Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 01:20 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
I agree. Then turn around and make the lesbian couple pay him child support.
Kansas uses a "best interest of the child" standard and I sincerely doubt anyone would remove the child from whichever mother gets custody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Kansas uses a "best interest of the child" standard and I sincerely doubt anyone would remove the child from whichever mother gets custody.
I don't know. One of my family members is a divorce/criminal attorney and we were discussing this case yesterday evening at dinner and he told me the environment of the household does come into play for the best interest of the child like you said. But the lesbian couple DID break up so you have to factor in if it was a violent relationship, etc. Of course I haven't read what the sperm donors status is financially or if he is in a heterosexual relationship. Never the less, stability is the key and since the guy is the biological father, he could go for custody. This case could drag on for a while.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I agree. And it would be pretty obvious what his motives would be when he previously had no interest in the child to suddenly want custody when he was under threat of having to pay support. I'm sure the courts would see through that in a heartbeat.

It sure pisses me off, though, that some people actually advocate for that scenario in the first place, with no regard to what was best for the baby.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:35 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
For spite?

Not because he thinks he can provide a better home but just to throw a temper tantrum about having gotten caught up in something that was beyond the lesbian couple's control?

Is it really all about money with you? And not about what's best for the child. After all, let's just rip her away from the parents she knows and stick her with some a-hole who has no relationship with her and no bond with her and who is a perfect stranger to her (not to say the donor is an a-hole - just the idiots who think that he should sue for custody for no other reason than to try to get out of paying child support).

Disgusting.

if he is made to pay child support, then he should have rqual access to the child too. he should also be allowed to sue for custody as well if that is what is best for the child. who knows, maybe the mom is a coke head and should not have custody of the child in the 1st place.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
who knows, maybe the mom is a coke head and should not have custody of the child in the 1st place.
And maybe pigs fly.

If he has had no interest in the child and her living situation prior to being sued for support, why should the court assume he has her best interest at heart if he suddenly decides he wants custody once he finds out he may have to pay support?

Hopefully that stupid and spiteful scenario is only in your imagination.

Also, FYI, in my state (Washington), support and custody/visitation issues have zero to do with the other. Just because a non-custodial parent pays support does NOT automatically mean that parent has equal right to custody or even visitation. And if there is a parenting plan granting a non-custodial parent visitation, if that parent stops paying support, the custodial parent can NOT refuse to allow visitation. That would be a contempt of court charge.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
And maybe pigs fly.

If he has had no interest in the child and her living situation prior to being sued for support, why should the court assume he has her best interest at heart if he suddenly decides he wants custody once he finds out he may have to pay support?

Hopefully that stupid and spiteful scenario is only in your imagination.

if he is forced to pay child support, then maybe he will take interest in HIS child.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
if I was the man and was being forced in this situation to pay child support, then I would also file for custody of the child as well.
Quote:
I agree. Then turn around and make the lesbian couple pay him child support.
The child is not a piece of property.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
I don't know. One of my family members is a divorce/criminal attorney and we were discussing this case yesterday evening at dinner and he told me the environment of the household does come into play for the best interest of the child like you said. But the lesbian couple DID break up so you have to factor in if it was a violent relationship, etc. Of course I haven't read what the sperm donors status is financially or if he is in a heterosexual relationship. Never the less, stability is the key and since the guy is the biological father, he could go for custody. This case could drag on for a while.
It can get quite involved. It's all a big IF though.

Just taking a 3 year old from the only parents she's ever known sounds like a big burden to overcome.

So just balancing it in my head I don't see it happening. But I guess stranger things have happened, unfortunately.

And I'm not going to assume either of the women is unfit.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
if he is forced to pay child support, then maybe he will take interest in HIS child.
Why? What would the money have to do with anything?

Are you saying children have a dollar value? That as long as you don't have to pay for them, it's out of sight, out of mind? But once you have to cough up a few bucks, then you are going to demand something in return, even if that totally disrupts a child's life?

Nice.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Why? What would the money have to do with anything?

Are you saying children have a dollar value? That as long as you don't have to pay for them, it's out of sight, out of mind? But once you have to cough up a few bucks, then you are going to demand something in return, even if that totally disrupts a child's life?

Nice.

I didnt say that you did. the father of the sperm is the man in this case. I dont think he should have t pay 1 dime. the other half of the lesbian relationship should.

but if the male half gets ordered to pay child support, then the male half should also have equal access to the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies