Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM

45 posts, read 66,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Don't think much about you all although I'm interested in learning more about the minority of Black Canadians the descendants of runaway and free Black Americans.

I understand there is a significant community of Blacks in Nova Scotia. I would like to learn more about them.
A Quick History of Black People in Canada - Articles - Ontario Black History Society

<title>Black History In Canada

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Canadians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM

613 posts, read 815,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
My Canadian friends...maybe you can help me understand something. What's up with the Zed thing?
That's easy, it's the correct pronunciation of the letter Z.

Glad I could help.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchy View Post
I'm a Black Canadian. Most of us are either from Africa, Caribbean, Europe, and some are from America. Also, we make up a small percentage of the population in Canada. So we don't make as much of a impact on society or our media as a group. Many people believe Black Canadians don't act like Black Americans. I mean can you tell the difference? Other ethnic people can add their opinions as well.
Did Thunder Bay used to be two different cities, or was it always one city?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
The thing is that many Canadians DO NOT identify themselves racially at all. I find that to be especially true of the latest generation, those 20 or younger. I have two grandsons who are half Jamacian black and half northern European very white. My daughter is blond, blue eyed and very fair. Anyway, her sons do not identify themselves in any racial manner at all. They consider themselves to be 100% pure Canadian. I see this as being the way we are going in the future. As our country becomes more and more diverse and the kids from all these different cultures marry people from different cultures racial identification will be nil after 2 or three generations of mixes this represents.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I'm a black American and I don't think anything about black Canadians just like I don't think anything about black Mexicans, black Germans, black French, etc. I know there are black people in practically all countries of this earth and I don't think anything in particular about them just like I don't think anything in particular about black Americans. There are a lot of us and I don't generalize people based on skin color.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Black Americans don't think about Black Canadians. I'm sure Black Canadians don't think about Black Americans either.

And there you have it.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Did Thunder Bay used to be two different cities, or was it always one city?
2 cities - Fort William and Port Arthur. They merged on January 1, 1970 to become Thunder Bay.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Read the thread and it is pretty hilarious in a lot of places.

Quote:
I know for a fact that black Americans get stereotype of how should a black person act in America thanks to the media and other things of that nature. However not all blacks from America act this way because they probably grow up in a environment where acting ghetto is frowned upon.
This was funny, kind of hard to understand, but the gist I got is that black Americans are stereotyped. This is try but it is funny you think some don't act like this because it is "frowned upon." lol you must be one of those people who believes everything you see on TV.

Quote:
Like I said, black Canadians make up a small percentage of the population in Canada. Most of the crime, drugs, and out of wedlock children occurs in small black communities in the large cities. Young black canadians try to pretend to be Americans?

Not true, we might be similar but we have different mentality than the black Americans does.
This was interesting. What is the mentality of black Americans? You are reminding me of ignorant people here thinking that all of us black Americans are the same and are only the same in regards to negative stereotypical portrayals shown to you via entertainment outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
The US, is pretty much the only 1st world country where Blacks born there, often, talk Ebonic and different from whites (he be, I gots mine, etc). Other 1st world countries, including England and Canada, don't have this.
Part of what you speak of as Ebonics the "he be" and other aspects of what is known as the Black Vernacular are tenants of specific west African languages where the formation of phrases, especially "he/she/they be" are phrased the way the African would have said that phrase when they were learning English. BV is a pidgin language with specific formations of words/phrases that relate to ancestry. The "he be" said above is one sample. Another is "finna" used instead of "about to." there are other examples. You should learn about the BV and its history before denigrating it. Some areas of our country have a more foreign sounding BV like parts of GA and SC where the geechee/gullah culture is practiced. Also FWIW Creole is a pidgin language as well - a combo of African dialects and French. Many black Canadians who have African or Carribbean ancestry more than likely have their own pidgin languages that include English and other dialects. Pidgin is common in many African countries. FWIW I used to work with a lot of guys from Ghana and they had a pidgin language. After working there a year, I actually started understanding their conversations because their pidgin wasn't all that much different from English and BV both of which I understand. My coworkers were surprised I could understand and joked about them now having to watch what they said since I'd cracked their code lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Of course not - but very few can't "sound black" at all. Several of my university-educated professional friends easily pass the "phone test" most of the time, but slip into the classic black southern American speech patterns when they're around older family members. There also seems to be a gender difference; upper-middle class black women seem to more easily drop the black southern speech markers more readily than equivalent men.
This was pretty funny to. I am not from the south so how would I drop a southern speech marker lol. Also what is wrong with sounding "black." I am a middle class black woman and I do have a specific phone voice at work where I speak in a more professional manner but usually I speak in a relaxed manner and fwiw I don't think the BV is a horrible thing like maybe what you think. I am happy to still have something left from my African ancestors since so little is known about them. The BV IMO is something to be cherished and even though I can speak and write standard American English, I don't see it as a necessity to speak "proper" all the time. And if you have professor friends I would bet they don't either since quite a few black people know the history of the BV and are not ashamed of their ancestry like many seem to think we should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; "Ebonics" pretty much low class Scots-Irish English. Why so many Black people wanna sound like PWT don't make sense to me. I'm "PWT" around the edges and I'm actually white.
Please see above the BV is not the same as PWT talk though Scots-Irish also have pidgin dialects from their home country, especially in some Appalachian areas.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 12-27-2012 at 11:07 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 03:54 AM

45 posts, read 66,170 times
I don't believe everything I see on tv. But to a certain extent, some of the stereotypes about some black Americans on mainstream media are true most of the time and I witnessed it myself when I go to different cities even though I never live in a majority black neighbourhood and I grew up surrounded by different cultures. What is the mentality of black Americans? It depends on the individual, some act ghetto, loud, hood and unfriendly than other black Americans. I'm just being honest

Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
For the record, I am Black American. The first Black Canadian I met was in my college years. To this day, we are still friends. I got along with her very well, and in some ways, it was nice to meet someone like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies