Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The only state of war we are in, is the one the Republicans created, to justify increasing military spending to make money for the rich defense contractors.
Actually, it was both Republicans and Democrats. In September 2001 the GOP controlled the House and Democrats controlled the Senate. It was Rep. Armey (R) who sponsored the bill in the House, and Sen. Daschle (D) who sponsored the bill in the Senate, and it passed with an overwhelming veto-proof majority. That was on September 18, 2001. As the National Defense Appropriations Act of 2011 recently reaffirmed under Section 1021, the US is still in a state of war under Public Law 107-40.

Last edited by Glitch; 01-02-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your plan to shutdown the armed forces would create a grave threat - since the US has many enemies. Or do you not believe that there are powerful and dangerous groups around the world that wish harm on us?
Shut down the armed forces? I don't think so. Who said anything about doing that. Have you heard about the F35 fighter program. Check it out. Think it is worth continuing? Billons saved right there. National Security will not be compromised.

H

Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, it was both Republicans and Democrats. In September 2001 the GOP controlled the House and Democrats controlled the Senate. It was Rep. Armey (R) who sponsored the bill in the House, and Sen. Daschle (D) who sponsored the bill in the Senate, and it passed with an overwhelming veto-proof majority. That was on September 18, 2001. As the National Defense Appropriations Act of 2011 recently reaffrimed under Section 1021, the US is still in a state of war under Public Law 107-40.

No matter, it's the Republican's fault!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
Actually, it was both Republicans and Democrats. In September 2001 the GOP controlled the House and Democrats controlled the Senate. It was Rep. Armey (R) who sponsored the bill in the House, and Sen. Daschle (D) who sponsored the bill in the Senate, and it passed with an overwhelming veto-proof majority. That was on September 18, 2001. As the National Defense Appropriations Act of 2011 recently reaffrimed under Section 1021, the US is still in a state of war under Public Law 107-40.
Yes I remember. I remember that any Congressman who didn't "support our troops" was labeled a traitor. Game over. If it was me and I had sold every vestige of self respect to live off the tithings of hard working taxpayers and maintain the manner to which by an electoral process... ... I would have voted for the wars as well. But I am not a Democratic Senator. However, I can empathize if not sympathize. A Conservative like yourself should be able to see it even more objectively. It is, however, convenient to remind us that the wars were sanctioned by Democrats. What about that Debt Ceiling, what about the Fiscal Cliff... isn't it annoying when your ideological opposites don't roll right over and capitulate? All the more so because you don't get to say "well she wanted it... "

Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Yes I remember. I remember that any Congressman who didn't "support our troops" was labeled a traitor. Game over. If it was me and I had sold every vestige of self respect to live off the tithings of hard working taxpayers and maintain the manner to which by an electoral process... ... I would have voted for the wars as well. But I am not a Democratic Senator. However, I can empathize if not sympathize. A Conservative like yourself should be able to see it even more objectively. It is, however, convenient to remind us that the wars were sanctioned by Democrats. What about that Debt Ceiling, what about the Fiscal Cliff... isn't it annoying when your ideological opposites don't roll right over and capitulate? All the more so because you don't get to say "well she wanted it... "
Obviously you do not remember. September 18, 2001, the date Public Law 107-40 was enacted, was before any of our troops was sent to Afghanistan, and 18 months before any of our troops were sent to Iraq.

The "fiscal cliff" was a media fabrication to instill fear and foreboding in the general public. The outcome was inevitiable, the Republicans caved to Democrat pressure to continue spending irresponsibly. The debt ceiling is similar to the fiscal cliff. It is just another means for Congress to try to explain to the people why they need to spend far more than we have and put future generations into serious debt.

If Democrats were honest, which we know they are not, they would tell the American people that they want to completely bankrupt the nation as quickly as possible because they vehemently hate everything about the United States of America, particularly the founding principles of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Your plan to shutdown the armed forces would create a grave threat - since the US has many enemies. Or do you not believe that there are powerful and dangerous groups around the world that wish harm on us?

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Give us more money for the military.

Keep spreading the fear. Thats the only thing you conservatives are good at.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,448,018 times
Quote:
If Democrats were honest, which we know they are not, they would tell the American people that they want to completely bankrupt the nation as quickly as possible because they vehemently hate everything about the United States of America, particularly the founding principles of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
I hear they support abortion to have babies to eat, too.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,448,018 times
Quote:
Great, let's focus on national defense, then, and cut/fully eliminate our armed forces scattered around the world.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch
Wow. Where do you even get such nonsense -- none of which is tethered to facts or reality?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I think the trend is changing on that issue. I see liberals these days admitting there is a spending problem. But they lay it all at the feet of the military. So they are still clueless about reality, since even if we spent nothing on the military the rising cost of entitlements would still bankrupt the nation. All that the military cuts they squawk about would do is delay the inevitable, it wouldn't actually solve the structural problems we have.
Liberals always want to cut the military, no matter what our spending and revenue levels are at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies