U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 3,282,237 times
Reputation: 910

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But the police didn't prevent the shooting, they caused it by not leaving their guns in the gun box as they entered the station. If they hadn't been armed, there wouldn't have been a shooting !
Criminals aren't required to lock their firearms up when entering a police station to initiate a shooting.
Michigan Police Department Shooting | Law Enforcement Today
Officer slain in Virginia police station shooting - CNN
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM
 
19,023 posts, read 24,194,699 times
Reputation: 7350
AH This story is on my tv right now... "The suspect over came the officer, grabbing HER gun!"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM
 
10,553 posts, read 8,911,945 times
Reputation: 4771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Criminals aren't required to lock their firearms up when entering a police station to initiate a shooting.
Michigan Police Department Shooting | Law Enforcement Today
Officer slain in Virginia police station shooting - CNN
If you can truly enter a police station with a gun, then the police are just stupid.

In this case though, this criminal didn't have a gun. The gun was grabbed from a police officer during a scuffle. Many stations have the officers remove their gun and enter the station gun-free, for the safety of everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 3,282,237 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If you can truly enter a police station with a gun, then the police are just stupid.

In this case though, this criminal didn't have a gun. The gun was grabbed from a police officer during a scuffle. Many stations have the officers remove their gun and enter the station gun-free, for the safety of everyone.
In this single case. The two I showed were perpetrated by people looking for a fight. I didn't see any gun dropboxes for them there.

And I've never heard of a department with such a policy. Know any with that in writing which I could verify?

People enter police stations all the time with firearms. Registration and safety inspections have to occur somehow. Not to mention, I don't think police departments would appreciate you calling them stupid because they don't gun down everyone who walks into a building with a legally owned firearm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 04:11 PM
 
10,553 posts, read 8,911,945 times
Reputation: 4771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
In this single case. The two I showed were perpetrated by people looking for a fight. I didn't see any gun dropboxes for them there.

And I've never heard of a department with such a policy. Know any with that in writing which I could verify?

People enter police stations all the time with firearms. Registration and safety inspections have to occur somehow. Not to mention, I don't think police departments would appreciate you calling them stupid because they don't gun down everyone who walks into a building with a legally owned firearm.
Maybe someone else can enlighten us. All I know is that at courthouses you to have to go through a metal detector, and weapons are prohibited, and I assumed police stations were the same.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 04:14 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 3,282,237 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Maybe someone else can enlighten us. All I know is that at courthouses you to have to go through a metal detector, and weapons are prohibited, and I assumed police stations were the same.
Local county Sheriff's office is "walk right in." The clerk is behind a bullet proof glass, but the door to the left is unlocked and leads into offices. It'd be trivial to enter that way.

I suspect some element of it may also be state-law, but IIRC, local LEOs can enter into a court-house armed.

And again, that won't matter when the individual brings in a gun anyway since he's not there to disarm himself, he's there to start shooting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM
 
22,332 posts, read 20,179,905 times
Reputation: 12891
Trained shooters with guns stopped a massacre. Score one for the pro gunners.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 04:42 PM
 
10,553 posts, read 8,911,945 times
Reputation: 4771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Trained shooters with guns stopped a massacre. Score one for the pro gunners.
Trained shooter gets her gun taken from her, which is then turned on the trained shooter. Score zero for dummies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,893 posts, read 12,636,849 times
Reputation: 9136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If you can truly enter a police station with a gun, then the police are just stupid.

In this case though, this criminal didn't have a gun. The gun was grabbed from a police officer during a scuffle. Many stations have the officers remove their gun and enter the station gun-free, for the safety of everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Maybe someone else can enlighten us. All I know is that at courthouses you to have to go through a metal detector, and weapons are prohibited, and I assumed police stations were the same.
Oh, my, that's just plain funny.

You ASSumed police entered police stations only after having relinquished their weapons at the front desk?

That's just plain funny.

Weapons prohibited at police stations. How truly funny.

Oh, my!

This one wins Post of the Day! And not in a good way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Long Island
46,413 posts, read 19,173,172 times
Reputation: 11265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Trained shooter gets her gun taken from her, which is then turned on the trained shooter. Score zero for dummies.
It's a good thing there were no armed school teachers present, they would have taken care of this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:10 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top