Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am simply saying it would not bother me if I had to register my guns, and I have been asking why it should bother anyone, but no one has been able to answer.
That question has been answered dozens of time by dozens of people over the last couple of weeks.

Historically around the world confiscation has followed registration every time. There is no reason to expect it would be different in the US, especially when one party clearly wants to ban them. Once all the gun guns are (in theory) registered all it would take is a bad election cycle that puts the wrong party in control and confiscation will follow.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I bet that what they want as registration isn't what you say you have done in Florida. I just have to hope that enough people in Congress keep their wits about them to keep things like that from passing.
Why would it bother you if you had to register?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Historically around the world confiscation has followed registration every time. There is no reason to expect it would be different in the US, especially when one party clearly wants to ban them. Once all the gun guns are (in theory) registered all it would take is a bad election cycle that puts the wrong party in control and confiscation will follow.
Well, that is simply not true. There are dozens of countries where people register their guns, but they have not been banned, Swizerland for example.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I sign that form because it is required and no other kind of registration should be needed since my government has a copy of that form about each and every one of them. You are right that it is not a form of registration but what else do they need to find me and my guns?
That's all they would need, but no one has come asking for mine yet.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I was suprised to hear you say that your guns were "registered." In my state (WA) we do not register guns. The 4473 is supposed to be a background check, not a registration. That's why the law requires that NICS check (backrground check when you buy a gun) records are destroyed after, IIRC, 90 days.

FBI — Fact Sheet

I suspect that your guns are in fact not "registered," I don't know anything about FL law though--never have set foot in the state of FL.
Why do you think I clarified it yesterday, and then again today.

I said: "I don't know what constitutes "registeration", but every time I buy a new firearm, they take down the serial number, and call in for a background check. I call it "registeration" since the serial number is stored somewhere and associated with my name. Why should it bother me? I am a law abiding citizen, and have no criminal plans for my guns"

If you want to call the process of storing the serial numbers in a database, associated with your name something other that "registeration", then you can call it something else.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Well, that is simply not true. There are dozens of countries where people register their guns, but they have not been banned, Swizerland for example.
YEs, please, lets be EXACTLY like Switzerland....

Quote:
The neutral country has a tradition of a gun in every closet, and ranks amongst the highest levels of gun ownership in the world — with estimate of as many as 4.5 million guns in a country of just 7.9 million people (few countries have more guns per capita — the US and Yemen are two).
Read more: Switzerland's Gun Laws Are A Red Herring - Business Insider

Quote:
However, gun related crime is remarkably low, with only 24 gun murders in 2009
Read more:

Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
And exactly what percentage of people with 'grandfathered' guns will come forward to get fingerprinted and have their guns 'registered'?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That question has been answered dozens of time by dozens of people over the last couple of weeks.

This has already been clearly demonstrated in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia....
Do some research on
The Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

SO glad I joined the GWF in the early 90's!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
YEs, please, lets be EXACTLY like Switzerland....
Their laws are stricter than you think. Much stricter than what Feinstain is suggesting. For example those rifles they keep at home is cool, but people forget to mention they are not issued bullets for them. Also, concealed carry is practically impossible in Switzerland.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Why do you think I clarified it yesterday, and then again today.

I said: "I don't know what constitutes "registeration", but every time I buy a new firearm, they take down the serial number, and call in for a background check. I call it "registeration" since the serial number is stored somewhere and associated with my name. Why should it bother me? I am a law abiding citizen, and have no criminal plans for my guns"

If you want to call the process of storing the serial numbers in a database, associated with your name something other that "registeration", then you can call it something else.
Point taken. It appears to be de facto registration. When I read the ins and outs of the 4473 my eyes start to glaze over. Gun control groups insist that traces are being thwarted, while the NRA insists that legitimate traces are no problem. Over the years I've made sure to aquire a few guns that are 'off paper' just in case. These were purchased via private sale with no 4473 involved. I've got a NAA pocket gun, Ruger .22, a Glock 31, and AR, and the all-important M1A, all off-paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies