Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 PM

701 posts, read 1,030,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Let me start off by saying that I am definately pro gun, an NRA member { proudly } and strongly believe in a law abiding citizens right to keep and bear arms.What I came up with would be considered far too radical in most pro gun circles, but I would be fine with it along with a fair amount of other gun owners I think. I also want it to be clear that the recent shooting in Newtown are not what prompted me to consider what types of reform would be acceptable, I have had these views for some time now.

1.} Create a National Firearms Registry that would link the serial # of all guns to their lawful purchasers identity.

2.} Regulate the "secondary market" of firearms sales and purchases by requiring that ALL gun sales have a mandatory background check performed by a licensed Federal Firearms dealer, along with a transfer of ownership in the national registry. So basically, if someone wants to sell someone else a gun, they would both have to go to a licensed FFL where a background check on the purchaser can be performed, and a transfer of ownership form can be filed so that the newly created national firearms registry can be updated to show that that specific firearm now has a new owner, releasing the previous owner from any and all responsibility for it.

What this would help with is the illegal gun trafficking that goes on in this country. It would also make the lawful purchaser of any firearm more accountable to where the gun ends up after the initial purchase, all the while helping to prevent criminals from obtaining guns through private transactions.

3.}Define what mental issues should diaqualify someone from purchasing a firearm. From there, make it so that someones mental health status pops up during the background check

4.} Limiting the amount of ammo a magazine can hold, mandating all but one firearm be in a locked safe, preventing people who have the mentaly ill living with them from purchasing a firearm or providing more strict restrictions for those individuals, etc. are all possible concessions.

5.} Make gun laws across the country more uniformed. Too often guns found to be illegaly posessed in one area or state were actually legally purchased in another state.l

6.}Pass a national Right-to-carry law at the federal level which would pre-empt all state laws that aren't as stringent. The details of training and the amount of training required could all be worked out by assembling a team of experts on the subject. Allow private property owners and businesses an "opt-out" option.

Elven with all this, it is very important to remember that such tragedies as Newtown would not be totlaly prevented. Even just the type of gun violence we hear about on the news would not be totally prevented. I believe though, that if the above were implemented in to law, it would not unreasonably burden lawful gun owners but benefit them, while at the same time, help tremendously to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals, the mentally ill, or just people who should otherwise not have them.

So there you have it, my proposal for "common sense" reform.
Seems like a good start to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:28 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,183,030 times
What about duty weapons?

I own one from the FBI and two from local PDs.

One is my own Department.

What then gun grabbers?

I'm sure FBI would love to have their gun back, but it ain't happening in this lifetime.

It took me over 1 year to get it. lol

I bought the two local PD guns straight from the Department.

I wonder if I'm ok to have them? LMAO

Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The problem you anti-gunners have is this..............

One of the reasons some 2A advocates are so unwilling to even cosider a compromise is because..... ok, lets say for instance you get your assault weapons ban and making a limit to the number of bullets a magazine can hold. Ok, that is now law. So what happens when some nut job takes a gun, not an assault weapon but a tradtional style gun, loas up a bunch of ten round clips, goes into a school and starts shooting? What then? Will you again expect us to sit down and make another compromise and if so, what would it be? Limiting to five rounds a mag? Banning all semi-auto's? Ok, play the scenerio out again.

When would it end? Would there ever be a point where we all agreed that no more ligislation should be considered? Before you know it, we will have completely compromised our second amendment rights away. It's a legit concern and one that you all should adress.
This is a complete nonsense argument.

It's like saying, "as soon as you start legislating speed limits, it'll just get lower and lower till pretty soon you won't be able to leave the driveway."

Pure garbage argument.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM

215 posts, read 181,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
This is a complete nonsense argument.

It's like saying, "as soon as you start legislating speed limits, it'll just get lower and lower till pretty soon you won't be able to leave the driveway."

Pure garbage argument.
No, it's not. The worst shooting in American history was carried out on the Virginia Tech campus by Cho with...you guessed it, handguns.

And furthermore you need to look at the Hungerford shooting in England and what that entailed. Handgun use is no longer legal in the U.K.

If ever there was a slippery slope...

Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,525,305 times
!@#$@, why those stupid ideas to limit law abiding citizens?

How about this? Let's do the Saudi style and I guarantee we have a significant drop of illegal gun use.

For anybody, who commits a felony with a firearm including stealing a gun, shall lose his/her hand. Second time, the second hand goes.

You, who propose this so called "common sense" idea, really have no guts standing up to the criminals so you just bully the law abiding citizens.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,260,493 times
since most semi automatic weapons made since 1911 can be easily fitted with an oversize clip which will recatagorize them to "assault weapon" the issue is not m16 and mk47's at all.
is not about guns its about clips.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,183,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
No, it's not. The worst shooting in American history was carried out on the Virginia Tech campus by Cho with...you guessed it, handguns.

And furthermore you need to look at the Hungerford shooting in England and what that entailed. Handgun use is no longer legal in the U.K.

GB/England sucks....didn't we kick their ass once already>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 PM

13,584 posts, read 21,358,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Seems like a good start to me.
A very telling statement "a good start". See that's why we won't negotiate because to you it just a start with no telling to where the end would be satisfactory.

Just like I said, to anti's compromise means us giving and them taking.....no thanks

Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,434,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
GB/England sucks....didn't we kick their ass once already>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
And, tough guy, if using the same benchmark you like to throw around, didn't one of their colonies kick your ass?

You do know that is your second White House?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post

Just because a slippery slope can exist (and it always can, with any law), doesn't mean it will exist.

The slippery slope argument is garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies