Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government stay out of marriage?
Yes 57 80.28%
No 14 19.72%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
As soon as the government gets out of the marriage business and stops giving special preferred treatment to married couples.

BTW, I'm not married.

So you dont believe a married couple should have the automatic right to make medical decisions on the others behalf, not pay inheritance tax on joint assests, not have custodial rights and responsibilities to children born within the marriage, not be entitled to insurance coverage, ss, veterans benefits?

BTW, i'm not married either.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont understand all the complaining. If you dont like government sanctioned marriage, dont get married.
I take it that you didn't provide a complete list of reasons why you feel government should control marriage. Beyond the three I derived off your post, what did you leave out?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So you dont believe a married couple should have the automatic right to make medical decisions on the others behalf, not pay inheritance tax on joint assests, not have custodial rights and responsibilities to children born within the marriage, not be entitled to insurance coverage, ss, veterans benefits?

BTW, i'm not married either.
I believe a married couple should not be given special tax rates and special tax deductions, and should not have the option of filing "jointly." To do so is to give special favorable treatment to married people at the expense of those who are not married. With the rest of that stuff, people can freely choose to do most of it, married or not. Veterans' benefits should be restricted to our veterans, they've earned it. No one should have 'automatic" right to make medical decisions on someone else's behalf except by mutual prior agreement in a living will.

Frankly, if all this stuff is why you want to get married, you're getting married for the wrong reasons. Which is why government should just get out of the subject. These days people marry for material reasons, not in order to build a loving family relationship. And so we end up with a high divorce rate, where divorce ALSO offers a set of unique material advantages. In the meantime, there are people out there who DO want to build a loving family relationship but are not allowed to "get married" because of some arbitrary gender rule that someone else wants to apply to them because they feel threatened.

Such is the wonderfulness and stability government involvement has brought to the institution of marriage.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
As soon as the government gets out of the marriage business and stops giving special preferred treatment to married couples.

BTW, I'm not married.
It's no surprise that most of those supporting government involvement in marriage, as well as private lives, are female. They marry for their own benefit.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
What's the problem if it's two women? Does this bother you or something?

Stop giving the government power to decide how others live their lives. Because one of these days government will tell you how to live your life too. And you're not going to like it. And you'll probably start going on about how government shouldn't tell people how to live their lives.
The government has a duty to keep the law, defend the nation, and defend moral standards. Sorry.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The government has a duty to keep the law, defend the nation, and defend moral standards. Sorry.
And where in the Constitution does it mention these moral standards?

Sorry.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
And where in the Constitution does it mention these moral standards?

Sorry.
Defending moral standards is a part of promoting general welfare of the nation.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Defending moral standards is a part of promoting general welfare of the nation.
Not even close.

The first instance of "Promoting the general wellfare" appears in the Preamble and therefore confers no legislative power to the federal government.

The second instance of the phrase is currently interpreted using the "Hamiltonian View" which basically means it's a qualifier of taxing power.

P.S. If the Federal Government decides it does have the right to force moral standards on people, you'd really better hope they're your standards and not someone else's. Otherwise I think you'll be a VERY unhappy camper...

Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
If the Federal Government decides it does have the right to force moral standards on people, you'd really better hope they're your standards and not someone else's. Otherwise I think you'll be a VERY unhappy camper...
I am talking about the same standards this country was founded upon, and the same standards we have embraced since the beginning. I believe the government has a duty to defend American values. Those who are not happy with the American values, can leave and find other values elsewhere. I hear Holland is a fine country.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I am talking about the same standards this country was founded upon, and the same standards we have embraced since the beginning. I believe the government has a duty to defend American values. Those who are not happy with the American values, can leave and find other values elsewhere. I hear Holland is a fine country.
Last I checked this country was founded upon freedom from an overintrusive government. Didn't know that we actually fought that whole revolution thing just to make sure marriage would always be the Protestant Biblical definition of it and no other would be allowed ever. [/sarcasm]

Then again, if that's what was intended, maybe they would have put that in the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies