Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:18 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Have you lost confidence in your elected legislative representative and have doubts about their ethics and character? Are you concerned they can be 'bought' or otherwise pursuaded, against their will, to support the lobby?
I'll take "YES" for 500, Alex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? Not bright enough? Let's see.....

He's a decorated combat vet, a former senator, former CEO, a millionaire, sits on several corporate boards, etc..

Ok, let's get to you: not a decorated combat vet, not a former senator, not a former CEO (nor a present one), not a millionaire, and you sit on no corporate boards.

In other words, you sound ridiculous talking about what he's suited to doing when your record pales in comparison to his.

using the term "Jewish Lobby" shows a lack of tact at the very least. Not very smart.
As a side note,I think the AFL-CIo,Planned Parenthood and other leftwing groups should oppose HAgel given his voting record.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
using the term "Jewish Lobby" shows a lack of tact at the very least. \
How else do you describe it? I personally prefer the Zionist Lobby but then people think that's anti-semitic.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
using the term "Jewish Lobby" shows a lack of tact at the very least. Not very smart.
As a side note,I think the AFL-CIo,Planned Parenthood and other leftwing groups should oppose HAgel given his voting record.
Someone should be nominated based on their merits, too many one issue congressmen, if he is capable and the best candidate then nominate him, let the narrow minded have their day.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Ok. Your last sentence is somewhat salient.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
That's what lobbyists do.
It is legal to lobby.

Have you lost confidence in your elected legislative representative and have doubts about their ethics and character? Are you concerned they can be 'bought' or otherwise pursuaded, against their will, to support the lobby?

Your elected reps are the only ones who can pass legislation as lobbyists do not have that power granted to them.
It's a lobby for a foreign nation.
It should be absolutely illegal for other countries to lobby the US government.

I don't like Hagel, nor would I vote for him had I the option, but I don't give one whit what a foreign lobby wants.

Last edited by chielgirl; 12-28-2012 at 08:55 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
If the pro-Israel lobby is fighting against him then that would give me at least one reason to support his appointment.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
I am going to e-mail my senators in support of Hagel. It's about time we had some leaders who aren't handpicked by AIPAC.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
This whole mess was started by one small group of zealots and not AIPAC. Have we gotten to a point where its all yellow journalism and no fact checking by any American media?

Here they are:
Emergency Committee for Israel

These extremists don't speak for the majority, yet they are put on the front page as representing the majority.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/op...agel.html?_r=0

Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Calling it the "Jewish lobby" tars all Jews as supporting these right wing Likudniks and could be seen as a sign you see all "Jews" as bad natured.

The most influential and effective voices standing up to the Israeli lobby are American jews.

Max Blumenthal, Glenn Greenwald, MJ Rosenburg, Noam Chomsky, etc.

Follow (subscribe to) the twitter feeds of these American journalists because they know what they are talking about.

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal

https://twitter.com/MJayRosenberg

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald

https://twitter.com/daily_chomsky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies