Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Just how much more can government control us?

Can I go fishing without some type of license?

Can I go hunting without some type of license?

Can I drive a car without some type of license?

Can I travel freely throughout America without encountering a roadblock where they can forcibly take my blood?

The list goes on and on, we lost our personal freedoms a long time ago.....
True. But the level of surveillance and control evidenced in the Wall St Journal documents is scary.

To quote: "the trove of 200-plus marketing documents (which you can view online) include hacking tools that enable governments to break into people’s computers and cellphones, and "massive intercept" gear that can gather all Internet communications in a country."

Pretty well every country on the globe is on the list of attendees at these surveillance conferences.

The Surveillance Catalog - The Wall Street Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
True. But the level of surveillance and control evidenced in the Wall St Journal documents is scary.

To quote: "the trove of 200-plus marketing documents (which you can view online) include hacking tools that enable governments to break into people’s computers and cellphones, and "massive intercept" gear that can gather all Internet communications in a country."

Pretty well every country on the globe is on the list of attendees at these surveillance conferences.

The Surveillance Catalog - The Wall Street Journal
Sorry, I don't consider the Wall Street Journal to be a trusted worthwhile source of IT information,

Sensationalist? whose information has been in the public domain for years? you betcha....

Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Use the internet and your information is being tracked. By every keystroke you make and every site you visit. Use customer service cards, savings cards, sign up for company emails, etc. and you are being tracked. Refraining from Facebook or Twitter does not keep you safe.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Sorry, I don't consider the Wall Street Journal to be a trusted worthwhile source of IT information,

Sensationalist? whose information has been in the public domain for years? you betcha....
Well it still makes for interesting reading.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Here's a great example of how we are being tracked.

I just went to a cite called 'thehill.com' to look up data on CBO spending, and my screen hung for several seconds. Google chrome told me that what was holding up loading the page was something called 'trc.taboola'

I looked that up and Taboola is a company that provides a platform for ;
"Personalized Video Recommendations
Editorial-friendly controls, advanced analytics and insights
Taboola EngageRankâ„¢ predicts which of your videos people want to watch
Based on semantics, anonymous user behaviors and editorial goals
Convert readers into video viewers"

So in other words Taboola was collecting data on me to pinpoint what videos the site might flash on the page that it thinks I would be interested in based on my surfing behavior. Taboola is on lets say thousands of other websites, so gradually a picture of my interests and demographic data would emerge on Taboola.
Interesting. Thanks for the info on that.

I love when you read an article on huffPo and the FB icon wants you to say what you like, then log in.
Alot of blogs also have those pop ups "what you also may like". Predictive programming.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The more info and data they have on you the better their chances of popping up the ad/information that you are most likely to click on.

It's a win/win for government and business here. The more you tell about yourself on the internet the more they get on you.

I do find those little amazon popups a tad scary when they show me the last thing I looked up on Amazon pricewise.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM

Agree. It doesnt seem to be just used for commerce, business.

FB is creepy bcs imo, people put alot more family and personal friends on there, unlike here.

FB also uses the facial feature simulation software.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Agree. It doesnt seem to be just used for commerce, business.

FB is creepy bcs imo, people put alot more family and personal friends on there, unlike here.

FB also uses the facial feature simulation software.
And there's more than just FB. Linkedin, twitter, instagram, pinterest are just a few more.
And you have all those blogging sites as well.
Then you have software that has all your account/password info like Quicken, etc that gets transmitted.

Social networking is basically filling in a huge information sheet and handing it to whoever on the web.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Pinterest is like a silly billboard. Alot of people seem to use it though. Quick visuals for those surveilling.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the info on that.

I love when you read an article on huffPo and the FB icon wants you to say what you like, then log in.
Alot of blogs also have those pop ups "what you also may like". Predictive programming.
Nowadays a lot of sites like you to log in with your facebook or twitter account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies