Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
I thought you were talking about a direct attack on the homeland by a major power. If so a EMP attack would not be a silly scenario. The EMP's are designed for first strikes in order to send everything into disarray.
Sorry - by "silly scenario", I meant my fantasy of a Mexican invasion. Obviously, Mexico doesn't have five army groups and never will.

I agree an EMP attack would create some serious problems, but since the US mainland isn't likely to be attacked by anyone, I think it's a more dangerous threat vis-a-vis a potential foe in the western Pacific or SE Asia (looking at you, People's Republic), as a prelude to a Falklands-style landgrab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 11:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Over glorify? No. But, serving in the military or being a vet does not make a person prefect or excuse them from bad acts. Same for police and firefighters. We need be publicly grateful but they aren't gods so we do not need to worship them. There is a difference and most of time we strike the right balance. During Vietnam we didn't.
Sure we did. The overwhelming majority of Vietnam Vets came home and had a totally normal transition back into civilian life...or at least as normal as it can be under those circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
The best defense is a strong offense!
Strong defense doesn't mean that we should break the treasury by hundreds of billions of dollars nor do we need to slavishly suck up to the military culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm assuming those posters are all out buying their new guns.

I think a certain amount of the glorification now is atonement for ignoring the Vietnam vets when they came home. And the general lack of patriotic rah-rah during Vietnam. Plus it's a volunteer Army now so a certain amount of selling people on the job of being a soldier is needed.
Not really. I mean, the military has to basically turn people away. BTW...we didn't ignore Vietnam Vets when they came home. There is simply no evidence of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I don't agree that the new found praise for the military was because of some remorse to how Viet Nam vets were treated. I was in during the 80's and the military was not well liked by civililians in general. It seems after Desert Storm the pendulum swung the other way and then of course 911 took it all the way up.
I was in during the 80's. I was treated just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The very same far left lefties who spat upon our returning Vietnam Veterans now deny that it happened. Anyone remember hanoi jane fonda, or john kerry? Many, many lefties called our proud troops baby killers and yes, they were spat upon when they came home.

I don't think you can ever over glorify our service personnel who actually saw combat.
No truth in anything you said. They weren't spat upon, and they weren't called baby killers. Sorry. That's a big ass myth, and you're the millionth person to run with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think the turning point came in November of 1982 when the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the Wall, was dedicated. That was the coming home parade the Vietnam Vets never got..
How could the Vietnam Vets have a parade? The war lasted well over a decade, and soldiers came home after a one year tour. You would've had to have a parade every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"I'm not proud of the behavior of our military"

Outside of a few knuckleheads, why are you not proud of the US Military? VERY curious as to why not! And for the IDIOT who said that Vietnam Vets were not mistreated, you are a true FOOL!
Ok, i'm a fool.

However, the Vietnam Vets weren't mistreated. You need to lay off the Rambo: First Blood DVD's. The overwhelming majority of Vietnam Vets came home and had the most normal transition possible under the circumstances. No, they weren't worshiped. But then, why should they have been? They were just doing what millions of soldiers have always done in American wars.

That's the truth. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
You really need to study history. There would not be a U.S.A. if it were not for the military. We did not win the WW11 by being nice, sweet, or kind. And we did not win it because we were smarter either. There have been many other battles too.
Uh....ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No; we have and will always owe our military much graditude. They are pretty much the only heroes i governamnt serve and rightly recive the honors.I alos don't think most have forgotten nw terrible the nation treated them after vietnam.
The nation didn't treat them terrible after Vietnam. You're another one that's been drinking the "bitter Vietnam Vet" kool-aid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I think there is a lot of guilt from those that cheer and a little jealousy from those that jeer.
Probably. I wouldn't doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Never stood a watch in your life have you?
I have. Standing watch is overrated. So what? Standing watch makes someone special? Please. When i stood watch, i was just doing the job i was paid to do. No one need worship me for doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
It has been ridiculously expensive to maintain it.
Funny thing, you hear the lashing and cries for austerity but not when he comes to those that make their living off of the military.

Do you know how many admirals and high ranking military members retire on a nice fat pension and then cozy up with arms manufacturers and the like to keep even more of the gravy train going on my tax dollars.

Where are the outcries from these leeches?
I'm presently a defense contractor. From my conversations with my colleagues, they think they deserve to be overpaid for the work they do. But of course, nearly all of them believe in "small government" so long as small government doesn't render them unemployed. LMAO....cracks me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Western Europeans are patriotic and don't seem to do it much. Ever see a military display at a World Cup or other European football match?
They are very patriotic, and even patriotism has its place in Europe. They aren't militaristic people anymore. Moreover, when the whole society is conscripted into service, they tend to have a more sober view of the military. Europeans feel that any dollar spent on a weapon is a dollar that SHOULD be spent to make their society better by investing in people. That's why they keep their military expenditures in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If anything our military is not appreciated nor respected...
Nonsense. This nation shows nothing but adulation to its military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooka View Post
Absolutely it does. When you go to Branson its always the same old Crap. Flag flag flag troops troop troops god god god bal bal bla puke puke puke. . Same old crap over and over. I hate Branson, I wish my family would not meet there. If I never see some old tart waving her hands in the air to God bless America like she was getting fed right out of the air itself I would be very happy.
Branson? Geez...why would anyone vacation in the corny ass place.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,436 times
No we do not over-glorify the military. I'm a Veteran myself and I don't have people worshiping the ground I walk on after I tell them I served in the Navy. I know, using myself as an example is pretty bad but it still proves a point. A few friends of mine are Active and Vets, yet no one praises them daily or over glorifies them whatsoever.

What this country needs to do is help get the homeless Vets off the streets and do more to help out the Veterans that truly need it. There's no damn reason why an Active Duty Personnel or Reservist ought to be able to apply for food stamps - it's a damn shame really. As I country, I feel we don't do enough although I do have it on good authority that NBC Universal is partnering up with several organizations across the country with the Got Your Six campaign to help the Vets and Active Duty folks out more.

So no - we don't over glorify whatsoever. If someone has a problem with it, then take the time out of the day to write in a diary, journal, or political blog that no one is ever going to read. Meanwhile, the rest of us will enjoy giving thanks to the people in the military both past and present for their willing sacrifice for the betterment of this nation.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
No we do not over-glorify the military. I'm a Veteran myself and I don't have people worshiping the ground I walk on after I tell them I served in the Navy. I know, using myself as an example is pretty bad but it still proves a point. A few friends of mine are Active and Vets, yet no one praises them daily or over glorifies them whatsoever.

What this country needs to do is help get the homeless Vets off the streets and do more to help out the Veterans that truly need it. There's no damn reason why an Active Duty Personnel or Reservist ought to be able to apply for food stamps - it's a damn shame really. As I country, I feel we don't do enough although I do have it on good authority that NBC Universal is partnering up with several organizations across the country with the Got Your Six campaign to help the Vets and Active Duty folks out more.

So no - we don't over glorify whatsoever. If someone has a problem with it, then take the time out of the day to write in a diary, journal, or political blog that no one is ever going to read. Meanwhile, the rest of us will enjoy giving thanks to the people in the military both past and present for their willing sacrifice for the betterment of this nation.
We oerglorify in the public media sphere, just not in real life. That's the contradiction of Americans. In public, we worshipthe military on TV, but don't give a crap about disabled and homeless vets at the same time. Well, the government doesn't really, the private citizen makes an effort to like the Wounded Warrior Project, but the government has the most resources to help them out. Private charity can only do so much, especially since things are very expensive here. I think the problem we have is, we praise and glorify the institution of the military too much, and not the enlisted men and women that make it happen

Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Yes. I've noticed it, I've even mentioned it at times risking wrath. Oh well.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:

If a vet does nothing for himself about being homeless, then what should we do? I don't want ANYONE to be homeless, not just Vets. But a lot of homeless (maybe even the majority) suffer from mental issues. This country simply isn't into spending money on mental health. We'd rather spend it on prisons when they do something REALLY bad. And truthfully, vets have more access to mental health facilities than most people do.

As far as food stamps, i would hope that no one would have to get on food stamps, but being a veteran doesn't shield someone from tough economic times....nor should it. If you're a Vet, you've gotta make the transition into civilian life...and do so successfully. There are programs to help you make that transition. That said, it's up to you to make yourself into a success.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,273 times
Quote:

You are conflating our FP with serving this nation. I am one of the most critical persons about our FP and military spending on this board, but I don't want to see our troops live a life of poverty.

While I certainly don't admire you, I pity you. You have been pawns of the political elite who have waged unjust wars and unnecessarily put your lives at risk while killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people.

I support things like the GI bill, the VA, and giving you proper education and training to return to the civilian workforce.

God Bless,

Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes. I've noticed it, I've even mentioned it at times risking wrath. Oh well.
Unfortunately in the US if you don't worship the military, you must be a pinko Commie bastard

Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
You are conflating our FP with serving this nation. I am one of the most critical persons about our FP and military spending on this board, but I don't want to see our troops live a life of poverty.
Not even sure what FP is. Can you elaborate please?

Quote:
While I certainly don't admire you, I pity you. You have been pawns of the political elite who have waged unjust wars and unnecessarily put your lives at risk while killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people.
Backhanded compliment, much? You're blowing my time in the military way out of proportion. You really have no idea what it's like to serve nor have you even done so. This quoted statement right here demonstrates that all to clearly for me. Honestly, it's not me who needs the pity - it's you since you don't have the right to even criticize me (or at least attempt to) the way that you are. Maybe I joined because of personal reasons and motivations, hmm? Or did that not come to your closed mind while you were spewing forth your ignorance?

Quote:
I support things like the GI bill, the VA, and giving you proper education and training to return to the civilian workforce.
As do I. I'm attending college currently, so yeah - I'm taking full advantage of the benefits I've *earned* through my years of service and sacrifice.

Quote:
God Bless,
I'm agnostic, but thanks I guess.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,273 times
Quote:
Not even sure what FP is. Can you elaborate please?
FP = Foreign Policy.

Quote:
Backhanded compliment, much? You're blowing my time in the military way out of proportion. You really have no idea what it's like to serve nor have you even done so. This quoted statement right here demonstrates that all to clearly for me. Honestly, it's not me who needs the pity - it's you since you don't have the right to even criticize me (or at least attempt to) the way that you are. Maybe I joined because of personal reasons and motivations, hmm? Or did that not come to your closed mind while you were spewing forth your ignorance?
I never complimented you and I certainly have the right to pity you. I understand that the military offers opportunity and that people join because of this rather than patriotism.

I am curious why you called me ignorant. If you could be so kind to elucidate me, I would be much appreciative. I am not closed minded. In fact, faced with the proper evidence or rhetoric, I will change my mind. However, you have offered neither, but you did offer personal attacks.

Please educate me.

Quote:
I'm agnostic, but thanks I guess.
I am an atheist. It was meant to be an expression, not a proclamation of a god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies