Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Based on the administration's anti-religious stance regarding Hobby Lobby covering abortion on its insurance coverage...

should the administration tell them when they can and can't be open - since it's for "religious" reasons that they are closed on Sunday?
I don't think the HL knows the difference between abortion and emergency contraception. Didn't we already have this discussion?

They must not know the difference between trying to control what medications their employee's receive and what business hours they choose to keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
In the case of contraception it is hobby lobby tiring to force it's view on it's employees. A day off on the other hand is no where near as invasive...now if hobby lobby required church attendance on Sunday then that again would be a issue. For the most part employers should not be dictating to employee's how they should behave outside of work hours and there are uses for the birth control pill that go beyond preventing pregnancy(not to mention the fact that pregnancy itself is not a good thing for all women).
If someone does not agree with Hobby Lobby and its birth control stance, don't work there.

Simple solution.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Based on the administration's anti-religious stance regarding Hobby Lobby covering abortion on its insurance coverage...

should the administration tell them when they can and can't be open - since it's for "religious" reasons that they are closed on Sunday?
Sad. You can't find a real example of people calling for this so you must go around begging for people to wish the Chick-filet must be required to open on Sundays....

Sorry, but nobody is calling for that.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
If someone does not agree with Hobby Lobby and its birth control stance, don't work there.

Simple solution.
Well, it doesn't quite work that way. Hobby Lobby lost their case in their quest to try and control the sex lives of their employees. It really wasn't about abortion - it was about the morning after pill and their insurance, blah blah blah.

So - right now - it's Hobby Lobby that is going to have to do all the adjusting.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:14 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
There used to be Blue laws about what could be open on Sunday and laws against the sell of alcohol on Sunday. Where I live there is a law against selling cars on Sunday but that is just to give the employees a day off. There are also laws setting minimum hours of operation for car dealers(but they are more about protecting the public...i.e. make sure someone does not label his car collecting hobby as a dealership).

Those laws for the most part all serve a purpose. However I would love to here him complain about some Muslim business being open Sunday but closed on Friday or a Jewish one being closed before Friday sun set, all day Saturday but open sunday...and what about the 7th day advocasts?
Yup. Liquor sales were banned here for decades. Not even beer could be sold on Sundays here. Bars were closed by law as well. For sure, when America was a hard drinking nation, those laws when written were serving a public function; restricting booze was one way to sober up the working man for a Monday's shift, and gave everyone a break from public disruption that comes from drinking.

Most barber shops and hair salons still close on Mondays. A local bakery does too. Many occupations that are open over a weekend close during the work week. Many others lock the doors but are available on-call.

If a business owner decides to close on Sundays so he can go to church, that's fine with me; if he requires his employees to go to church to get Sunday off, that's not fine. We all have freedom of religion and freedom from religion in equal measure. Believers can take whatever day of the week they choose to be observant, and if they choose to close their business, that's their right. if the owners of Chik-Fil-A require Sunday closure as a part of buying into their franchise, that's their right to do so. The franchisees understand that before they ever buy into the company. Chik-Fil-A can change this any time they want, and leave the decision whether to stay open or to close up to their franchisees. I doubt very much that McDonald's or any of the other fast food chains require their franchisees to stay open 7 days a week. For sure, I've seen many of them closed on Sundays.

I come from a ranching background; during the winter, none of us every got a day entirely free from work because our livestock had to be fed daily. There are many other occupations that require daily attendance, too. Hospitals are a big one, as is law enforcement, the travel industry, fire departments, heating gas technicians, and all the others that demand 24/7/365 for public health, safety, and the necessities of modern life.

Last edited by banjomike; 12-30-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
No.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No. If it were up to me, this whole damn nation would shut down on Sunday.Every single business except for emergency services.
I'd shut them down too.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:59 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:

They can choose to only be open on every other Tuesday, it's their damn store. Last i checked we did not live under a dictatorship.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Yes. And they should also be forced to host same-sex marriage ceremonies.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:39 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Don't be silly. Any business can set it's own hours with no restrictions. The government has never forced any business to stay open and never will.
3 years ago I coulda said:

Don't be silly. Any business can choose whether or not to offer health insurance. The government has never forced any business to provide insurance and never will.

Can't say that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies