Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Yaaa and I have some land in south florida that is not a swamp to sell you. LOL
Unchain your ignorance.
When Django and a number of slaves are being transported across the country, the Brothers are confronted by Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), a German bounty hunter who uses his former profession as a dentist as a cover. Schultz frees Django and kills one of the Speck brothers, leaving the other trapped. He reveals that he sought out Django because Django can identify the Brittle brothers, a band of ruthless killers with a price on their heads. Schultz and Django come to an agreement: in exchange for helping locate the Brittle brothers, Schultz will free Django from slavery and help him rescue Broomhilda from Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), a plantation owner who is as charming as he is brutal. On his plantation, Candyland, male slaves are trained to fight to the death for sport, while female slaves are forced into prostitution. Django agrees, and the two go after Candie and the Brittle gang.

The plan goes awry when Candie's head slave Stephen (Samuel L. Jackson), who is as racist as his white entourage, realizes that Schultz and Django are more interested in Broomhilda than purchasing a fighter. Correctly deducing that Django and Broomhilda are husband and wife, Stephen informs Candie, who, armed with this information, demands $12,000 for Broomhilda or else he will kill her in front of Django.
Django Unchained - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:20 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I think as a general rule, whenever you wind up siding with Spike Lee....you are likely being an idiot.

NAACP image awards are generally decent however they do have a couple turds now and then. (who doesn't?)
I think the big award they gave the BET founder was one of them.....although BET has somewhat cleaned up it's act....it used to be about just slightly more classy than MTV is now. Quite an image.

P.S. The movie is up for a lot of other awards too. Tarantino isn't for everyone but he is a very good director and the cast is talent-laden.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM

438 posts, read 946,753 times
I don't think the use of the "n" word makes Tarantino or the movie racist. That's probably the only historically accurate part of the film. I don't think the movie was "anti-white" either.
But I think the movie is full of stereotypes. "Black men solve problems with violence" "All Southern men supported or engaged in slavery" "Women are powerless and need men to rescue them" They even gave Dicaprio really bad teeth and made him overly affectionate with his sister. Was that necesary?
I enjoyed the movie anyway, mostly because I love Waltz, but it could have been done better.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Spike lee is one of the worst directors I have ever seen. So they want to give the kill white guy movie an Award. LOL I guess their true colors are coming out.
It's kill the White slave owner movie, apparently that offends you

Old 12-31-2012, 11:25 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
I don't think the use of the "n" word makes Tarantino or the movie racist. That's probably the only historically accurate part of the film. I don't think the movie was "anti-white" either.
But I think the movie is full of stereotypes. "Black men solve problems with violence" "All Southern men supported or engaged in slavery" "Women are powerless and need men to rescue them" They even gave Dicaprio really bad teeth and made him overly affectionate with his sister. Was that necesary?
I enjoyed the movie anyway, mostly because I love Waltz, but it could have been done better.
If that word wasn't used, then the movie would not be real.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Django Unchained--the most controversial film ever in the history of the universe!!

Well, the most controversial film on City-Data at least for the past two weeks...

How many of these damn threads are we going to have?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:32 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
The movie is not anti-white. One of the heroes is white, and one of the main bad guys is black.

It is anti-Southern white slaveholder, much in the same way most World War II movies are not anti-white, just anti-Nazi and anti-fascist.

I guess shrill conservatives whine about most World War II movies that depict Nazis as the bad guys, calling the films "anti-white". It is finally confirmed: conservatism is a deep mental dysfunction.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
But I think the movie is full of stereotypes. "Black men solve problems with violence"
You lose me here. How else were slaves supposed to get out of their situation? Wait for Lincoln to come rescue them?

Quote:
"All Southern men supported or engaged in slavery"
The movie didn't perpetuate that? Many whites were heroic or neutral in terms of how they dealt with slavery.

Quote:
"Women are powerless and need men to rescue them"
Kerry Washington's character was a slave. I'd say she was pretty damn powerless.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
I think it's all part of Tarantino's over-the-top style.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Spike lee is one of the worst directors I have ever seen. So they want to give the kill white guy movie an Award. LOL I guess their true colors are coming out.
Speaking of "true colors."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This. I think a lot of people criticizing this movie haven't actually seen it. I did see it and while I wasn't impressed by it, I don't think it was anti-white.
Spike Lee even admitted to now seeing it. And you're right, nothing anti-white about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
It is hard for me to not be a fan of Quentin Tarantino's movies. Historical accuracy, or rather the ridiculous lack thereof, is not his forte.. He does not make documentaries, just vivid gore and plenty of violence. So, as long as people know the movie is inaccurate and unrealistic let the cast and director rake in the awards and make money, that is the point of making movies after all.
"Ridiculous lack thereof?" I mean, most autobiographical films aren't even accurate historically, so there is no sense in expecting a Tarantino "pseudo Spaghetti Western set in the South" film to be accurate when it's not even depicting real people.

At the end of the day, you're right though. The whole point is to watch the damn move...nothing more, nothing less. Tarantino isn't attempting to save the world or enlighten anyone with this movie. It's really a halfass comedy IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
First I've ever heard of NAACP awards. Are they up there with Emmy and Oscar awards now ?
Depends on the regard in which you hold the Emmy and Oscar. I hold neither award in any esteem myself. I hate award shows, and couldn't care less about any of them.

The NAACP Awards have been around a long ass time though...since 1967, and is considered a coveted award. Take that for what it's worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Yeah, 'cause dem white peoples awards ain't good 'nuf.
Meh..you're free to see it that way, but that's bullocks.

There was a time when blacks weren't rewarded with the standard Hollywood awards in any real numbers, and they felt ignored. So they took the bull by the horns and decided to recognize themselves. So...in your book, this is a BAD thing? Of course, times have changed, but why should blacks get rid of their ceremonies just because white folks decided to come around?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think as a general rule, whenever you wind up siding with Spike Lee....you are likely being an idiot.

NAACP image awards are generally decent however they do have a couple turds now and then. (who doesn't?)
I think the big award they gave the BET founder was one of them.....although BET has somewhat cleaned up it's act....it used to be about just slightly more classy than MTV is now. Quite an image.

P.S. The movie is up for a lot of other awards too. Tarantino isn't for everyone but he is a very good director and the cast is talent-laden.
I agree with Spike Lee quite often, just not in this case. Maybe that makes me an idiot, but he's got something to say just like everyone else.

Yes, he can be an ass from time to time. But Spike will be Spike, and that's cool with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-SSiPP View Post
If that word wasn't used, then the movie would not be real.
Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think it's all part of Tarantino's over-the-top style.
Pretty much. Lotta blood and gore...which i love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies