Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Quite the little commie, aren't we?

Quick question for ya - where exactly is the money coming from? If folks get it, it must be taken from someone. Those "someones" will soon stop working, when they realize that they are working hard, to just have their money turned over to the takers.

I worked for a women once that truly believed this was the perfect scenario. She thought everyone should "share" the fruits of societies labors. Then people like herself, that just liked to lay around all day could be supported by folks like myself and my husband, who "loved to work". She was shocked when I told her that would last about a day, until we decided to stop working to support her lazy rear. She really could not comprehend the problem. She truly believed that some people just loved to work hard for giggles, I guess.
Yes! There are people who believe others enjoy working 60 hours and giving up their earnings to lazy loungers like that woman. They are narcissists who don't care about others' feelings or needs. They are the entitled and they are freaks. Many men complain about a lot of young women being that way now.

Someone put those ideas in their head, it was an unheard of mentality when I was growing up. There were lazy people for sure, but they knew they were lazy and that no one liked them.

Some of the things I have been expected to do for others because "I'm good at it" are amazing. If I do a good job washing my car, I'm supposed to wash the narcissist's car too, because I did such a good job on mine, I must love doing it. That is a REAL mentality. I have a clean house so I should clean their house because darn it, I got talent. I work hard, so I must love it and they don't like working, so they shouldn't have to and I should just work harder.

The mentality of entitlement is a learned mental illness. They belong in the looney bin where they have to wash cars and dishes all day even if they are really bad at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times
Quote:
Quite the little commie, aren't we?
Personal attacks. Your "argument" is solid. It's sad and funny, because you would not know Communism if it were all around you.

Quote:
Yup, you've got us all figured out. We hate people, and want poor people to DIE. Explain to me then why conservatives donate more to charity than liberals?
What a failed argument. Go look in any thread in which this was brought up to show why your arguments are weak.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Default How are companies allowed to pay such low wages that their workers need Food Stamps? Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Katiana[/b];27592549]A full time minimum wage job pays $14,500/year! Even with two wage earners, that is $29,000/year for a family. And keep in mind many minimum wage jobs are NOT full time, even if the employee has the desire to work F/T. Many also pay no benefits. Live within their means? Maybe they should pitch a tent in a state park or something?
You still don't get it! When minimum wage rates are raised, the companies that have to hire people and pay those wages have to raise the cost of their goods to stay in business. How hard is that to understand? When that happens, you are right back where you started, not being able to afford all the stuff you think you need. Believe it or not, companies that hire workers and make products or provide services are allowed to make a profit. Who's fault is it that you are stuck in a minimum wage job, the guy who lives across the street from you, or you, yourself? It's damn sure not the fault of the company that pays you a wage. Who's fault is it you didn't choose to go to college and become a doctor, lawyer, or some other high paying job? Don't use the excuse you couldn't afford it, because millions of people do afford it. Millions of people get their butts out of bed every morning and make something of themselves, however, there are also those who do not. As you well know. They settle for minimum wage jobs and complain about it...

Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Just wait until October when they have to get health insurance and have no money for that.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Default How are companies allowed to pay such low wages that their workers need Food Stamps? Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Have you ever heard that there are many many people out there that just are not intelligent enough to do anything but the most basic of tasks????? Well, let me tell you this, there are millions of them. What you are calling an entry level job may very well be the highest level these folks will ever attain. That being the truth, I say that you are wrong and every full time job should provide a "Living Wage". Many of these people are excellent workers and make great employees.

It's nothing but stinginess and greed that prevents paying a living wage to anyone. I personally am very liberal and it bugs the life out of me to see people working full time that don't make a living wage. Because, you know what happens? These workers are entitled to all kinds of social programmes because of their low income level and in effect it's the tax payers who are subsidizing this tight fisted employer who, by the way may take millions of dollars a year out of the firm in wages and perks.

In the way I look at it, if a job can't pay a living wage to it's lowest paid employee, the business is NOT VIABLE. It's nothing but a exploitation machine and not a business at all.
Hey, it's time you wake up! This isn't the Soviet Union or Communist China, it's the United States of American. These tight 'fisted employers' own the company, they can damn well take out what wages they want and it is not your business, nor is it anyone else's. Be thankful they haven't moved off shore and are still willing to hire and pay wages. Many people are not worth the minimum wage they are paid, is that fair the the employer? A living wage for one person may not be a living wage for another, it all depends on how people spend their money and what they think they need to live on. Most of your post makes no sense...

In your infinite wisdom remember one thing: there are twenty four hours in a day, there is no law that says you may work only 8 hours in any given day. You can work two jobs if you are too dumb to get a higher paying job, most employers don't just put in an 8 hour shift and go home.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 01-03-2013 at 03:51 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
I don't recall minimum wage jobs ever being "living wage". We worked those in high school and even then some of us became managers and made above that. Still none of those people expected to live off those jobs forever unless they were higher level managers. Where is the idea coming from that these jobs are even supposed to sustain people, and people with families, for life?
No way, ever, should two poor people living on minimum wage go and have kids, that is just beyond irresponsible. Even one of the downtrodden characters in Michael Moore's documentary said poor marrying poor is just a bad deal.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't recall minimum wage jobs ever being "living wage". We worked those in high school and even then some of us became managers and made above that. Still none of those people expected to live off those jobs forever unless they were higher level managers. Where is the idea coming from that these jobs are even supposed to sustain people, and people with families, for life?
No way, ever, should two poor people living on minimum wage go and have kids, that is just beyond irresponsible. Even one of the downtrodden characters in Michael Moore's documentary said poor marrying poor is just a bad deal.
That should tell you how much we have lowered the bar on the expectation of the American worker.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
" How are companies allowed to pay such low wages that their workers need Food Stamps?"

How do so many are allowed to pay no Federal Income Tax making the rest pay more that they otherwise wouldn't have to?

Let everyone pay their part.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Talk about demeaning to the recipient. (I am not referring to people who work for tips, mind you.) This is a variant of a response that a lot of RWs give to concerns about people not being able to afford health care, etc. They'll say "well, then YOU pay for someone's surgery, etc". Sorry, that just doesn't fly in my book.
Obamacare takes care of that....no worries

Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You still don't get it! When minimum wage rates are raised, the companies that have to hire people and pay those wages have to raise the cost of their goods to stay in business. How hard is that to understand? When that happens, you are right back where you started, not being able to afford all the stuff you think you need. Believe it or not, companies that hire workers and make products or provide services are allowed to make a profit. Who's fault is it that you are stuck in a minimum wage job, the guy who lives across the street from you, or you, yourself? It's damn sure not the fault of the company that pays you a wage. Who's fault is it you didn't choose to go to college and become a doctor, lawyer, or some other high paying job? Don't use the excuse you couldn't afford it, because millions of people do afford it. Millions of people get their butts out of bed every morning and make something of themselves, however, there are also those who do not. As you well know. They settle for minimum wage jobs and complain about it...
Actually, worse, because the rest of us have to scale back too. The minimum wage worker can't afford any more than they did before and neither can we. People don't get this. If you want businesses to pay more than minimum wage, then you need to pay more for goods and services BUT so will the person making the now higher minimum wage. So no one gets ahead here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies