Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM

309 posts, read 427,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
No. homemade candies, booze and money.

Well I guess the money technically is made in China seeing as all the debt of ours they own. LMFAO!!!
Describes our Christmas exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
I generally don't check where a product is made before I buy it. I could care less if the business is locally owned or not.

Parents in China wanna feed their kids too. I don't see why I should deprive them of that if they make something I want at a decent price.

I live near Victoria's Secret headquaters. They were buying material from a company in Burkina Faso that employed people under the age of 18. Took a big PR hit and cut ties with that supplier. Burkina Faso is one of the poorest countries in the world. And because some busybodies in the West don't approve a bunch of people are now uneemployed. And since there is zero economic opportunity there those kids and their families are going without shelter/clothing/food. But that's okay. As long as dopey liberals in the U.S. feel good about themselves. We should be supporting third world capitalism/child laborers. It allows them to live better lives.

I do have one rule though. If at all possible I never shop at a place that has a union or buy anything that is union made.

I'm a proud supporter of the non-union worker.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I didn't check, but probably 75% of them were either made in china, or some other emerging economy in a third world country.

Of course, the democrats think the answer to fix this trade imbalance is higher taxes, more corporate and financial regulations, and stiffer more draconian EPA regulations and more interference and mandates from the government.
While whining about jobs being shipped overseas.

1+1=3

Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I made a real effort to not buy items made in China. Most of the gifts I bought were made in the USA and the rest were made in Italy or France.
I heard many Chinese live in Italy, and make "made in Italy" products with Chinese materials.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,471 times
I had a partially made in Peru Christmas

Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,471 times
Boycott made in china lm/

Old 12-29-2012, 09:30 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
The question is not why stuff made in China costs so little.

The question is, why does stuff made in the U.S. cost so much?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
I currently pay for a pair of shoes just a couple dollars more than what my mother paid for my shoes back in the 70s. As a consumer I like the fact that I can have a blow out Christmas for my children but dont have to break the bank. China, walmart all these things that make my consumer driven life less expensive is a good thing for me

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Christmas hasn't happened for me yet.... i worked that day to support the chinese. I am giving my son a money gift which he will use towards a surveillance system. A money gift to my wife because I have no idea what she wants.

And I am buying an American made scope for a very old 22 bolt action rifle in the hopes to make it a tack driver. I would have that now if it were in stock.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The question is not why stuff made in China costs so little.

The question is, why does stuff made in the U.S. cost so much?
Stuff in china costs so little, because most of it has 0 value.. The real cost of the chinese crappola is in the fuel to ship it here, making the cargo ships cost very little too.

The chinese work slave wages.... If we could some how convert to a value system we have in pre 1957 the chines might almost earn 10 cents a month.

With the system we have a paper dollar might be worth 4 cents. The day the govt can hold up a dollar and claim it has any value is nearing it's end.

It's a good thing last Thursday Obama gave Biden and Congress a raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies