Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Apparently President Obama hurt the feelings Republican House members during his "fiscal cliff" press conference leading some to say that his remarks about Congress threaten to scuttle the deal. Eric Cantor's spokesperson Erica Elliott twittered, "So...I'm confused...does POTUS want a deal or not? Because all those jabs at Congress certainly sounded like a smack in the face to me,"

So...Erica...I too am confused...is your pride more important than doing the job that Congress and especially the House supposed to do? What's more important, your freaking pride or doing what's best for the country?
See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Is it pride or principle? ...the principle that we must spend less than we take in?
Do people on the left even understand that Obama wasn't willing to talk about ANY spending cuts as part of this deal? He wants to use the additional money brought into government coffers for MORE spending!

Is that what the left really thinks is "best for the country"??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
See below...

Do people on the left even understand that Obama wasn't willing to talk about ANY spending cuts as part of this deal? He wants to use the additional money brought into government coffers for MORE spending!

Is that what the left really thinks is "best for the country"??
Prove that: do you specifics, or a source for that claim?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM

858 posts, read 707,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
What Obama wants is not best for the country. Therefore in resisting him the GOP is doing what is best for the country.

That's your opinion and actually a majority of Americans disagree with you. Either way, if what GOP is doing is best for the country, are you going to feel that way if their stubbornness causes the market to sink? If another recession starts? If America's credit rating gets downgraded? I bet you'll blame Obama for that though even though it's the GOP's fault nothing is getting passed.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
As I said on another thread I firmly believe this crisis was staged to allow our elected reps to pass a budget that effective changes very little. Both sides get to keep wasting money. DC has become a soap operah.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
There will be many posters on here that agree with what the GOP is doing because they suffer from the same issues with pride as their elected officials. When people can look into the mirror everyday knowing they're putting theology over progress we have a real problem in Washington.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes...
I agree and you might want to also address this to you and the other Dem lovers.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It is politically beneficial for Democrats if there is no deal, and our economy goes into deep recession in the coming months. In 2014, the blame will go to Republicans which could allow the Democrats to take a super-majority in the House and Senate.
And then if they bungle their majority like they did in 2009, perhaps they will lose it all in 2016 just like they did in 2010.

I'm hoping things will be different in 2016. I think by that time the "blame Republicans" strategy will be pretty well used up. At some point you actually have to run on what you've accomplished. Even His Majesty FDR eventually started losing support as the depression dragged on and on and his policies were doing no good before WWII revived his presidency.

At this point the Democrats don't have a star to replace Obama next time. This last election was Obama vs Republicans. It wasn't really Democrats vs Republicans, as in the House and Senate the Democrats made only slight gains. Nor was it Obama vs Romney, as Romney had no real star power even amongst conservatives. Romney was not Reagan. Obama ran on the strength of being Obama. He presented no clear strategy for the future and was not elected with any particular mandate. He was simply elected because people liked him more than the other guys. But he can't run again. Some other guy is going to have to run on Obama's record, which Obama himself didn't want to run on in 2012.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Apparently President Obama hurt the feelings Republican House members during his "fiscal cliff" press conference leading some to say that his remarks about Congress threaten to scuttle the deal. Eric Cantor's spokesperson Erica Elliott twittered, "So...I'm confused...does POTUS want a deal or not? Because all those jabs at Congress certainly sounded like a smack in the face to me,"

So...Erica...I too am confused...is your pride more important than doing the job that Congress and especially the House supposed to do? What's more important, your freaking pride or doing what's best for the country?

so when taxing the rich doesnt pan out and doesnt bring in enough money, will the dems say that we now need to tax everyone more that makes more than 30k?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
This entire deal is a waste. It solves nothing.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:

We don't need no stinking king!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
At this point the Democrats don't have a star to replace Obama next time. This last election was Obama vs Republicans..
Wrong. 2016 will be 2012 on steroids, 2008 on steroids squared.

It is now the Democratic nominee with the wind at his/her back via demographics, vs a GOP ready for 1984 88% white electorate America. But the 1984 ship has already left, and now the GOP needs to learn to deal with a 70% at most white electorate.

Obama's personality popularity may have added 1 or 2 states vs other Dems, but at 332 electoral, they have more states to spare.

GOP vs changing America. That is the new normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies