Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I didn't realize that at this time there were actual food products stored in government storage facilities across the country.
In an earlier post, I said I wondered if there still were. I'm guessing there must be, but I really don't know and I was hoping that other people would have some information.

Traditionally, I know the gov bought up excess dairy products to help regulate prices so dairy farmers wouldn't go broke, similar to how they paid farmers NOT to grow corn so that corn prices were stable.

I'm not really that knowledgeable with the current state of these things. I might just go a-Googling!

OK: Didn't take long--found this from 2009--read the summary. In that year, the US did purchase excess dairy to keep prices stable for farmers.

http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/a...crs/R40205.pdf

Here's a newspaper article from 1982 on Cheese for the needy.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2010,2234820

Maybe someone actually familiar with dairy farming and the industry will come along and provide better info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePew View Post
The gov should make canned "people food" and hand that out instead of food stamps.
Soilent Green anyone?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Soilent Green anyone?
Hey, I was gonna say that!

Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
That's a good point. You know how the post office has been closing some offices? Well, many of these happen to be in poor areas. So merge the food stamp program with the postal service and have people pick up their food at the post office.
It's still done except the food goes to schools and other government institutions. It's purchased as a way of price control taking excess supply off the farmers/producers hands if I remember correctly.
My wife worked in school cafeterias and they had canned meat,block cheese,canned fruit,flour,sugar etc all from the government warehouse.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Why is half your post explaining what sadism means...lol.

I think people food is an excellent idea. And I don't mean cheap stuff like fancy feast. I mean high quality people food, that will clean the teeth and make shiny coats.
LOL Clean teeth and shiny coats...........my cat has very clean teeth and a shiny coat!

Because some don't seem to "get" that their proposals are very close to being sadistic.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In an earlier post, I said I wondered if there still were. I'm guessing there must be, but I really don't know and I was hoping that other people would have some information.

Traditionally, I know the gov bought up excess dairy products to help regulate prices so dairy farmers wouldn't go broke, similar to how they paid farmers NOT to grow corn so that corn prices were stable.

I'm not really that knowledgeable with the current state of these things. I might just go a-Googling!

OK: Didn't take long--found this from 2009--read the summary. In that year, the US did purchase excess dairy to keep prices stable for farmers.

http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/a...crs/R40205.pdf

Here's a newspaper article from 1982 on Cheese for the needy.

Star-News - Google News Archive Search

Maybe someone actually familiar with dairy farming and the industry will come along and provide better info.
Thanks. Very interesting information.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
It's still done except the food goes to schools and other government institutions. It's purchased as a way of price control taking excess supply off the farmers/producers hands if I remember correctly.
My wife worked in school cafeterias and they had canned meat,block cheese,canned fruit,flour,sugar etc all from the government warehouse.
That sounds like a very good use for it.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Can't rep you again, jimj, but thanks for the information.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
LOL Clean teeth and shiny coats...........my cat has very clean teeth and a shiny coat!

Because some don't seem to "get" that their proposals are very close to being sadistic.
You call it sadistic.
Did it ever occur to you that some if not many of us just might actually be concerned about what and how many kids are getting fed??
If the parent(s) blow a good portion of their food stamp allowance on crap , that means that is what the kids diets consist of.
Whay do you think so many kids won't eat the nutritional food served in schools?? It's not what they're used to.
I know this is going to be a waste of typing, because you're just not going to believe it, but my kids were brought up to eat well...they did have treats....but as adults, one sits down with a dish of brussel sprouts in the evening when "you" might fill up a bowl of ice cream.(The other ones favorite is broccoli....both also keep cereal around for a snack)
Junk food simply wasn't the only kind of food they learned to like.

What??? You don't feed your cat cookies and Fristos, washed down with soda??? Why is that?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You call it sadistic.
Did it ever occur to you that some if not many of us just might actually be concerned about what and how many kids are getting fed??
If the parent(s) blow a good portion of their food stamp allowance on crap , that means that is what the kids diets consist of.
Whay do you think so many kids won't eat the nutritional food served in schools?? It's not what they're used to.
I know this is going to be a waste of typing, because you're just not going to believe it, but my kids were brought up to eat well...they did have treats....but as adults, one sits down with a dish of brussel sprouts in the evening when "you" might fill up a bowl of ice cream.(The other ones favorite is broccoli....both also keep cereal around for a snack)
Junk food simply wasn't the only kind of food they learned to like.

What??? You don't feed your cat cookies and Fristos, washed down with soda??? Why is that?
I know you're being sarcastic, but cats are obligate carnivores. They will die without meat, and go blind first. Humans are omnivores. Different animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies