Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,746,770 times

Advertisements

Was virtually every present you gave and received "Made in China"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,575,452 times
No. homemade candies, booze and money.

Well I guess the money technically is made in China seeing as all the debt of ours they own. LMFAO!!!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,036,187 times
What's the point of this question? Let me ask....did anyone have a Made in USA xmas?

Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,333,172 times
Largely, yes. Most presents were made in China.

According to my Econ professors, this is a good thing because comparative advantage and free trade creates more profits and thus benefits everyone.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,755,371 times
I gave cash gifts... so yes, my Christmas was borrowed from China.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:36 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,398,422 times
Some things cannot be changed, so what's the point. Whenever possible, i will always look for made in America on what ever it is i buy.

You can find made in America still, i look long and hard. I buy clothes with the tag, furniture made in America, although i pay a hefty price tag, but i don't care.

Little odds and ends, lately mag-lites i even found with the made in America.

But how are you going truthfully to get away with purcashing goods from China, they are all over the place.

Tech gadgets, we all know where they are coming from, and they do make some damn good tablets and computers, wish they did not.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,147,563 times
Nah, ya can't get good Irish Whiskey from China.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM

37,932 posts, read 22,006,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Was virtually every present you gave and received "Made in China"?
I didn't check, but probably 75% of them were either made in china, or some other emerging economy in a third world country.

Of course, the democrats think the answer to fix this trade imbalance is higher taxes, more corporate and financial regulations, and stiffer more draconian EPA regulations and more interference and mandates from the government.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,398,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I didn't check, but probably 75% of them were either made in china, or some other emerging economy in a third world country.

Of course, the democrats think the answer to fix this trade imbalance is higher taxes, more corporate and financial regulations, and stiffer more draconian EPA regulations and more interference and mandates from the government.

On that note! you got what you paid for? And boy depending on what you buy, many goods from China are going up in price, notice computer and tablet and cell prices.

Democrats think a lot of things! Don't make it gospel. As some of you think!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,998,466 times
I have no idea why people seem to have issues with capitalism. As a company, you produce where your costs are lowest and where regulations are the most lax.

If you don't like it, prepare to spend a lot more for the same product, have a lot of companies go out of business, see unemployment rise, have a lot less buying-power yourself, and earn less so that you can compete with every single potential third-world nation that can offer lower production costs.

Of course, if you do so, you'll quickly find that you, yourself, are living in a third-world nation.

Remember, most people thought that a global economy was a good thing because, hey, the old capitalist mantra is that competition benefits the consumer. And it's true, international competition has lowered prices on many items for everyone. Did anyone really believe that there wasn't some other price to be paid?

Now we are stuck with a Catch 22: Continue the way we have, lose even more manufacturing here in the US, have more people compete for fewer jobs, and hope to reinvent the US economic system to cope with these changes.

Or, forcefully shift production to manufacturers back home (while coping with looking like an absolute hypocrite on the international market - not to mention the very detrimental effects of foreign retaliatory legislation), have prices increase tremendously, have people purchase less, lose more jobs, have more people compete for fewer jobs, and hope to reinvent the US economic system to cope with these changes.

Any way you slice it, our consumerism-driven economy has caused quite the problem. We've all heard the cries to "buy more, buy more," when the economy isn't doing well. We are all bombarded with the latest consumer confidence data. After all, consumerism is our god.

No need to worry, though. China is embracing the same trend - and will eventually stare down the same barrel of an economic gun unless their government forcefully intervenes. Which they will. Which is going to suck for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies