Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Wow, absolutely ridiculous. I just finished reading for the first time about the gang-rape that occurred in India and I was planning on reading about this next, so of course I haven't read into the story yet. But this is just a shame, I thought the child may have been killed but they're asking for $100 million for a surviving child. The school districts of Connecticut could spend that $100 million on improving safety within their schools, these people are just trying to live a life of luxury with this lawsuit. I can say the state should pay for the following:

*The funerals of the children.
*Any cost for psychiatric treatment that may be required for the children or students, including those who may have suffered post-tramatic stress.
*$25,000-50,000 for each family that suffered a lost, and for the one or two that was or injured.
This sounds like about what I would award if I were on a jury hearing a lawsuit in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I should have been more clear. The school system should have made sure the school was safe. I don't think that's unreasooable at all.

And I have no problem with principals and/teachers carrying guns if they want. Wouldn't require it though. Janitors and cooks could carry them to.

And I don't think it's a function of government to provide mental healthcare. Though it would be nice if they eliminated anti-depressents and other brain altering drugs.

I can't help but think if the exact thing happened at a private business everyone would be fine with a lawsuit. maybe not though.
It's not a function of government to ensure that its citizens have access to affordable mental healthcare, but it is a function of schools to arm themselves and protect their students from armed lunatics???

For what it's worth (even though I don't think this conversation between us will amount to much), It wasn't all that long ago I was in school, and I can tell you with absolute certainty: There is no god damn way I would trust a gun in the hands of at least a handful of teachers in that building, let alone the janitors and cooks.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
What a terrible thing to have happen. I mean of ALL the people to sue for anything...the family of a survivor? PLEASE!

I'm going to hope it's shock talking. There is no way to ensure everyone is safe from everything 100% of the time and no lawsuit should go forward on that premise.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I wonder if this will turn into a class action suit with more surviving student's parents joining at $100 million per student for the rest of the students in the school.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Like most posters here I find this lawsuit disturbing. What was the school supposed to do? As far as I read, the doors were locked which is more than most schools would have done. With all the children would were victims of that nut, I would have praised the Lord that my child survived. Schools al over the country are trying to come to grips with this tragedy and how to respond, but a civil lawsuit will do little to find solutions other than schools having parents sign more legal documents exculpating the school district from liability or passing similar legislation in the event of such tragedies.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
It's unreasonable for a publik school to ensure its denizens are safe?
We could build a car that is 100% survivable in a crash, we don't because the average citizen couldn't afford it. There is limit as to what is practical.

Having said that these schools could certainly do more, I noted in some previous threads the entrance to my nieces school where you went through an unlocked outer door into a foyer. They had a forminable door on the inside you had to be buzzed through, that's a start but as I was standing there 2 people walked through the door. If I wanted in I was in.

We also need to make sure the people in control of this security don't get lackadaisical as time goes by and people get into their routine. I had to go into this daycare center once where I had no reason to be there at least as far as the people inside should of been concerned. They could see me through the glass and the lady walked over past the place they had for people to converse and opened the security door to speak to me. The first thought in my mind is why have this nice security door, you might as well have a flimsy $50 from Home Depot.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
They are 100% in the right to sue and I would definitely award them the money had I been on the jury.

Why? Well, if the school disarms me and creates this Gun Free Zone, they are liable to create a safe environment!
As much as I despise frivilous lawsuits (yes, I think this one is opportunistic and frivilous), there's some logic in what you say.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
I don't think this person deserves 100 million, but I always get a little nervous when I hear a public lawsuit like this that seems frivolous because people start talking about "tort reform", which is code for businesses eliminating the right to a civil jury trial. Despite the sensation that is often in the media when these stories arise, lawsuits like this are usually either dismissed, settled for a fraction of the amount or reduced on appeal. And as much as some people hate to admit it, lawsuits do make things safer.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
How could anyone enforce a gun-free zone against a lunatic whose sole purpose is to kill and then take his own life? We already have signs that say slowdown school zone and judging by the amount of people I see being ticketed, those signs do not have much of an effect on many people. I'm not opposed to the idea of gun free zones and think it may be a good idea, but in reality it will do nothing for the true lunatic.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't think this person deserves 100 million, but I always get a little nervous when I hear a public lawsuit like this that seems frivolous because people start talking about "tort reform", which is code for businesses eliminating the right to a civil jury trial. Despite the sensation that is often in the media when these stories arise, lawsuits like this are usually either dismissed, settled for a fraction of the amount or reduced on appeal. And as much as some people hate to admit it, lawsuits do make things safer.
Really? This suit is without basis. It was a nice school in a sleepy town with added security at the door. Anything more would've been a waste of money (previously at least). It's very sad that it occurred, but there is no negligence nor was it foreseeable.

There is no merit to this lawsuit. Yes they will settle out of court and the lawyer will take 1/3 off the top. This in term makes everything more expensive for all of us. It doesn't make things safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies