critics are not just asking actors/directors to change, she's saying critics are out to stop actors from acting!

Criticism does not equal censorship.

Calling Fox News an ideological "business" out to get ratings and not a real news channel does not mean they are being censored. Koppel is just pointing out they should be more honest about their dishonesty.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
FLgirl's argument is actally sillier than that. Using your example, FLgirl is arguing that film critics are not just asking actors/directors to change, she's saying critics are out to stop actors from acting!

Criticism does not equal censorship.

Calling Fox News an ideological "business" out to get ratings and not a real news channel does not mean they are being censored. Koppel is just pointing out they should be more honest about their dishonesty.
Fox news is just out to make a profit and their brand is very conservative news. I don't expect them to change but I would like a little honesty.

That's like McDonald's marketing their Big Mac as a healthy snack. Everyone knows it's not, so it's sort of silly to pretend it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies