Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Unless a corporation puts a gun to your head and forces you to work there, I don't see any problem.

The loony left wants to point a gun at the employer's head and force them to make their employees drive Ferrari's and live in mansions.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Unless a corporation puts a gun to your head and forces you to work there, I don't see any problem.
True.

And if Airline A treats employees badly, then Airline B and Airline C will come along and offer a better deal for employess. The good employess from A will leave for B and C. That leaves Airline A with "dead-weight" for employees and less profit while B and C make a killing.

Of course, smart business people know this and avoid it by paying a fair wage in the first place.

Which is why most of these stories about employee mistreatment are just that. Stories.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
I don't buy that flight attendants aren't paid for the "greeting, seating and stuffing the overhead bins" portion of the work period. The Fair Labor Standards Act is clear that this is work time and compensable. Maybe they're regulated by a different provision, but I can't imagine them not being paid for this.

If someone knows this to be true, I'd love to know how and why.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
You don't see a problem with mistreating people just because you're not putting a gun to their heads? So can i just come up and slap the hell out of you just because i know you won't do anything about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No one whom I associate with would be happy driving such flashy cars or in living in such big houses. They prefer Ford's and Chevy's and ramblers/apartments/condo's.

I guess that is your standard of living.

Do you want to force every employer to pay people enough to meet that standard?
If necessary, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They don't have to. The glut of people waiting to take your place along with the pile of bills you have to pay each month is all that is needed.

People have put themselves into this position, living beyond their means and having no savings to fall back on.
So that makes it right to mistreat people? Is that your argument? Take advantage of people that aren't as well off as you just because they're under financial duress (like most Americans)?

You're slowly but surely saying that mistreating these people is the right thing to do because you can, you just won't come right out and say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
FAA.

Unless your "company" is in the smuggling business it's not using "commuter flights" that are "off the grid".

I've puddle jumped over the grapevine from Bakersfield to LA a few times. It's just not that scary.
The hell it isn't. No, it isn't ALWAYS scary, but we haven't always had a good record with commuter flights. In fact, there was a time in the 90's when it was quite dangerous to do so.

And when i say "off the grid", i don't mean that they're going guerrilla. I mean that they're flying some pretty long hours without sufficient rest. And commuter pilots are paid notoriously poor wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
True.

And if Airline A treats employees badly, then Airline B and Airline C will come along and offer a better deal for employess. The good employess from A will leave for B and C. That leaves Airline A with "dead-weight" for employees and less profit while B and C make a killing.

Of course, smart business people know this and avoid it by paying a fair wage in the first place.

Which is why most of these stories about employee mistreatment are just that. Stories.
True on the first emboldened sentence, which is my point in the first place.

Complete bullocks on your second sentence, and you know it.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
....and another one.

SMH....Again, when did Americans start taking such an attitude about their fellow workers? Why not just treat these people fairly in the first place? Isn't that also an option?

Damn.
I liken it to the Stockholm Syndrome. It's the same reason the poor will vote against their own self interests. Craziness.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
The hell it isn't. No, it isn't ALWAYS scary, but we haven't always had a good record with commuter flights. In fact, there was a time in the 90's when it was quite dangerous to do so.
Well pucker up or get a new job?

I love to fly and want a window seat.

Thank goodness for the FAA keeping us safe.

Quote:
And when i say "off the grid", i don't mean that they're going guerrilla. I mean that they're flying some pretty long hours without sufficient rest. And commuter pilots are paid notoriously poor wages.
Got your own unique definition there don't ya?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
So that makes it right to mistreat people? Is that your argument? Take advantage of people that aren't as well off as you just because they're under financial duress (like most Americans)?

You're slowly but surely saying that mistreating these people is the right thing to do because you can, you just won't come right out and say it.
No, I am no way condoning it at all. But employers have the upper hand here and are taking advantage.
And it's not just airlines.

Walmart got sued because they had workers clocking out before cleaning up.

You absolutely have to know and understand your rights as a worker.
Just a few months ago I gave my son hell because he told me he did just that at his job..clocked out and then his manager asked him to do something workwise and he did it. He didn't think anything of it either. Then again, he's young, in college and not well versed in the employment world. He knows better now though. You NEVER work off the clock, NEVER with no exception, no matter how nice your manager is.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:

True on the first emboldened sentence, which is my point in the first place.

Complete bullocks on your second sentence, and you know it.
There's a difference between employee mistreatment and employee claiming mistreatment, and you know it.

If an employer mistreats employees then the good employees will leave and the the employer will be out of business. And everyone wins.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post

Thank goodness for the FAA keeping us safe.
lols.

Airlines keep us safe. Not the FAA.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, I am no way condoning it at all. But employers have the upper hand here and are taking advantage.
And it's not just airlines.

Walmart got sued because they had workers clocking out before cleaning up.

You absolutely have to know and understand your rights as a worker.
Just a few months ago I gave my son hell because he told me he did just that at his job..clocked out and then his manager asked him to do something workwise and he did it. He didn't think anything of it either. Then again, he's young, in college and not well versed in the employment world. He knows better now though. You NEVER work off the clock, NEVER with no exception, no matter how nice your manager is.
Bingo !

I've known people that expect Human Resources to let them know their rights. lols. So naive, so naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies