Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The idea that criminals obtain most of their guns by stealing is a myth. According to the ATF the sources for illegal guns are:

46 % straw purchases
21 % unlicensed sellers
14 % gun shows and flea markets

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns....-purchases.pdf

have any other site that is alot less biased? also stats coming out of the batf (f-troop) is also considered suspect. they are the ones that got caught lying in court to bolster their case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
almost all of my firearms have no form 4473 attached to them, and there is no way I would go for any national registration of my firearms.

better to limit the government in their use of firearms than to limit the private citizens ability to self defense, no matter who they are defending against.
How is registering your firearm going to limit your ability to use it?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
have any other site that is alot less biased? also stats coming out of the batf (f-troop) is also considered suspect. they are the ones that got caught lying in court to bolster their case.
According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -

- a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
- a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
- family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%

But that 80 % figure doesn't really tell you much. The question remains: how do guns into the hands of family, friends, or the street? And that is what the ATF study answered: primarily straw purchases (often a girlfriend or relative of the actual buyer, or a drug addict who needed money), crooked dealers, and gun shows.

Firearms and Crime Statistics

Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM

1,137 posts, read 971,847 times
Quote:
How does the government knowing what guns I own and where they are located prevent any mass shooting incident?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -

But that 80 % figure doesn't really tell you much. The question remains: how do guns into the hands of family, friends, or the street? And that is what the ATF study answered: primarily straw purchases (often a girlfriend or relative of the actual buyer, or a drug addict who needed money), crooked dealers, and gun shows.

I see you conveniently forgot to mention "Operation Fast and Furious."

Assume your numbers are right, why don't you focus on stopping that? Make straw purchase illegal, oh, sorry, it's already illegal.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
How is registration going to limit someone's ability to commit mass murder?

Hell, if someone is going to shoot up a school, why in the world he would care about your silly registration???

Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 AM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:

Looks like your stats blow out your earlier statements about gun shows.

You talk about straw purchases, which are a problem. Having said that I've been in gun shops where a clerk/owner/salesman has turned down a purchaser. Which is the right of any legitimate seller.

Oh, so much for "protecting" firearms for hunters. A local Delegate , C.T. Wilson (D-Charles), is co-sponsoring a measure to outlaw so-called assault weapons in MD (they are already highly restricted) while introducing his own law to outlaw most hunting guns. His quote is "If it isn't bolt action then it's an assault weapon".

Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Looks like your stats blow out your earlier statements about gun shows.

You talk about straw purchases, which are a problem. Having said that I've been in gun shops where a clerk/owner/salesman has turned down a purchaser. Which is the right of any legitimate seller.

Oh, so much for "protecting" firearms for hunters. A local Delegate , C.T. Wilson (D-Charles), is co-sponsoring a measure to outlaw so-called assault weapons in MD (they are already highly restricted) while introducing his own law to outlaw most hunting guns. His quote is "If it isn't bolt action then it's an assault weapon".
I thought Wayne Lapierre made a good point about this on Meet the Press. If a criminal decides to buy a gun and fails the background check..... what happens to them? Absolutely nothing, thats what. We need to start prosecuting felons who attempt to buy guns.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I thought Wayne Lapierre made a good point about this on Meet the Press. If a criminal decides to buy a gun and fails the background check..... what happens to them? Absolutely nothing, thats what. We need to start prosecuting felons who attempt to buy guns.
I'm not talking just coming back dirty on the 4473 but also flat out refuse to sell a gun before even getting to the paperwork.

As in:
Customer: I'll take that one.
Clerk: I'm not going to sell you a gun.
Customer What?
Clerk: You make me feel that it's not for you and it's a straw purchase.
Customer: What? You stupid mother****er, you'll hear from my lawyer.
Clerk: Ok.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:01 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm not talking just coming back dirty on the 4473 but also flat out refuse to sell a gun before even getting to the paperwork.

As in:
Customer: I'll take that one.
Clerk: I'm not going to sell you a gun.
Customer What?
Clerk: You make me feel that it's not for you and it's a straw purchase.
Customer: What? You stupid mother****er, you'll hear from my lawyer.
Clerk: Ok.

I've seen dealers turn people down on a bad feeling to. Just after this latest shooting, some guy called one of my local FFL's and said "I want the same gun that guy used to kill all those kids".......

They hung up on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies