Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times

Advertisements

I wonder what a malpractice premium was in 1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not much if you really believe that the tax rates being proposed are "insanely" high, which they aren't. Not only are they not insanely high they aren't high by any historical measure pre-1913.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I wonder what a malpractice premium was in 1913
You want to go back to 1913, good luck with that.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Doctor shortage could take turn for the worse

The U.S. is currently facing a severe shortage of doctors.

The Association of American Medical Colleges predicts that by 2020, the shortage will amount to more than 90,000 doctors, including 45,000 patient care physicians. Why such a shortfall? The baby boom generation is getting older and will require more medical care in the coming years. The newly enacted Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will soon require most people to obtain health insurance, leading millions more to seek care. Finally, a third of all doctors plan to retire this decade.
The shortage is because doctor's lobby their State legislatures to limit the number of medical school graduates so they can make more money. A craniofacial surgeon lives 3 doors down from me and he's pulling in about $650K per year. Poor doctors!...LOL

Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I see so a cheap state school that likely does not have the reputation of a more expensive private college and they likely could not afford on their own, and you think this is unfair? Not to mention the kids get more hire able(degree vs. no degree)?
What are you talking about??? I said no such thing. I said that they went to school on grants. I have no idea where you went from there. Do try to keep up.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The shortage is because doctor's lobby their State legislatures to limit the number of medical school graduates so they can make more money. A craniofacial surgeon lives 3 doors down from me and he's pulling in about $650K per year. Poor doctors!...LOL
I never quite understood the limit on the number of doctors; they don't limit other professions.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not much if you really believe that the tax rates being proposed are "insanely" high, which they aren't. Not only are they not insanely high they aren't high by any historical measure pre-1913.
It's not just the tax rates (and they are insanely high when you consider that 47% of all people pay no taxes and many of them get supplemented with tax returns for money they did not pay into the system). If a person making $25K pays no taxes and gets their income supplemented while a person making $75K pays 28%, has school loans to pay off (remember they run up debt getting that education), has to save for their own retiremend and save for their kids to go to college, the actual buying power of those incomes is closer than you think.

All things considered, an education may not be worth it. If you opt not to get one, you start working and earning on day one. If you opt to get one, you delay working and earning by 4-6 years (unless you go on for a PhD and then it's longer). During those 4-6 years, you amasse debt unless you're fortunate enough to have parents who can pay your way. Then after you get out of school, they want to slap you with higher taxes because you make more yet they don't consider all the years you made nothing getting that education that allows you to make more.

If you look at the two people I noted above, the one earning $25K (not counting any taxes they get back they didn't pay into the system) earns $250,000 in the first ten years they work. The one making $75K doesn't start earning until year 7 and earns $225,000 minus taxes, student loan payments and savings for retirement during the same 10 year period. The one who earns less during that 10 year period is the one who pays more taxes.

If you compare a college grad to a non grad, while the non grad earns half as much, they pay far less in taxes, do not pay back student loans and are required to pay as much towards retirement or their own children's educations. As a result, the higher wage earner isn't nearly as far ahead as you think they are. I was rather shocked when I graduated from college. I tripled my wages by going to school but paid many times more than that in taxes. The government doesn't even consider that I gave up 4 years of income to get that first degree. They just stand there with their hand out.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It's not just the tax rates (and they are insanely high when you consider that 47% of all people pay no taxes and many of them get supplemented with tax returns for money they did not pay into the system).
Sigh. It's so hard to have a discussion when people invent their own facts, or, purposely believe mistruths that seem to support their world view.

No taxes? They pay no taxes? Really now.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:59 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I mean, why should I put myself through Engineering School, Medical School, a top University, Law School or a Doctorate Program if I know that I will be annihilated by insanely high tax rates if I make a higher-income?

* FINANCIALLY Successful (for the overly-philosophical nuts out there).
with a whiny attitude, you'll never be successful.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Sigh. It's so hard to have a discussion when people invent their own facts, or, purposely believe mistruths that seem to support their world view.

No taxes? They pay no taxes? Really now.
I've read that 47% pay no federal income tax and a good number of those actually get back money they didn't pay in. Not invented facts at all. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

I favor a tax system where everyone pays taxes at all levels not just federal. We should all have a vested interest in our government not just our hands out.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I've read that 47% pay no federal income tax and a good number of those actually get back money they didn't pay in. Not invented facts at all. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

I favor a tax system where everyone pays taxes at all levels not just federal. We should all have a vested interest in our government not just our hands out.
You read that 47% pay no FEDERAL income tax, but you stated that 47% pay no TAX... And conveniently left out SSI/Medicaid, sales and other taxes they do pay...

I wonder why you would make such an error or omission?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies