Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
. Peanut butter is a great high protein food as well. Recipes for cooking good healthy meals could be given to recipients. A nice cheese omelet goes a long way. Beans are an excellent food. Many of us grew up on these basics, why isn't it good enough for these government handouts.
They DO have such programs (teaching food stamp recipients about nutrition, providing recipes, etc.) or at least they did here in NJ. Another thing I always wonder about is why don't the food-stamp recipients pool their resources and buy in bulk. That would save a lot of money and stretch their dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I have a much better solution to the Food Stamp symptom.

1. Kick out all non-essential immigrants.

2. Having created the conditions required for full employment, then scrap Welfare entirely.

3. Abolish all tax-breaks for the rich and increase the rates of the higher bands.

4. With the income generated from part 3, then nationalise certain key farms to produce low cost food for the people in need.

how about this?
Don't forget that part of the purpose of the Food Stamp program is to give farmers a market for their products. Those midwestern grain farmers would be up in arms if Food Stamps were eliminated.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 AM

370 posts, read 440,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
And how is that going to work? We had a family at my church in Orange County. Dad made $100K, lost job - went through severance, savings, unemployment and 2 years on was working at a $10 hr job. He had shared custody of 3 teenage boys and had to pay support to his ex-wife. If it wasn't for EBT, they wouldn't have had enough food on the table.

There is no possible way he could have worked 30 hours a week as he already worked 30 - 40 at his job. What would you prefer, he work 70 hours a week and not spend time with his boys, or work 40, use EBT and be an active parent in raising his boys?

Yes this is what they prefer. The family value party hates poor people. If youre working 70 hours a week and struggling you're a lazy whiner and should be working 85.

You want fast food or something with fat or sugar in it youre a lazy dead beat mooching off the government. You should only have gruel and water and be thankful for that.

Not sure why people are surprised by the hate Americans have for the poor.

According to some our poor are not poor enough here (They have things like a stove, indoor plumbing)
They want the poor here to be 3rd world poor

Disgusting really

Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
Yes this is what they prefer. The family value party hates poor people. If youre working 70 hours a week and struggling you're a lazy whiner and should be working 85.

You want fast food or something with fat or sugar in it youre a lazy dead beat mooching off the government. You should only have gruel and water and be thankful for that.

According to some our poor are not poor enough here (They have things like a stove, indoor plumbing)

Disgusting really
I agree. How dare they have any potato chips???

I only have known, personally, one individual on food stamps. She was a divorced mother, my hairdresser, several years ago. She was very kind and beautiful and was raising a son. I would say she only needed assistance for about one year after her divorce. She got on her feet; got her career going; met a great guy; and now has a very good life. I would never have known except I was standing behind her one day at the store checkout line.

How dare she buy a soda!

These are the folks we demonize.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's the 42" TV, iPhone, X-box, gold teeth, and deluxe cable type things that flabbergasts people. Reading through the posts it appears that quite a few are recommending that the poor use of those stoves and indoor plumbing more.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree. How dare they have any potato chips???

I only have known, personally, one individual on food stamps. She was a divorced mother, my hairdresser, several years ago. She was very kind and beautiful and was raising a son. I would say she only needed assistance for about one year after her divorce. She got on her feet; got her career going; met a great guy; and now has a very good life. I would never have known except I was standing behind her one day at the store checkout line.

How dare she buy a soda!

These are the folks we demonize.
As far as I am concerned she can buy all the sodas she wants. But if it were up to me, not with food stamps, she could use other resources for that. I want food stamps to be used for nutrition.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the 42" TV, iPhone, X-box, gold teeth, and deluxe cable type things that flabbergasts people. Reading through the posts it appears that quite a few are recommending that the poor use of those stoves and indoor plumbing more.
It is an urban legend that most of the poor have these items. I'm not just blowing off, I've been a public health nurse and worked with poor people.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
The poor are not starving by any means. That should be obvious by the growing obesity problem among the poor.
Stop worrying about what they spend their food stamp money on because the government doesn't care and refuse to release any statistics on what they are buying and where they are buying.

Are Americans living in poverty better off today than they were in 1959? - Slate Magazine
More than 92 percent of poor households always have enough food to eat, and poor children get about the same quantity of nutrients as middle-class children. Rector points out that poor children now "grow up to be, on average, one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II."

Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is an urban legend that most of the poor have these items. I'm not just blowing off, I've been a public health nurse and worked with poor people.
Understand. But it is frequent enough that it has become the common preception. People don't mind food stamps, or other types of assistance, going to the hair dresser who needs a little extra help for a year or two. I have met very few people who mind helping someone who is trying but struggling. Those are also the type of people who generally try to use things like food stamps for just their intended purpose. It is the chronic moochers that drive the rest of us insane.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:

Disgusting really
Talk about myths! It's a liberal myth that everyone living off food stamps is working 70 hours a week. That would be 40 hours of at least minimum wage and 30 hours overtime pay which would put someone over the limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies