U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM

16,222 posts, read 9,026,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
He would have been a perfect fit for Samuel Jackson's role in the movie.
I thought the same thing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
No, we will never know, but as a whole we are supposed to be on a level playing field and for the most part we are. It is difficult to single out and do anything about single incidents of discrimination, difficult to prove.The problem is, many blacks have not taken advantage of the opportunities given them and choose to use the system as a way of life, rather than a building block to a worthwhile education and good job. As I observe the black underclass in my community, I often think, don't you want more out of life than just hangin in da hood, slingin drugs, etc. I don't get why the improvment has been so slow, it was what was wanted when the civil rights movment started, but has been slow to proceed to a point of equality, opportunity is there, but many choose to keep on playing the victim. Funny, but the ones who chose not to improve their situation and continue to play victim and blame white society for all of their problems, are their own worst enemy and too blind to see it. I fear it will be several generations before things change or self destruct.
Sorry for the rant, but since you brought up ''the plight of blacks'' I thought I'd add my 2 cents.
Just wanted to add that most blacks have taken advantage of opportunities afforded to us post civil rights. The turn around in regards to income and education has actually been pretty astounding when you view the turn around in terms of generations. Within 1 generation the poverty level of blacks in this country was cut in half and the number of college graduates has grown two fold.

Many white people play the victim. Many people of all demographics in this country play the victim. Many white people are content to live poor, on foodstamps/welfare, in trailer parks, getting high on meth/making meth and dealing drugs and getting drunk. White people use drugs and alcohol more than black people in this country. And they blame "the man" and "the government" and "the blacks" for all their problems. There will always be those amongst us like this. They are losers basically and one cannot change a loser unless they want to change.

And FWIW I live in "da hood" and most of the people I know are not content to live where they live and most are in school trying to better their lot. I do notice the bums and the beggars and the complaining losers, but there are less of them than those black people who are minding their business and living regular lives and trying to make their financial, educational, and housing situation better than it is at the present. You may not see them because they are in their homes and keep their kids in the house to keep them out of trouble and live regular boring lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You know, with blacks only about 12% of the population and less in the work force, what do you expect? Do you know not one black person has come in for an interview where I work in the last year or more, WHY? Whats the problem? Afraid to work with white guy's? So please tell me what are the chances of a black person being the interviewer anywhere? You expect the impossible!
Funny but I could say the same thing about hispanics in my own company and whites. I live in a majority black city and I'd say about 98% of my interviewees are black and nothing else. We hired an Asian guy a year and a half ago but had to do an extensive search for him (we needed someone who spoke Korean). Around that time, I also hired a white lady who spoke Russian, no white interviewees since then and we did an extensive search for her as well. We haven't had him an hispanic interviewee in about 2 years even though they have a reputation for "working hard" and wanting to work and we have a large hispanic population here. But I don't see that as a reason to denigrade hispanics and speak ill of them like they don't want to work with black/white or whatever sort of people.

Wanted to also mention it is too bad you are falling in line with the crazy in this thread. Usually you aren't so....prejudicial in your responses.

It depends on where you live and the reputation of your company in regards to demographics of potential employees. Also what you pay your workers. No one wants to get paid a crappy wage and I don't blame them. (ETA: the wage portion was not in regards to the poster above's company. I know that in my own company we don't pay our lower level people much money and I am certain that is the reason why we don't have more varied interviewees. That and because we are not a major player in this area yet. For managers and higher level employees we pay more and when we have done searches for these positions we do get white people to respond but usually we hire a black person because they have more of the experience we are looking for or are more qualified and can pass a drug test. We did a search for some employees outside of the major metro area here and they were all white about 2 years ago and I kid you not, but none of them passed the drug screening - meth is a major problem here in GA and I didn't believe it until we were looking for employees for those locations. We ended up having to bring some black people to those properties to work - put them in a hotel, help them find a place to live and pay them a whole lot more money because of the undesirable communities they had to work/live in. We hired a hispanic housekeeper for those areas and that was the last hispanic worker we hired). Funny because we actually try to go out of our way to hire a white person. The last white guy we hired was fought for by our black director and honestly I feel we should have went with the black contender who was next in line for the job - he had more direct experience for the position and the white guy is not working out all that great IMO - he doesn't know how to do a lot of tasks involved with his job office-wise and is not very computer literate. It is hard to get fired from my company though unless you do something crazy so he is in here until he decides to leave, mostly because the director felt we needed some more white guys lol.)

Last edited by residinghere2007; 01-02-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 AM

397 posts, read 225,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
Quit playing the victim.
I see you have the usual attack lines well rehearsed. That comes from years of defending charges of racism no doubt.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM

14,888 posts, read 8,676,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
I just want you and your bunch to admit it. You have advantages handed to you. Just say it and I will bring in the horn section of my offense.
Who is "you and your bunch"? Who is this magical group of privileged people who had advantages handed to them?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
They'll never admit that lol. I totally understand your point but reality is different and they'll never let the car outta the bag
They understand it too. I'm not fooled for one minute when deflection or outright denial of even understanding the question is used to keep the secret hidden

Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM

32,525 posts, read 32,932,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Here's the thing...

If you have beef with black folks, then claim that enmity as your own and stop using black folks to speak for you. Jesse Lee Peterson might help you confirm beliefs that you already had, but he's not gonna help you convince black folks that you're right. Using a black man as your proxy is weak. Be your own man and step to black folks with your own version of hostility and let the chips fall where they fall if you're just bound and determined to be stupid about it.

Besides, where do you think this is gonna lead? I'm a black man, and i'll listen to your concerns. If i'm wrong, then i'm wrong. But if you come at me in the fashion that Jesse Lee Peterson is exhorting you to do, there's gonna be a serious problem. Moreover, i'm gonna double the same hostility you showed me. Ignore Jesse Lee Peterson....he's gonna get you nowhere.

I mean seriously, if you tell me that i look at Obama as the Messiah, i'm gonna tell you to get the hell out of my face and those will be the last words we'll ever have with each other.
Are you going to respond to this OP?

You start a lot of threads. But you never respond to posters who challenge you. Unless it's a one or two word response to say something like "ridiculous".

You do a good job of using this forum to promote your own beliefs. You manage to come thisclose to insulting everyone you don't like or are afraid of. But you never respond to legitimate challenges. You make your own threads worthless and meaningless except for a vessel to promote yourself. Meh. Don't particularly care what some burnt-out old guy behind a computer has to say if he has nothing to say to those who challenge him. The threads become nothing but rants. And rants are a waste. Nothing constructive, nothing good, nothing positive ever resulted from a foot-stomping rant.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
lol "cat out of the bag"....

So, now white people are the only ones who mask their true feelings and intentions????

lmao.....please, somebody tell me... how does that work?
No one said that and you know it. Just admit that you have been told certain things and giving opportunities that a Black man would not have access to and I will move in for the strike

Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Who is "you and your bunch"? Who is this magical group of privileged people who had advantages handed to them?
You know them as the tea party. Rightwing, GOP hardliners....etc.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,345,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Getting a white person to admit that they benefit from white privilege is like asking a prostitute to give you a free go-round. Not happening.

What is interesting is that benefiting from white privilege is not necessarily a bad thing. In many instances, you don't ask for the help, you might not need the help and you might be upset that *white privilege* even exists. But to ignore that it is real (and that you voluntarily or not) benefit from it is...strange.
Then there is black privilege as well....

If what you are trying to argue is that there is such thing as "preference"...Only a fool would argue that.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM

25,515 posts, read 13,024,134 times
Quote:
You know them as the tea party. Rightwing, GOP hardliners....etc.
You have been brain washed . Did you know that their are many poor white people.. so where is their privilege?

You know not what you speak of. Their are poor in every race.

So you believe your pigment in your skin dictates what you will become. Look around you and see many in ALL races can become a success in life. We are all created in God's image and that no one can take that gift from any person born.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,345,164 times
Quote:
No one said that and you know it. Just admit that you have been told certain things and giving opportunities that a Black man would not have access to and I will move in for the strike
What certain things?? You seem to know of them better than I do.

I mean, my Dad loaned me $5,000 for a business venture once. Is that a white privilege? I'm sorry that my dad wasn't black. Please, at anytime, feel free to make a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.