U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 AM

10,696 posts, read 5,463,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you are taking the playing dumb approach, that seems fitting. Why not have him eating an ice cream or an apple, what is the importance of the watermelon? Do I need to google that for you?
While this thread is still at the top of p. 1, I'll respectfully suggest you're the one taking the dumb approach by trying to seriously discuss the subject with the opening poster.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM

14,890 posts, read 15,903,020 times
I just read the article and I see no mention this idiot was a VN vet. as far as that goes something like 12% of soldiers that went to VN fought, the rest were what fighting soldiers call REMF's. I doubt any man that fought in real combat side by side with other vets would display something so hateful towards men who put their lives on the line for their country.

on a side note besides being a hateful "display" the mask looks nothing like obama it is still racist. does the man have a right to show the world he is an ass, yes, and he did.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM

31,371 posts, read 33,705,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
Like me, this man fought for this country in the Vietnam War and therefore we should respect him and his right to display this mannequin of Obama eating a watermelon in his front yard in Kentucky. From what I gather, the neighbors approve what he is doing and doesn't find anything wrong with it. I agree with them. As a soldier, he should be appreciated for practicing his freedom of expression. He earned it by wearing the uniform and taking a oath to defend his country and the Constitution.
He gets my respect for his service and that's where it ends. I respect his right to do or say anything under the 1st Amendment, and I get to exercise my 1st Amendment right to call him a racist ahole.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM

64,154 posts, read 45,549,843 times
Quote:
They had it coming.

They deserved no respect.
They had it coming?

Because they didn't welcome invaders with a brass band and open arms?

Still waiting to hear just how the NVA ideology posed enough threat to the US to justify war as you've alleged while the combined USSR/China ideology did not. Is there anything you can possibly say to make any sense at all of that illogic?

Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 AM

64,154 posts, read 45,549,843 times
Quote:
You people enjoy the afternoon. I am off to the shooting range.
Which end?

17,063 posts, read 12,323,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I grew up in southeast Virginia, I have seen racism up close and personal growing up and it makes me sick when I see someone displaying racism or acting like it is no big deal to be racist and support racists.
Who is supporting racists or acting like it is no big deal? Freedom of speech isn't always convenient, sometimes that speech is repulsive, but either all citizens and ideals have it or it really isn't freedom of speech.

I grew up on military bases, so no, I imagine I did not encounter the level of racism you did growing up, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize it exists or haven't been subjected to it. I have been called a uppity n****er before and other delightful things, but it does that mean that every person who looks like that speaker, or lives near them, is the same kind of low life as the person who did it. Just because you encountered bigotry and discrimination in Southern Virginia does not mean the South is nothing but a bunch of bigots. It means SOME people in Southern Virginia are bigoted pigs.

Just like you don't want to be judged by the actions, deeds, or words of some of the less than stellar members of the black community, the people of Kentucky do not want to be judged by the actions or words of this idiot. Bigotry and stereotyping is damaging to all of us.

46,038 posts, read 31,465,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
While this thread is still at the top of p. 1, I'll respectfully suggest you're the one taking the dumb approach by trying to seriously discuss the subject with the opening poster.
I am not the only one posting in here keeping it at the top, besides I am trying to get it closed down.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM

22,232 posts, read 16,190,191 times
Quote:
Like me, this man fought for this country in the Vietnam War and therefore we should respect him and his right to display this mannequin of Obama eating a watermelon in his front yard in Kentucky. From what I gather, the neighbors approve what he is doing and doesn't find anything wrong with it. I agree with them. As a soldier, he should be appreciated for practicing his freedom of expression. He earned it by wearing the uniform and taking a oath to defend his country and the Constitution.

Casey County Man Defends Controversial Obama Display | LEX18.com | Lexington, Kentucky

"The way I look at it, it's freedom of speech," Hafley told LEX 18 in a recent interview, going on to state that he had included the watermelon not in attempt to play to any racist stereotypes, but because the statue "might get hungry standing out here."
I believe in freedom of speech, even if it is not delivered in English.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,390,347 times
Quote:
.....Obama holding a slice of watermelon was meant as a joke and not a racist display....
So to translate this into what he's really saying, "Yes, it is absolutely a racist display, but I'm too much of a spineless little wussy boy to come right out and say so." That's what I thought.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 AM

56,217 posts, read 30,293,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I know a lot of people that fought in the Vietnam War that I do not respect. Not that I don't respect their role as a soldier in the war; but how they are today. Sorry, you just can't keep blaming the war for your addiction to painkillers and pot ~ at some point.

Not all ex-military are good people. They are just like the rest of the population - good and bad.

This ex-soldier strikes me as a total racist idiot. I respect nothing he stands for.
That's what i don't get....why do veterans get automatic respect regardless of what they show their character to be? So what if he's a Vietnam Vet. If he's a dirtbag, i couldn't possibly care less about his military record.

This little piece of art is in bad taste, but bad taste isn't illegal. If he wants to look like a fool, that's his business. If his neighbors wanna identify with him, that's not illegal either. So long as they understand that they'll be marked with the same reputation that their neighbor has, then it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.