Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
You're right, there isn't much of a point. I've worked my ass off my entire short life, only to give over half of it away to people who frankly don't do a god damn thing. I can't even drive a decent vehicle that I worked hard for in this country because people will scratch words like "1%er" on it.

I suggest everyone just does absolutely nothing like the rest of the miserable little ****s and wait for that check to come in the mail.

EDIT: To whoever it was that mentioned the "right-wing BS" -

Clearly you don't make enough money to understand how much is actually taken when you're earning above 100K annually. Guaranteed, you'll be left with less than a third of that income.
Your last paragraph makes it quite clear that YOU'VE never made that kind of money either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm just now starting to comprehend how many dumb people there are in this country. Stop ingesting right wing BS all day and you will be better for it.

If you think that living in a subsidized housing project living off food stamps is better than making 100K a year and paying 28% in Federal taxes, you're a hopeless moron.
More like sour grapes is more like it. Problem is the "job creators" aka the "financially successful" have had it good for far too long on our backs. Tax the millionaires to the hilt, the majority of them got there because they were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. 99% of successful small business owners do not make it to the millionaire class, so there's no point in trying to keep taxes down for them because of some perceived notion of climbing up that ladder. Hell, most people don't even make it beyond 500k, let alone 1 million

Old 12-28-2012, 02:43 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Your last paragraph makes it quite clear that YOU'VE never made that kind of money either.
The fact that you consider 2 incomplete sentences to be a paragraph says a lot too. Don't be butt hurt, you'll hit the lottery (poor tax) soon.

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Whats the personal allowance in the US?

How much can you earn before federal income tax/state income tax/ Social security kicks in?

Here in England its around £8000/$13000, i think they want to increase it to £10000/$16000 so if you earn below that you pay no tax/social security.
Now there's a progressive tax change. Here seems like the opposite is happening.

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Since Americans - especially wealthy Americans - are currently paying the lowest tax burden since the 1950's, I'd say yes.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Incorrect.

Let's take two people: Person A takes a $25K job while person B goes to school for 6 years to get a masters degree at a cost of, say, $10K per year (we'll assume they go to a local college, double this if they go away to school). Assuming zero interest on student loans while in school, person B amasses $60K in debt while person A earns $150K. Let's say that person B starts out at $50K and makes it to $100K in 10 years for an average of $75K in income (making the math easy here). During that time, they pay back their student loans, pay 28% taxes, plus social security and medicare taxes, and save 15% towards retirement (because they are the ones who will be cut out of social security. Now consider that they also need to save for college for their kids and how much ahead are they 10 years out?

The person making $25K needs to save nothing for retirement because they are the ones society will take care of. They will not only not pay taxes, they'll get money back they never paid in. They also do not need to save for retirement for their kids because their kids will get grants. The way our system is set up, that $25K income is a lot more than it looks like and that $75K in income a lot less. They're closer than you think.

I once calculated the pay back on my education as 27 years. That's the break even point comparing myself to someone who started on the line in the factory on the day I started college. Unfortunately, my engineering career only lasted 17 years so I never reached pay back BUT I'm certain I'll be penalized when it's time to draw social security.
You're absolutely right that college can be overrated, but you failed to disprove that the life of being poor is worse overall.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:46 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
Well, for one, I would hope to be serviced by a doctor who actually cares about helping people, not how much is going into his wallet (though I am aware of students who go to med school for the money...they usually don't make it). Greed is not going to bring you happiness because something in your life will be short-changed in the end.

What do you define as "financially successful"?
It's not greedy to want to keep money you earned instead of being forced to give more than half of it to the government.

Government is the very definition of greed.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:47 PM

768 posts, read 879,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Now there's a progressive tax change. Here seems like the opposite is happening.
Yes, but does anyone have a answer for my question LOL.

American tax code/laws seem very confusing.

Also can capital gains allowances be carried over from one year to another?

Old 12-28-2012, 02:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thnik yopu need to weight all opitions before say investing mney and years in say ebcoming a doctor .I see mnay other fields that futuure is more certain with less years and money invested.I know my doctor said he couldn't look to even think about it since he doubts he could then fford a private pracice with what happening now. No reason nt to sonider everythng now jut like any large investment in your future.its not just doctors either ;all such investment in advanced education needs to be looked at.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:48 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Because you'll still make a sh1tload of money, doofus. "Insanely high", meaning tax rates that have been roughly in place for the greater part of the last century in which we've had no shortage of engineers, doctors, and lawyers? Fine though, if you'd prefer to be poorer so you can pay lower taxes by a few percentage points, then go right ahead. You should listen to yourself talk sometimes. Typical conservative overdramatic crybaby.

*And questioning your definition of success makes someone a "nut"? I'd like to know why you bother interacting on this forum if you have such an intensely closed mind.
Can you do math? The years someone is in school, they are going into the red. Instead of making money, they are spending it (assuming they had it and don't have to go into debt). The day I graduated from college, I was over $140K behind someone who started working the day I started college at a $25K job and THAT is before you consider all the tax breaks and hand outs they'd get.

College is a chitload of money and you're not earning anything while you're getting that education. The pay back period on an education is a very long time IF you have one. Between the cost of the eduction, higher taxes, having to handle your own retirement and educations for your kids, it takes a very long time to recoup your losses. Why we punish the ambitious by making them pay more taxes is beyond me. We should be rewarding them for their effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies