Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Seems that every public event (sports in particular) is required to include a tribute to the armed forces. Have we gone a bit overboard on this? Are we an overly militaristic culture?

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Yes, like you wouldn't believe.

We didn't always act this way. A lot of it comes from this nonsensical guilt trip that we mistreated Vietnam Vets (which isn't true), so now we have to overcompensate by saying that every damn thing about the military is good. WW2 vets didn't come home to a picnic either after all they'd seen in Europe and Asia.

As a vet, i can tell you that it's a load of bull. There are some good things about the military and veterans. But definitely not everything.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Yes.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
We're pretty enamoured of our military and all things military. I wonder if it is over-compensation? Most young men that I know have NO intention of enlisting or living the military lifestyle in any way, shape or form.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,069 times
Do we over-glorify our police and other first responders? Yes, maybe it's because the stupid people don't know how to protect themselves. The ignorant need to move to North Korea, Cuba, Red China or even Russia. The people their must be in love with their military.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 PM

768 posts, read 879,943 times
Yes. But people like fast things, explosions and loud noises. Glorification alone doesnt bother me, its the things it can lead to.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Givin the way this country was Born yes we a are Militaristic Culture.

Over-glorification always diminishes.

Yes-Nam Vets were trashed comparitively to vets of other wars and generations. Yes-America is acting out because of this guilt.

As a former Vet, it is wonderful to see the sea change though with regards to America's treatment of her Vet's even if it gets sickly sweet sometimes.

The biggest thing that has bothered me was how long it took to get the WWII Memorial built as so many past before it was finished.

Thank goodness thought there are organizations like this that helped get my Grandfather a Pacific Theater Navy Vet to see it before he passes.

Honor Flight Network

Old 12-29-2012, 01:13 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
Do we over-glorify our police and other first responders? Yes, maybe it's because the stupid people don't know how to protect themselves. The ignorant need to move to North Korea, Cuba, Red China or even Russia. The people their must be in love with their military.
Yeah!

Shame on those stupid people who didn't know how to protect themselves from the texter who ran a red light and T-Boned them, shame on them needing to be cut from their vehicle by the rescue squad.

Shame on those stupid people who didn't know how to protect themselves from the gas leak and required the fire department to help them exit their building.

Shame on those stupid people in the WTC who didn't know how to protect themselves from hijacked airliners and required the assistance of first responders who were going IN when everyone else was going out.

Perhaps it's you that needs to move to North Korea, etc.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
what happened to vietnam vets?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Givin the way this country was Born yes we a are Militaristic Culture.
Although many of the founding fathers were opposed to maintaining a standing army, a major reason the anti-federalists came up with the second amendment.

I'm very surprised at the number of yes's. I thought I'd be getting patriotic brick-bats by now for even broaching the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies